At last...I'm getting a pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
When i was admitted to hospital with DKA as a result of a chest infection learner this year the diabetes nurse who came to see me (on the "Older person's Ward 🙄) she noted my symptoms of gastroparesis - and the main problem with that is correcting hypos. If it takes an hour or more for any effect of glucose, or Jelly Babies that you take to avoid going down to BGs of 3 or less, you end up with a latter spike of too many JB's.

The way to avoid that is never to go hypo, and the way to avoid that is with a pump that switches off insulin when going low, and, for that matter, increases insulin when going too high.

Well I finally got to see the consultant yesterday, and the first thing she discussed was which pump I would prefer, preferably making a closed loop system. The one that fitted my requirements best (and the one, she said, she would use if she had to) was the Ypsomed YpsoPump. Now, I had never heard of this pump, probably because it's fairly new, but it is well thought out machine. For a start, it can use standard insulin vials as used in Pens, so no fiddley filling insulin. It works in loop with either the Dexcom G6 or Libre 3 and the App on your phone. I will, of course, use the Dexcom G6 because it can be calibrated. (Even the best sensors can occasionally be a bit wayward). There is a button on the App that will order this - not available on the Libre 3. In fully automatic mode you simply set your upper limit (~11) and lower limit (~5) and leave it to do that. It learns if your boluses tend to be inaccurate, or whether your basal dose is too high or low. Plus all the usual tricks - extended boluses and al the usual stuff you get with a pump.

That's all I need. Even the infusion sets have 360 degrees rotation, so the delivery tube is always in the ideal position. The cases that you put the pump in that clips to your trousers have the same 360 rotation, so it's hard to find a position that would affect the pump's performance, specially being 70 and in a wheelchair!

So the next week or two will be being shown how to use it, and I will no longer have to pay for my Dexcom sensors. They will be on prescription, because the pump will only work with them. (In a loop). And being Dexcom, I know there will be excellent service.

It's worth looking at this pump when it comes to change yours - it's NHS friendly - it costs an even £1000.

Nice!

I looked at the YpsoPumo and my trainer said they were moving to it when they're due for a new pump. I decided to go with the T:Slim because there weren't many YpsoPump users and I could find a lot more online support for the T:Slim.

Out of curiosity, is the £1000 for the pump paid by the patient or is it covered by the NHS?

When i was admitted to hospital with DKA as a result of a chest infection learner this year the diabetes nurse who came to see me (on the "Older person's Ward 🙄) she noted my symptoms of gastroparesis - and the main problem with that is correcting hypos. If it takes an hour or more for any effect of glucose, or Jelly Babies that you take to avoid going down to BGs of 3 or less, you end up with a latter spike of too many JB's.

The way to avoid that is never to go hypo, and the way to avoid that is with a pump that switches off insulin when going low, and, for that matter, increases insulin when going too high.

Well I finally got to see the consultant yesterday, and the first thing she discussed was which pump I would prefer, preferably making a closed loop system. The one that fitted my requirements best (and the one, she said, she would use if she had to) was the Ypsomed YpsoPump. Now, I had never heard of this pump, probably because it's fairly new, but it is well thought out machine. For a start, it can use standard insulin vials as used in Pens, so no fiddley filling insulin. It works in loop with either the Dexcom G6 or Libre 3 and the App on your phone. I will, of course, use the Dexcom G6 because it can be calibrated. (Even the best sensors can occasionally be a bit wayward). There is a button on the App that will order this - not available on the Libre 3. In fully automatic mode you simply set your upper limit (~11) and lower limit (~5) and leave it to do that. It learns if your boluses tend to be inaccurate, or whether your basal dose is too high or low. Plus all the usual tricks - extended boluses and al the usual stuff you get with a pump.

That's all I need. Even the infusion sets have 360 degrees rotation, so the delivery tube is always in the ideal position. The cases that you put the pump in that clips to your trousers have the same 360 rotation, so it's hard to find a position that would affect the pump's performance, specially being 70 and in a wheelchair!

So the next week or two will be being shown how to use it, and I will no longer have to pay for my Dexcom sensors. They will be on prescription, because the pump will only work with them. (In a loop). And being Dexcom, I know there will be excellent service.

It's worth looking at this pump when it comes to change yours - it's NHS friendly - it costs an even £1000.
That is such good news @MikeyBikey
An interesting read about the Ypsomed pump. I shall be interested to read how the closed loop system works for you. I know it has had a massive impact on me both physically and emotionally.
I look forward to hearing more.

I was offered the Ypsomed YpsoPump wasn't keen so turned it down. Very pleased you are now going to join the pumping ranks @mikeyB 🙂

This brilliant news @mikeyB !

Heard very good things about it, it wasn't offered to me. Sounds promising. The filling of insulin is a little bit of a faff so using the same as the pens is useful.

Hope the next few weeks goes smoothly. Please keep us updated.

Great news! :D

That is such good news @MikeyBikey
An interesting read about the Ypsomed pump. I shall be interested to read how the closed loop system works for you. I know it has had a massive impact on me both physically and emotionally.
I look forward to hearing more.

Hey ho I am @MikeyBikey who is on MDI of porcine insulin and not @mikeyB slthough we are both handsome gentlemen in late middleage! :rofl:

It's covered by the NHS, but most other pumps cost more to the NHS.
Does the NHS also cover to cost of pump supplies (infusion sets, reservoirs, etc)?

Does the NHS also cover to cost of pump supplies (infusion sets, reservoirs, etc)?
That question is one I'll ask at my first appointment. Perhaps one of the pump owners can tell you.

That question is one I'll ask at my first appointment. Perhaps one of the pump owners can tell you.
When I got my pump approval that included all the consumables Too. They set up a contract and we are then responsible let for ordering them when needed, within a limit. I found I needed to change cannulas more often so my limit was reset to reflect this.

Our pumps are the property of the hospital, it we are responsible for the insurance of them, which we put on our household insurance as something that goes out and about with me. Again no problem.

I knew I'd had something Ypsomed in my diabetes history and I have. When I came off Humulin I & S and changed to Lantus/Novorapid the Lantus re-usable pen those Eli Lilly pens only used 'click on' rather than 'screw on' needles so my usual BD ones couldn't be used, so the pharmacist provided Ypsomed ones - which was when I gradually realised the BD ones hurt me as soon as I shoved em in my skin!!

I'm jealous of @mikeyB now, not having to fill cartridges would suit me 100% and the jolly ole Dexcom 6 seems much more reliable than Libre according to all the various users on here. Like the idea of being able to calibrate it too. I can well believe the D6 is more costly than the Libre 2 BUT if they're saving a couple of thousand ££ on the pump then surely to God the penny pinchers really have to be a bit more receptive?

Yes.
Just make sure you insure the pump on house ins as a named item that goes out and about with you.
The only thing I buy for my pump is the batteries and that's only because I object strongly to the price pump companies charge the NHS for them.

Yes.
Just make sure you insure the pump on house ins as a named item that goes out and about with you.
The only thing I buy for my pump is the batteries and that's only because I object strongly to the price pump companies charge the NHS for them.
Coverage is about the same here in Germany.

Insurance pays for the pump and all the supplies except insulin, which I pay €1 per 3mL penfill for.

I can get two cases or similar items per year covered by insurance. This year I got one case and a pack of screen protectors. Next year I plan on getting one case and a pack of USB covers (for Tandem t:slim). I think I could also order the small USB chargers and cable, but I'm fine with the USB chargers and cables I have.

Great to hear @mikeyB hope you get on well with it 🙂

Welcome to the dark side 😉

Is it the Cam APS that Ypso uses for looping? I think that was going to be the set up - though that may have been one of the emerging Omnipod variants (I get a little befuddled between Ypsomed and Omnipod and whether they are separate or linked!)

Nice to know there are lots of Hybrid Loop options for when my contract comes up for renewal - which isn’t too long now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back