Astrology-loving MP David Tredinnick 'convinced' practise can reduce strain on NHS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
While many people glance at their horoscope in the newspaper as a form of entertainment, a Conservative MP has suggested that astrology has a role in medicine.

MP for Bosworth, David Tredinnick, who is a member of the health committee and the science and technology committee, said he was not deterred by his critics whom he labelled “bullies”.

“There is no logic in attacking something that has a proven track record,” he told BBC News.

In an interview with the broadcaster, Mr Tredinnick said herbal remedies and healing were now becoming accepted in parts of the NHS, and he now wanted to promote astrology, which he claimed was not just about predicting the future, but gaining an understanding of personal problems.

On Tuesday, Mr Tredinnick told his fellow MPs in the House of Commons: “I am absolutely convinced that those who look at the map of the sky for the day that they were born and receive some professional guidance will find out a lot about themselves and it will make their lives easier."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ractise-can-reduce-strain-on-nhs-9629150.html

Words fail me 😱

When I read this earlier today I decided one of two things had to have happened:

• I took too many of the 'good' pills and was having a bad trip
  • I got sucked into a time warp and fetched up on April 1st reading a truly sad joke

But now it's following about the 'net. 😱 Is this fool channelling David Iycke or something?

When I read this earlier today I decided one of two things had to have happened:

• I took too many of the 'good' pills and was having a bad trip
  • I got sucked into a time warp and fetched up on April 1st reading a truly sad joke

But now it's following about the 'net. 😱 Is this fool channelling David Iycke or something?

How the h*ll does a man get on a science and technology committee spouting nonsense like this? Personally, I'm disgusted that he should be a part of government :(

Well wasn't Nancy Reagan convinced that her astronomer ought to advise Ronald?

Some herbal remedies are good - eg Digitalis. Thuja. Arnica. Comfrey for breaks and strains, but on the other hand it doesn't work half as quick as a plaster cast etc !

On Tuesday, Mr Tredinnick told his fellow MPs in the House of Commons: “I am absolutely convinced that those who look at the map of the sky for the day that they were born and receive some professional guidance will find out a lot about themselves and it will make their lives easier."

They will certainly find out one thing about themselves — namely, that they're a gullible idiot. 🙄 Whether they actually realise this is a different question altogether...

And I for one would like to know what this "proven track record" is. 🙄 As anyone knows who has the slightest knowledge of probability or statistics, if one makes enough "predictions" (by whatever method), it's almost guaranteed that some of them will prove to be true (especially if they're as vague as most astrological "predictions", many of which are worded in such a way that they can be interpreted as "having come true" almost regardless of what actually happened); a 100% failure rate is just as unlikely as a 100% success rate (for much the same reasons), and hence just as remarkable. The question is not whether there are true predictions, but whether there are a statistically significant number of them.

Surely this can't be true! How can someone who believes in astrology be a member of a government science and technology committee? He should be kept FAR away from anything to do with medicine. What a nutcase!

Surely this can't be true! How can someone who believes in astrology be a member of a government science and technology committee? He should be kept FAR away from anything to do with medicine. What a nutcase!

Surprised he's not in UKIP - maybe he will be come the election! 🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back