Asthma diagnosis 'may be wrong' in one million UK adults

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
More than a million adults in the UK may be wrongly diagnosed as asthmatic and be receiving unnecessary medication as a result, warns an NHS watchdog.

NICE says a third of adults diagnosed with this common lung condition have no actual clinical signs of asthma.

Some may have had asthma in the past, but many have probably been given an incorrect diagnosis, says NICE, which has drafted new advice for doctors.

But people should not stop medication on their own, warn experts.

Anyone who is concerned should talk to their doctor, they stress.

And asthma charities say under-diagnosis and under-treatment is still a big problem.

Three people die every day because of asthma. Most of these deaths could have been avoided through better control of the disease, says Asthma UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30997397

I was miss diagnosed as as having asthma twelve years ago. I still take the inhaler once a day just so I can tick the repeat prescription as if I dont then I get asked why Im not requesting the inhalers!
I have stopped taking asprin daily as this agrivates astma. I can exercide swim walk very briskly and run fast but never am I short of breath. Try telling the nurse at asthma clinic I dont need it and all I get is 'dont be silly course you do'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back