Asked Not To Eat In Ambulnace

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
As many of you will know I am dependent on Patient Transport for getting to/from appointments (Podiatry/Physiotherapy/Endocrinology/Ophthalmology/WHY). Patient Transport can arrive any time up to two hours before your appointment (even if it is 15 minutes away) and sometimes even after your appointment time :( . This means jiggling with insulin/food timings when I have a silly o'clock or early doors appointment. Physio is particularly tricky as the timing means I have to eat extra before and usually eat immediately after finishing (I drop on average 8 mmol/hour during physio). On average I have to wait 2 - 3 hours for my return journey giving me plenty of time to check BG/eat. However, today they were waiting as I finished. Checking my BG in was 5.3 with a vertical down arrow. Once onboard and underway I took out my lunch and started eating it. I was then asked "Michael, can you please not eat on the ambulance?". Anyway I explained things, backed up by the other crew member who has a Type I family member. I then had a couple of squares of chocolate as I was starting to feel hypo before finishing my lunch. The return trip took an hour longer than usual as there were others on board. BG was 6.3 when I disembarked.

The crew getting basic notes on passengers and mine says "Type 1 diabetic, Left BKA". I have had similar conversations in the past with PT crew, HCAs and a few trained nurses(!). I do feel Type I is not covered sufficiently in basic training for heath care assistants. It's not helped by MSM media's message of you cure it by losing weight and exercise!

Hi Mikey, from reading this and earlier posts the support from HCPs for you often seems poor to absolutely appalling. I really feel for you. As you say there should be more education across the board of the daily issues you face as a T1 with complications.

If I was was in that situation. I would have flashed the screen on my device and suggested, “this says otherwise.” Most the T1 misconceptions I get is that I need to eat all the time?

Glad you had the support of the other crew member @MikeyBikey

In your situation with those numbers I’d have hypo treated before having the sandwich as a follow-up, I think. When my BGs are dropping like that, normal food seems too slow.

I gave up using chocolate for dropping BGs a long time ago. it simply doesn’t have the speed required, because of the fat content.

It’s a bit annoying really. Too fast to eat for a regular snack, but not fast enough when you really need it! I do sometimes choose it as a mid-paced carb top-up on a dog walk, but if I’m honest it's usually because I just fancy some! :rofl:

Reading this story I have to admit got me a little angry @MikeyBikey but thank goodness for the other Ambulance crew member.At least he understood the situation you were in..
It's a pity his colleague didn't.

Back