Artificial pancreas tells your tablet when you need insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
As recently as the 1950s, one in three people diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes died within 25 years of diagnosis. People in the '50s had to monitor their glucose levels via urine testing and inject themselves with animal-derived insulin.

How far we've come. Today, researchers are working to develop an artificial pancreas for people with Type 1 diabetes that works with a smartphone or tablet to both monitors blood glucose levels and disperses insulin 24/7.

The goal, they say, is to reduce complications and improve the life expectancy of the millions of people with the metabolic disease -- because even though only 7 percent of them now die within 25 years of diagnosis, this rate is still far above general population mortality.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105...reas-tells-your-tablet-when-you-need-insulin/

As recently as the 1950s, one in three people diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes died within 25 years of diagnosis. People in the '50s had to monitor their glucose levels via urine testing and inject themselves with animal-derived insulin.
They were doing this until the early 1980's.
I still use animal insulin and more than happy with it. Last time I checked I was still alive as well :D

Personally I would not trust a machine 100% to deliver insulin without being able to over ride it when required.

My point with REDKITE the other day on parents expecting teachers helpers to inject there kids & kids of today having a hard time. Thigs look GOOD for a change 😉 Come on Boffins 😎

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back