Artificial intelligence predicts treatment outcome for diabetes-related vision loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A new approach that uses artificial intelligence to analyze retinal images could one day help doctors select the best treatment for patients with vision loss from diabetic macular edema. This diabetes complication is a major cause of vision loss among working-age adults.

Anti-vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) agents are widely used as the first line of therapy for diabetic macular edema, but they don't work for everyone. There's a need to identify who would benefit from the therapy because it requires multiple injections that are costly and burdensome for both patients and physicians.

"We developed an algorithm that can be used to automatically analyze optical coherence tomography (OCT) images of the retina to predict whether a patient is likely to respond to anti-VEGF treatments," said research team leader Sina Farsiu from Duke University. "This research represents a step toward precision medicine, in which such predictions help clinicians better select first-line therapies for patients based on specific disease conditions."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/01/200128115419.htm

I'm currently in line for anti-VEGF treatment, although that has been the case since 2013, but I've never quite hit the threshold. All well and good predicting people who will actually benefit from treatment, but I hope there is a good alternative for those who don't! 😱

I am one of the unlucky Diabetic patients who has developed DMO (Diabetic macular oedema) in both eyes and the many injections have only stabilized the sight. I am grateful for the treatment except the pain which can last off and on for two days whilst the eyes settle down. I will keep checking for any new scientific intervention because it is a debilitating disease and until you have lost some sight you have no concept how it affects your daily life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back