Article: What People with Type 1 Diabetes can Learn from Type 2s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemo

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Go to link to read whole of article

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/...-with-type-1-diabetes-can-learn-from-type-2s/

Admit it, Type 1s. In weaker moments, you look down your noses at the Type 2 diabetics. You know that their disease can result from poor lifestyle choices. You know that their treatment regimen, compared with yours, is simple.

And you're really tired of folks telling you: "Oh, my grandfather had diabetes, too!"

"It's almost like sibling rivalry," says diabetes educator and author Constance Brown-Riggs. "People with Type 1 diabetes feel that those with Type 2 get all the attention. People with Type 2 feel that Type 1 diabetes is 'really bad diabetes.' "

But clinicians such as Brown-Riggs and diabetics themselves point out that both types hold similar challenges and consequences. As a matter of fact, Type 2 diabetics sometimes outperform their Type 1 brethren.

Impossible? Far from it. The best-controlled, most-motivated Type 2s have lessons for all of us - Type 1s and even other Type 2s. Here are a few.

Taking a wake-up call

Type 1s know their disease isn't their fault. Type 2s don't have that reassurance. But that means some take their diagnosis as a serious motivator.

Brown-Riggs told me, "I have one women in my practice that was diagnosed with type 2 about eight years ago. She absolutely took her diagnosis as a wake-up call. She carefully plans her meals, counts carbs, exercises, monitors blood glucose and maintains regular contact with her health care team."

With that work, the woman is able to manage her illness without medication.

See rest of article on link

I can put my hand on my heart now and say i have never once compared the type 1 type 2 thing, in equal measures we all have our issues and problems, i would never say either regime is any easier then the other i have no idea what a type 1s regime is like , well apart from what i know on here.Alto of types 2 on here have worked very hard and unfortunetly some have had to go onto insulin it does not mean they did not work hard or have anything to be ashamed of.If i had to admit one thing though it would be that type 1s have it alot harder with insulin regimes,carb counting etc etc .But that does not mean i go around thinking allthe type 1s get all the attention

Thank you for the great link Nemo it is really thought provoking.

I can put my hand on my heart now and say i have never once compared the type 1 type 2 thing, in equal measures we all have our issues and problems, i would never say either regime is any easier then the other i have no idea what a type 1s regime is like , well apart from what i know on here.Alto of types 2 on here have worked very hard and unfortunetly some have had to go onto insulin it does not mean they did not work hard or have anything to be ashamed of.If i had to admit one thing though it would be that type 1s have it alot harder with insulin regimes,carb counting etc etc .But that does not mean i go around thinking allthe type 1s get all the attention

Thank you for the great link Nemo it is really thought provoking.

Me neither, My nan was type 2 apparently but never once compared myself. I'm too busy trying to get it right for me than worry about how I compare to someone else lol x

Me neither, My nan was type 2 apparently but never once compared myself. I'm too busy trying to get it right for me than worry about how I compare to someone else lol x

FANTASTIC point Lou,like most of us we want to get our individual diabetes spot on first before we go into comparisons of diabetes types x

And here am I, neither fish nor fowl, working my socks off to manage whatever it is I have and probably losing the battle. Where do I fit in this tidy little scheme?

Yes, and there it is, the same old annoyingly mistaken assumption that Type 2s have done this to themselves. OK, so I'm not a Type 2 any more but it still really pisses me off when people who should know better drag out that hoary old chestnut. Since diagnosis I've met any number of Type 2s, some skinny ones and some fat ones too, who were leading a pretty healthy life before the Big D and before diagnosis. They don't all exist on pizza and beer dammit. Type 2s, like everyone else come in all shapes and sizes and it's really hurtful and depressing to be told "you did this to yourself". Arrrggghhh!!!!! 😡

I have to say, the vast majority of people on this thread don't seem at all snobby about what kind of diabetes they have.I think i've only see a couple of of threads that desended into "my diabetes is worse than your diabetes" fights. Thank goodness, and the mods.
As a type 2 i do feel a bit paranoid, but that may be a complication of the disease (😉).I started of almost hoping that i was type 1 because that way it wasn't "my fault". I found the meet in London last year really opened my eyes to the fact that one disease wasn't acutally better or worse than the other. I almost said that they both had their pros and cons, but then i realised there weren;t any pros....We can both learn a lot from each other. And we do understand each other's feelings and fears. I have to say, i owe a ton of gratetude to Debs, a type 1 at work who explained to calmly to me that she'd been diabetic since childhood and that it did get easier, really. It doesn't matter if your sugars are high and you inject insulin to bring them down, or weather you just drink a lot and hope it goes away, we're in this together, and i'm really glad we can support each other in places like this.

"And you're really tired of folks telling you: "Oh, my grandfather had diabetes, too!""....look, my grandfather does happen to have diabetes....got a problem with that?😛 hehehehe

Rachel

I think the main thing is where it says type 1s know it is not there fault type 2s dont have that reasurance, but for some type 2s it is not there fault neither surely?? Is just a quesoing btw not starting anything x

what i love here is that there is no segregation between T1 T1.5 T2 mody or lada ...there are many variations of this diabetes lark ...like i recently posted on a fb site ...i operate an equal opps policy ..(.like this place).... we are all in it together and should SUPPORT each other like civilised human beings should X

One of the first things my doc said to me was that it was not my fault. It was always 50/50 whether or not I would be diabetic and now I am.

The book I am reading at the moment, First Year of Diabetes or somesuch puts the case that maybe, just maybe, it is the diabetes gene that causes the weight to pile on and not the weight that causes diabetes.

Like the idea of that but not 100% convinced. However, as I am aging, the weight is piling on because I am not as active as I used to be, can't remember the last time I even thought of running, might do a quick walk now and then but don't run for a bus, if I miss it there will be another one. Is that laziness or experience?

With diabetes, I have enough to worry about and learn without driving myself crackers wondering what other people think of me.

As in any walk of life there are always some people who will form prejudices based on the flimsiest of 'reasons'. I'm different to every other human being that has ever lived - I am unique 🙂 And so is everyone else 🙂

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hRZDFhn0XA (Life of Brian, contains some nudity)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back