Article on "time in range"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @Amity Island , an interesting article. I've pondered myself about how HbA1c can't reveal whether you're having peaks and troughs or being constant. Shame that CGMs are still quite expensive.
Regards Nick

Interesting indeed. I actually pay close attention to my time in range and the shape of my AGP graph as opposed to obsessing too much about HbA1c and the average blood glucose value. Mostly, this is because I have noticed quite a bit of variation between glucose meters and even different boxes of test strips for the same meter. The pass/fail criteria for control solution tests on strips are, to my way of thinking, quite relaxed. As such, it is somewhat futile to try to predict exactly what my next measured HbA1c will be. This can be a source of frustration. However, regardless of the exact HbA1c number, a flat AGP graph and a good 'time in range' number are very good measures of blood glucose control. The attached article is somewhat heavy going but may be useful nonetheless.

Attachments

Thanks...some light bedtime reading!

I dunno - fair enough but the factual stuff makes me wonder how much of an expert this bloke is - where on earth does he get the statement that medics have been relying on HbA1c 'for close on 30 years' from? They've been testing that for me consistently over the last 50 years - admittedly to begin with they referred to it as glycosulated haemoglobin - but it tested exactly the same thing.

I found it interesting, surprising really, that Canada with a population of 36million (as at 2022) has over 5m diabetics, whereas UK pop'n 67m has 4.8m diabetics.

Interesting stuff. There's another article here from 2020 with Partha Kar calling TIR "the next big leap in diabetes care".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back