'Arrogance' of ignoring need for sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Society has become "supremely arrogant" in ignoring the importance of sleep, leading researchers have told the BBC's Day of the Body Clock.

Scientists from Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, Manchester and Surrey universities warn cutting sleep is leading to "serious health problems".

They say people and governments need to take the problem seriously.

Cancer, heart disease, type-2 diabetes, infections and obesity have all been linked to reduced sleep.

The body clock drives huge changes in the human body.

It alters alertness, mood, physical strength and even the risk of a heart attack in a daily rhythm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27286872

Oh, I'd love to get a full 7 hours sleep a night, every night! 🙄

Me Too! I don't think it's the lack of sleep that caused my Big D, it's the Big D that affects my sleep.

Me Too! I don't think it's the lack of sleep that caused my Big D, it's the Big D that affects my sleep.

It's not just that it's the change in daylight hours up north. I don't want to complain about the birdsong at 4am, but I would really rather be asleep. And it's very nice to have a barbecue in the garden at 11pm but it does mean a late night yet again.

It's not just that it's the change in daylight hours up north. I don't want to complain about the birdsong at 4am, but I would really rather be asleep. And it's very nice to have a barbecue in the garden at 11pm but it does mean a late night yet again.

That's actually something I missed living down south all those years, though long dark winters do get a bit wearing I admit the long summer days are wonderful. I use earplugs to drown out the 4am chorus, including the scaffies!

Dawn chorus? Haven't heard a decent one for decades! I think all the birds must have migrated to Scotland in preparation for a successful Yes vote?

Andy 🙂

p.s. Note to self .... don't go off topic again for at least a month. 🙄

Foam ear plugs work very well for preventing being woken up by dawn chorus at home, or sheep & lambs bleating when camping etc. Persuading cat not to wake me up too early is more difficult. If I shut the bedroom door, she tears up the carpet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back