Arm update

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Having a broken elbow has been interesting diabetes wise.
My expectation was a raging high BG and needing oodles more insulin. However, that has not been the case. I have not needed to adjust the profile on my pump or use a "sick day profile". In fact, my BG has been more in range which is mostly down to less plummeting BGs when I exercise. Because walking is the only exercise I can do.

Taking my BG has been the only slight challenge. My CGM needed changing this week. I was restricted to using the same arm and requesting help to apply it. And finger pricking has been awkward. Since having a CGM, I only do one or two pricks a day (to confirm the CGM readings) so been less rigorous when it comes to finger rotation - being right handed, I use my left hand fingers. However, as my left arm is broken, I have been getting less blood out of those fingers. I think this is just down to not moving my hand as much rather than blood flow issues. So, I have been pricking my right hand which is not easy when your left hand cannot hold the lance device. Thankfully, the FastClix has a plunger on the end so I have been pressing it against my chest/collarbone.

Non diabetes-wise, I found the cast very uncomfortable and restrictive so was overjoyed when the ortho decided to remove it yesterday so I could move my arm more. I was less overjoyed when the x-rays showed my bone has moved and not knitted together so I need surgery to wire it together. Should be a day clinic next week and then, hopefully, it will start recovery.

Sorry you’re going to need surgery @helli What a nuisance after all that time wearing the cast. Well done on your innovative changes to your diabetes management though!

That sucks about needing surgery @helli , had a few surgeries & it's nothing to worry about although we do as its human nature to do so, but really hoping op is successful.

If you need help getting blood from your right hand then I can loan you my dog who will be happy to oblige.

Hope they can do the op asap @helli. Wishing you a swift recovery!

Hope they can do the op asap @helli. Wishing you a swift recovery!
I received a phone from the hospital call this afternoon inviting me for surgery tomorrow morning.
Although I know my work colleagues will not be happy (after two days, the guy I work with most of the time told me “the broken arm excuse is wearing thin”), I am pleased to sort it as soon as possible.
Fingers crossed there is no major trauma. The hospital told me “risk of life or limb will take priority over my surgery”. Fair enough, I guess.

Last edited:
Best of luck for tomorrow. Hope it all goes smoothly and your recovery is straightforward from then on.

Well yesterday was interesting.
Once again, having Type 1 was to my advantage and I was second on the list so I never got around to doing the work I bought with me to fill the waiting time.
I was not aware I needed to bring slippers and dressing gown as a day patient but it went some way to explaining the wheelie suitcase I saw one patient arrive with.
The anaethetist and I had a good long chat discussing diabetes, CGM, insulin pump and what anaesthetic choices we were going to make. The surgeon sent down a student who checked my consent form and drew a big arrow on my arm. I never met the surgeon.
As they fed me my pre meds before going down, I realised a novel about a controlling psychopath who drugged his wife was not ideal reading as I downed a cocktail of drugs.
The anaesthetics was the most interesting part. Before the General, they blocked the nerves to my arm. Using an ultrasound they detected the nerves and carefully positioned the needle. It was fascinating to watch the ultrasound screen.
Next I knew was coming round in recovery. As with previous surgery, my heart rate was in the low 40s. This time they were not concerned. So I was wheeled back to the ward to my room - yes, in a NHS hospital as a day patient, I had my own room with an en suite. I was fed marmalade on toast and a nice cuppa then released from the “leg squeezer” which stopped dvt and I passed the last of the three tests - eat, drink, wee - to be was allowed to get dressed and go home.
Dressing was strange as my arm with the nerve blockers did nothing. Out of habit, I released it from the sling to tie my shoe laces and then realised it was like wearing a Halloween octopus costume - my arm was one of the tentacles hanging around with no feeling and no control (or pain).

My BG had remained in the 6s throughout surgery but once I was awake it climbed. I thanked the NHs gods once again for my pump so I could use a temporary basal. It is now at 170% to keep things steady. I tried 140% and then 160% overnight but I still needed boluses to keep it under 10.

My arm is back under my control and I have realised why I was given so many painkillers. It is currently uncomfortable but not painful.

I am now looking forward to recovery.
(But told @Bloden ’s ex that I will not be working this week.)

Reading about your arm I'm glad I have never broken any bones.
Hopefully now your bone will heal quickly allowing you to get back to normal life with 2 fully functional arms

Oh my goodness, what an awful experience. Wishing you a speedy recovery (ignore Mr Sympathy!)

Glad it all went smoothly @helli and that you have told them you won’t be back at work this week.
Rest well

Good to hear the surgery went well and hoping your recovery is smooth and speedy from now on.

Make sure you take all the time you need to get better.
I couldn’t believe the impact my operation had on me I was exhausted. Diabetes was fine I was just drained.
Glad they got you in and sorted quickly. When is the check up?

Back