Are there any tests you can do at home for neuropathy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Is there anything you can buy or any test you can do at home to check for neuropathy? my GP uses a tuning fork for my feet but wondered whether you can buy one of these, i bet they're expensive and i wouldn't really know how to use it. At home i have a blood pressure monitor, a cholesterol monitor and urine sticks to check for protein, the only thing i haven't got is something to test for neuropathy.

the doctors poked my feet with a pin to test for neuropathy - you could try that :D

You need to get someone else to touch you while you keep your eyes closed eg with blunt pencil point or tip of a cable tie, rather than pin - not aiming to break skin. If you touch yourself, you'll know when you're doing it.

the doctors poked my feet with a pin to test for neuropathy - you could try that :D

Not recommended! 😱 The podiatrist/doctor will use a nylon strand, not a pin, with no chance of it penetrating the skin. You can't use it yourself either - the whole point is that you can detect the sensation without being able to predict it. If you are doing it yourself, you know it's going to happen! (in the same way that you can't tickle yourself!)

Neuropathy is something that it really needs a trained professional to test for, because only they know how to interpret what can be quite subtle problems.

Hi Carina,

sorry can't help with your test but would be interested to know which cholesterol kit you have and is it accurate.

Lanzlady

the podiatrist used a nylon strand - the nurse used a pin 🙂

I wouldn't go near her again! 😱

hahaha - i havent! :D it wasnt a sharp one, at least i think it wasnt 🙂 - she was a bit of a cow, first she moaned because i have numb feet then she made a sarcastic remark about not bringing a wee sample. i wasnt told to bring one -maybe i should always carry one just in case 😉

You need to get someone else to touch you while you keep your eyes closed eg with blunt pencil point or tip of a cable tie, rather than pin - not aiming to break skin. If you touch yourself, you'll know when you're doing it.

Thanks for that tip I'm going to persaude OH to try it out on me, if he dare stand the smell.:D

Lanzlady: in answer to your question, the cholesterol monitor i have i bought online shipped from the US. I haven't used it for a while but when i bought it it was quite expensive and the strips are expensive too so it's been sitting in the drawer for a while but i did notice the other day when i went into my local Lloyds Pharmacy, they have started selling cholesterol monitors for 29.99 (mine cost me a lot more than that). I will have a look tomorow at the make of mine and let you know 🙂

I don't think its easy to test yourself for peripheral neuropathy, though if you get tingling or numbness in your feet or fingers on a regular basis you should see your Dr.

My podiatrist uses a cotton bud to check sensetivity. With my eyes closed I have to tell him which foot he is touching and whether top bottom left or right side.
He then has a vibrator thing which is adjustable (steady girls!), and I have to tell him when I can feel it. Then he tells me the results are pisch! (See earlier post)

RWJ: when you say your podiatrist, is this your podiatrist/chiropodist that you see privately or via NHS? It's just that it looks like although i have a 6 montly diabetic review at my practice, my GP does the feet testing (with tuning fork) only once a year (i've had my first one already) but i'd like my feet checked on a 6 monthly basis so would this mean i will have to see a private chiropodist and pay? - i get a bit confused about the feet issue and getting checked :confused:

Carina
This is NHS Podiatrist, I have had regular checks since diagnosed 3 years ago. Bit more technology than a tuning fork! You should be able to ask your GP or DSn for a referral I would have thought? Give it a try.

If you have no problems then you only need it done once a year and lots of practice nurses can carry out the basic checks, if you want it done more often then I expect you'll need to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back