Are appointments happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clem68

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Are many of you on here still having appointments, virtual or face to face, with your diabetic team? I live in East Lancs and my last consultant appointment was in Feb 2020 when I was referred to be started on pump therapy and my last DSN appointment was when I was started on the Omnipod in January 2021. I have had no follow up appointments since being starting on the pump. In some ways I'm quite happy to be left alone, but on the other hand I'm concerned I've been completely forgotten about as I was moved from the diabetic team I was seeing in the community to the Pump team at East Lancs hospital.

I have continued to have appointments every 12 months-ish (more like every 13 to 14 months). The last one was in person but prior to that they were virtual (which I preferred).
I have a pump which I am left to my own devices on. But this is because I am the only person in my clinic with my pump so they understand that I know more about it than they do.
The main reason I maintain appointments is for the blood tests and health checks, It sounds as if you should be pushing for these at the least.

I had my last "in person" appointment with the consultant in Feb 2020 just before lockdown but I have had approx. 8 month telephone appointments since then and my next one will be next Tue. Just been down to my GP practice this morning to get a blood test done for it and hand in my urine sample.
I was expecting to go onto yearly appointments but consultant wanted to stick with 6months, which in reality stretches to 8-10 months by the time appointments are arranged. Whilst I have a few little things to get sorted in my appointment next week I am managing things really well and would be happy to go onto annual appointments. I am pretty sure he will be more than happy with my Libre results and I expect the HbA1c will more or less (probably slightly more 🙄) tie in with that but always interested to get my cholesterol results because I follow a low carb, higher fat way of eating and I don't take statins.
I agree with @helli that you should push for an appointment even if it is only to touch base and give feedback and most importantly get bloods done.

I have continued to have GP phone consultations during the pandemic and last year had nurse appointment to check my feet etc. Have also attended for 3 HbA1c blood tests at surgery in that period.
Have just been given appointment for routine retinal scan at hospital.
So you should press to get appointment (s).
Good luck. Nick

Had few recently, feet check eyes appointment with DSN, prefer face to face with diabetes team as phone calls always seem rushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back