Are all popadoms equal or are some more equal than others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_Z1a

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
This is a bit weird, I can normally have three popadoms with my take away curry with onion chutney no bother at all, even if I eat them first. However trying a different take away cos my fav was shut for ramadan I had two of theirs and got spiked, not seriously but much more than normal with the main meal just being chicken tika and salad, not my usual bhuna, so expected the same if not lower readings. Popadoms looked and tasted the same but can they be made with different ingredients?
Another oddity, I always have a larger beer whilst cooking dinner, about 9 carbs,, it LOWERS my readings by a full point, eh?

Alcohol makes the liver change behaviour and can cause BG to lower.

I would think it entirely possible that similar items made in different places are not made with exactly the same ingredients. Also whatever else you are eating can have an effect, fat slows the digestion down so if the rest of the meal consists of less fat than usual then the carbs might spike you more.

Regarding alcohol, normally your liver trickles out reserves of glucose into the blood stream to keep your brain supplied with a constant source of fuel even when you aren’t eating; the liver can’t multitask however, so whilst it is busy removing alcohol from the blood, it can’t continue supplying glucose at the same time and so your blood sugar drops. It’s why even non-diabetics who have been on a drinking session can get the munchies!

Brilliant answer, thank you Sally, love the thought of a non multitasking liver, you put it in a way I could really understand. Explains why as a student many years ago after a few beers it HAD to be the curry house straight after! lol!

Explains why as a student many years ago after a few beers it HAD to be the curry house straight after! lol!
It's what a lot of us did on Saturday nights - it doesn't matter how old we were or now are - after a night involving alcohol - everyone without exception got an attack of the munchies - I should think just prior to the late 1970s it would have been the Chinese and prior to that, the Chipshop - or of course there were mobile hamburger and hot dog sellers and the hot roast chestnut 'bakers' in cities. Cracking food that upset nobody's stomach. Never eaten by little kids - why on earth would kids be about at THAT time of night!

Love poppadomswith curry, just know supermarket ones vary in carb even though same weight, so guess is takeaways might be same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back