Appt with my consultant today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peely66

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Finally had a face to face with my Consultant today. The outcome was quite similar to many of my 5th form school reports..."Could do better". It's true, yes, I could do better and will endeavour to do so before my next appointment but my main take away from it was pumps. He mentioned that pumps in the form of hybrid closed loop systems will be made available to all type 1 diabetics in the next 5 years. Is this old news to everyone else on the forum I wondered?
He didn't make much of the fact that my last eye screening showed no signs of retinopathy which I thought deserved a mention. It's curious going back to seeing a consultant rather than the relative limbo that I felt I was in whilst being monitored by my GP surgery. Sometimes you just want someone to acknowledge that what you're doing is bloody hard and OK it might not be perfect but you're doing OK.

What's a "non invasive sensor"? Does such a thing actually exist?

Think it might have become official...this is dated 7/11/23

A landmark announcement by the National Institute of Health Care and Excellence (NICE) outlines details of who will be offered hybrid closed-loop technology in England and Wales and how it will be rolled out over the coming years.
NICE have today announced details of the outcome of their appraisal for hybrid closed-loop systems – recommending that over the next five years hundreds of thousands of people living with type 1 diabetes should be offered this next-generation technology to help them manage their condition.

Last edited:
I hear you and think you do very well. Amazing in fact because they only deal with the odd appointment and emergency you deal with this daily. Well done.

Presumably he was referring to those smart watches that promised so much and delivered so little. (which you see advertised for sale now, though, but with the proviso that they're not for medical use! The phrase Chocolate teapot springs to mind)

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the recognition and encouragement from your consultant appointment that you hoped for and were left feeling underwhelmed.
Did you raise the topic of a pump or was it something that the consultant brought up. Just wondering if this information was being used to encourage you and give you hope or fob you off from being put forward for a pump now?

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the recognition and encouragement from your consultant appointment that you hoped for and were left feeling underwhelmed.
Did you raise the topic of a pump or was it something that the consultant brought up. Just wondering if this information was being used to encourage you and give you hope or fob you off from being put forward for a pump now?
He brought it up. I'm not sure how I feel about having more stuff attached to me 24/7 but, I guess I'll cross that bridge when it comes to it.

Yes it was underwhelming but made a change to actually talk to someone about the diabetes rather than an HCP at my local surgery who, despite the great work they do (I wouldn't want to dis anyone in the NHS in the current climate) dont't really have the in depth knowledge for a discussion and are just ticking boxes on a computer.

He's just referring to CGMs.

The NICE announcement is about what will be published in the next week or two, which is the rollout of HCL to most people with T1 over the next 5 years. Prof Kar is suggesting that during that (likely at the 3 year mark) the criteria will be widened to include everyone with T1.

Bring it on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back