Approx Mmol conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KGL

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I’ve been doing some research this morning to try and get an idea of how I’m progressing 1 month into my new eating habits. I have my follow up blood test in just over a month’s time and I am aiming to get into the pre-diabetic range by then having a reading of 53 the first time.

I’ve found a calculator online that gives an approximate conversion. I realise the tests are not testing the same thing but according to the calculator my average fasting of 8 which tends to be the highest of the day would give a glycated hb result of approx 49.14. I’ve only been testing for two weeks.

If this is right, it’s reassuring that I’m on the right track and with another month before my test I can get it down still further.

Any feedback would be appreciated Have I got the wrong end of the stick? Hoping not because I can stop fussing and carry on with what I’m already doing.

I find a1c is hard to predict as it is an average of the last 2-3 months. Even with day to day testing its hard to know.

If your daily readings are falling then just keep doing what you are doing 🙂

Any questions about testing routines or anything else?

Sounds like you are doing really well @KGL

As you rightly point out, the two pieces of information are measuring different things, and while there is a relationship between the two, it isn’t a hard and fast mathematical one.

Most of the formulae I am aware of are drawn from a ‘best fit’ from empirical data (where they have a number of pairs of A1c values and averaged fingerstick BGs). They can give you a vague idea, but in practice you might find that your results are usually higher or lower than the prediction (eg the predicted A1cs are usually lower than my actual results).

Are you only testing your morning fasting BG or are you also testing at other times of the day, like before and 2hs after meals? If you are only using fasting readings then you are probably not getting a representative sample to use an average. The more BG tests you do per day, the closer the average will convert to your actual HbA1c but even with Freestyle Libre which samples your glucose levels automatically every few minutes day and night, it still usually calculates an HbA1c which is about 2-3mmols lower than your actual blood HbA1c result.
Looking for trends is the key thing with BG levels to focus on with diabetes.

If you look in this thread

you will see something of my attempts to relate finger bodge data and HbA1c results from my own data.

I have been finger bodging at all times of the day, sometimes a bit randomly, rather than just looking at waking values to get a better idea of the average reading but there is no data for the hours when I am sleeping so it is probably a bit of an overestimate of the average.

Either way up, I am treating it as an interesting exercise and would not suggest you use the data to predict what would happen for you.

Are you only testing your morning fasting BG or are you also testing at other times of the day, like before and 2hs after meals? If you are only using fasting readings then you are probably not getting a representative sample to use an average. The more BG tests you do per day, the closer the average will convert to your actual HbA1c but even with Freestyle Libre which samples your glucose levels automatically every few minutes day and night, it still usually calculates an HbA1c which is about 2-3mmols lower than your actual blood HbA1c result.
Looking for trends is the key thing with BG levels to focus on with diabetes.
Hi - thank you for your response.

I’m only testing randomly at the moment to be honest as I don’t want to get obsessed with it and be scared to eat anything in case my bg shoots up.

I’ve not had a firm diagnosis but my first blood test was just in the diabetes range. Dr suggested a second blood test in 2 months to confirm or otherwise so I have time to consider lifestyle changes to see if I can drop below 48 at my next blood test and avoid a firm diagnosis and its implications.

I know that I have been indulging in sweet and sugary foods far too much for far too long so cut this out entirely from day 1 and I have been working on reducing my carb intake gradually after reading advice on the forum. My carb target has reduced to 130g a day now but I do allow extra if I have a training session that day but only if I feel I need it while my body is adjusting.

I know I am now eating well and healthily so testing morning and night is working for me at the moment whilst I watch for a downward trend.

I’m also testing before I eat after exercise, to learn what my bg levels look like when I’m properly hungry as those readings have been well within normal range.

I know I’m eating the right things now in the right quantities and weight is dropping off me, so unless I am actually diabetic rather than an over eater with a sweet tooth I believe I can’t fail to reduce my blood test reading given how I’m eating now compared to how I was, but I understand that if I don’t test during the day I’m not going to be able to predict it. That’s ok though, I’m just curious.

Is that a naive approach do you think? I’d value your feedback. ☺️

You'll get a rough idea of where your HbA1c might be if you average your fingerprick test over the previous 3 months. I've done this from the start and based on my subsequent HbA1c results (4 so far) I would say fingerprick average +/- 2 would be ball park.

Thank you. Sounds like it’s too early to predict then as I am only a month into the new me.

You can adjust the portion size or balance and retest.
So for example your porridge and berries that you posted on the waking thread, taking the porridge portion down by say 1/4 - 1/3 and adding in more berries to bulk it out might be just a better portion for you.

The meal testing isn't always a straight up avoid, it can be a readjust and balance. Also finding some things you can eat more freely than you thought is very nice too 🙂

Couple of rules for ruling out foods.
Don't do it on one test alone. Some days your body can just do weird things and misbehave.
Try a readjustment and test it again.

I saw your waking was over 8. T2s generally have a target of 8.5 after a meal but for now, concentrate on figuring out what falls into the 2-3 rise first and hopefully it will all fall into place and under the 8.5 over time.

Ask as many questions as you need to if you aren't sure of anything 🙂

You can adjust the portion size or balance and retest.
So for example your porridge and berries that you posted on the waking thread, taking the porridge portion down by say 1/4 - 1/3 and adding in more berries to bulk it out might be just a better portion for you.

The meal testing isn't always a straight up avoid, it can be a readjust and balance. Also finding some things you can eat more freely than you thought is very nice too 🙂

Couple of rules for ruling out foods.
Don't do it on one test alone. Some days your body can just do weird things and misbehave.
Try a readjustment and test it again.

I saw your waking was over 8. T2s generally have a target of 8.5 after a meal but for now, concentrate on figuring out what falls into the 2-3 rise first and hopefully it will all fall into place and under the 8.5 over time.

Ask as many questions as you need to if you aren't sure of anything 🙂
Thank you. I love a pragmatic answer! Will try a reduced portion and see what happens.

Itezted again half a hour after my high reading because the same collection was a bit clumsy in the first one and ended up as a double dip. The second reading was 8.7 so I’m inclined to think it was a rogue reading. Fingers crossed it is.

My readings are on the high side a month in to my new added sugar free habits but then I haven’t been testing long so I don’t know What the reading would have been under my old habits. I guess I just have to be patient and remember that it has taken months/years to get to my current state so it’s not going to correct in 4 weeks. :-(

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I think my next step is to test more often now as look for trends. 🙂

Diabetes, like many other medical challenges we face, can react differently from person to person. We do have guidelines and averages but, as I say to many people, "Our body is like a combination lock. We have different combinations".

For example, my morning rise can vary between 5.5 mmol/L to 8.5. Many of those with Type 2 Diabetes can experience a "liver dump" ... also known as "Dawn Phenomenon". That is when your body thinks it needs some energy (like getting up in the morning) so it releases stored glucose to help you get the energy boost that you need and that will give you a higher reading. Personally, I quite often will have a late-night bowl of cereal (like Honey Nut Cheerios) and that results in a lower glucose test reading when I get up in the morning. Your personal metabolic rate makes a difference.

I am Type 2 diagnosed about 8-10 years ago (gift from my mother's side of the family - many generations) and never have what is normally considered as low blood sugar. My key readings to watch for are before a meal and 2 hours after a meal. My glucose will go up after a meal but drop back down within that 2 hour window. If it doesn't drop fast enough then I have to take a look at what I ate, my activity, and my medication (Jardiance 25mg). I regularly discuss my ongoing results with both my Endocrinologist and family doctor. Lab blood tests every 3 months gives the most accurate HbA1c.

Because I was absolutely horrible, and negligent, at regular and timely finger-prick blood testing I switched to an FGM (Freestyle Libre). That was a real wake-up call to see the results ... changed my eating habits, etc. Expensive option, yes, but our company health plan covers it. I would gladly pay for it if it didn't. Our government health plan coverage (Ontario Canada) only pays for it if you are an insulin-dependent Diabetic. OK, I am a personal control freak but it is my body and my life/health.

I mention all of this hoping that you will stay as pre-diabetic or better. All the best in your glucose management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back