Approaching 4 years with Tandem - stick or twist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

martindt1606

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Amazing how quickly time flies, almost time for pump number 4. Is there a better alternative to Control IQ?

Iphone also needs an upgrade in the next few months so not dependent on iphone integration.

Interesting question Martin!

I started mid-2020 so I’m following a year or so behind. Will be interested to see what you discover from the current crop!

It will be interesting to read what you choose next.

I had a discussion at my last appointment about the comparisons between Tslim with Control IQ and the 780G in closed loop (which I currently use). They each have their pros and cons, but there was nothing that made me certain I would choose to swap, but I still have two years to go so who knows what will be available by the end of 2024.

Have previously only had a choice of one pump (Animas, Animas renewal, Tandem (when animas withdrew)), this time had a choice of 4 pumps: Tandem, MiniMed 780g, MyLife Ypso, OmniPad.

DSN advise - MiniMed and MyLife may have better algorithms which may improve blood glucose control - if your time in range was around 40%. Your time in range is around 85% so would not push you to change.

Personal thoughts:
MiniMed - I don't like the pump navigation (its like going back 4 years to the Animas Pump) and it doesn't integrate to the Dexcom G6. I've tried both Libra and Dexcom, I didn't particularly like the Libra and am not over interested in trying a third CGM.

MyLife / Omnipod - I can appreciate that there may be benefits to controlling your pump through another device, but I prefer to use my pump to show me my current blood glucose and to manage my Bolus activity. I was never embarrassed injecting in public, and personally think Bolus using the pump is less embarrassing than Bolus through a phone or other device - mobile phones have no place at the dinner table 🙂, Also i don't want the added risk / worry that would come from not having all the pumps bits and pieces attached to my body - i'm not going to lose or forget to take it with me,

To summarise I wanted a pump that I couldn't lose, that has a good display, easy to use user interface, that is positioned for future upgrades, and has the integration to Dexcom G6. So I will be sticking with the Tandem, I've had 3.5 years with no worrying issues and I have my own manual processes that I know will work when Control IQ isn't slowing a rising trend or extra assistance is required to reverse a falling trend before it reaches Hypo. These would need to be changed if the pump and CGM were to change.1674489243894.png

Having my first Animas was a step change in my blood glucose management, the Libra gave me a hint at what could be possible, there was a second step change when I moved on the Tandem / Dexcom G6, I will continue to wait patiently for the development of the dual pump where glucagon can be automatically delivered to stop the fall into Hypo territory (this I would recognise as an "artificial pancreas").

As i was in clinic the DSN thought it would be a good idea to have a blood test. So pleased that I did as my lowest HbA1c in the 12.5 years since my total pancreatectomy was 55, this i find astonishing:

1674489243894.png

Guess I would be mad to change what seems to be working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back