Approach To Diabetes Self-Management Too Narrow, Study Suggests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A new study from researchers at Queen Mary, University of London reveals the many difficulties faced by people with diabetes in self-managing their disease.
People with diabetes have to invest a great deal of time and effort to manage their condition. This includes not only monitoring the level of sugar in their blood, organising their medication and following a restrictive diet but also social challenges such as negotiating relatives' input and gaining access to doctors when they need to.
In Britain the primary strategy for helping patients is a short educational course on how to self-manage the condition. The new research suggests that this approach is unlikely to succeed in isolation because it ignores the many factors that are outside the patients' control such as food labelling in restaurants, local availability of healthy foods and the expectations and behaviour of other people within family members, at school and at work.
Diabetes is an incurable disease which can have serious complications such as heart disease, kidney failure and blindness. It affects 2.6 million people in the UK and this figure is predicted to rise to four million by 2025.
Only around one per cent of a diabetic person's time is spent in the company of health professionals. The remaining 99 per cent of the time, the patient is managing their own diabetes.

http://www.newsroomamerica.com/stor...lf-management_too_narrow,_study_suggests.html

Wow. That's one of the most powerful and informative studies I've read.

It actually describes what it's like to be a diabetic in the real world. I could identify with some of the cases and could certainly empathise with others.

I hope it's read by a few who can make changes.

Actually feeling emotionally affected by it. Not a bad result for an academic paper!🙄

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back