applying for jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

joimes75

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Chaps

Sorry i am sure this has been asked before .. but.. do i have to mention the fact that I have Type 2 D upon a job application form. (It's an NHS job and being a public sector job has an 84 page form to fill in... grrr.)

Whilst there is a section upon disabilities i dont consider my current state of good control / recently diagnosed on pills only to warrant filling in that section - but i do out of principle like to be honest.

Anyway the above jabbering was a round about way of my asking -
1) Should i put the details on somewhere &
2) Do i have to?

PS - There is no element of driving within the job (handily as i would crash rather rapidly as I dont know how to drive...) 🙂

Cheers
James

PS one day i will get to being able to answer other peoples queries rather than just asking questions all the time! honest!! :D

Hi Chaps

Sorry i am sure this has been asked before .. but.. do i have to mention the fact that I have Type 2 D upon a job application form. (It's an NHS job and being a public sector job has an 84 page form to fill in... grrr.)

Whilst there is a section upon disabilities i dont consider my current state of good control / recently diagnosed on pills only to warrant filling in that section - but i do out of principle like to be honest.

Anyway the above jabbering was a round about way of my asking -
1) Should i put the details on somewhere &
2) Do i have to?

PS - There is no element of driving within the job (handily as i would crash rather rapidly as I dont know how to drive...) 🙂

Cheers
James

PS one day i will get to being able to answer other peoples queries rather than just asking questions all the time! honest!! :D

in an equal opps situation you should be able to disclose http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Disabled...ork/DG_4000219

Employment is covered by the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA). This means it is unlawful for employers to discriminate against disabled people in their recruitment and selection procedures.

Under the DDA, employers must also consider making any ' reasonable adjustments' you might need in order to enable you to work for them.

However in reality see williams thread....

difficult one as i have an interview on wednesday...non equal opps...for a local shop...do i disclose or wait until i hear if i got the job or not

I think this time i will wait...:confused:

Hi,

I have filled in several application forms since being diagnosed in 2001. I declare the diabetes on the medical information form but have never declared in under any disability as it hasn't caused me any problems and I don't see it as a disability to my ability to do the jobs I've applied for.

Good luck with your application,

Andy

totally agree it isnt a disability, and shouldnt be regarded as one however it can be treated as one by employers or potential employers

I agree that employers can use it in the wrong way hence the need for the DDA. It's a shame as it can create the wrong impression as well.

It's a no win situation

right thanks guys 🙂 i have submitted the application without any mention and we shall see what happens!

Im making myself fill out one application a day.. i hate, loathe and detest applying for jobs!! grrr i've wasted almost all of my free time writing a personal statement along the lines of "yes i consider myself to be fantastically friendly and helpful and a workaholic... you would have thought HR would have learnt that these questions dont help you get the nicest people as they are too modest to admit to being nice workaholics... anyway i may be going off on a tangent again... :D

Am64 good luck with your interview!! :D am sure it will go well!!

lol, wow i didnt know such a shop existed!!... sounds great 🙂

PS - The Ottoman one looks great for hiding in and jumping out and scaring people!!

PPS -You may not want to mention what i just said at the job interview 😉

lol, wow i didnt know such a shop existed!!... sounds great 🙂

PS - The Ottoman one looks great for hiding in and jumping out and scaring people!!

PPS -You may not want to mention what i just said at the job interview 😉

yeah i know what you mean...but if i get it i will work 'alone once trained'

heeeeheeee :D check out the size of the caesar !!! :D:

any advice on interview technique...questions to ask very welcome haha

hi joimes75

i apply for nhs jobs as a porter all the time and ive never put down that im diabetic, as you say it asks if you have a disability, only fill that in if you feel you have a disability,if not dont ,

always disclose pre excisting medical conditions and if u have ever been in and out of hossi, as if you ever have a hyper or hypo and they dont know how to handle it they will ask why you did not disclose on the application , your form then becomes fraudeulent

You can put it as a disability if you want to, but you don't have to. However some jobs, particularly in the NHS and public sector operate a guarenteed interview system. So if you have a disability and meet the minimum requirements for the job you definatly get an interview.

For an NHS job you will have to fill in an occupational health form, before starting the job. You must declare your diabetes there, not disclosing information there could be grounds for dismissal, if they find out later and you've had time off because of diabetes but didn't declare it. If you get the job then you may be called ot see the nurse to discuss your diabetes and check you are in good enough health to do the job and any adjustments that need to be made.

good luck 🙂

You can put it as a disability if you want to, but you don't have to. However some jobs, particularly in the NHS and public sector operate a guarenteed interview system. So if you have a disability and meet the minimum requirements for the job you definatly get an interview.

This is the law for ANY employer not just NHS & public sector.

Rona

i've never mentioned it unless like it's been mentioned it's been required.

i ALWAYS tell people on the first day of being in a new job (i took a gap year, i had a few!) for my own safety. in a 'look, i have this condition, there's a small chance it might affect you guys if i need help, but i can pretty much deal with it by myself' kind of way. the past couple of times i've had the "luxury" of group email so i've just listed my symptoms of hypo, what to do, why it's important, etc.

I'm not gonna repeat what Sofarway said, but he/she's right, if they offer you an interview you'll get a very annoying Occupational Health form. Your interviewers won't be able to see it so can't make any decisions based on your health. But do put ot on there (yeah, i know it's a pain, i started a new job a month ago in the same department that i worked in before and the whole process was held up because HR wanted me to spend 5 minutes talking to Occy Health where i said , yeah i've been diagnosed a year, yeah it was a big shock, but i've got it under control...), my friend's having a hell of a time because Occy Health/HR missed her declaration of her learning disability, two years in the job and she's still being messed around by risk management. You shouldn't have a problem, i dunno what job you're applying for but we've got three diabetics in our hospital pharmacy, including me, one type one and two type twos, and maybe more, coz i'm not that nosey. Good luck with the job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back