Apple Cider Vinegar

Status
Not open for further replies.

She Davis4

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Anyone out there tried ACV?
I read that it can reduce insulin levels so I started taking one 300mg tablet two weeks ago with my evening meal and amazingly it seems to be working.
I am type 2, on insulin twice a day, and need to get the balance right so am starting to gradually reduce the amount I take in the evening - not finding this easy yet.

As far as I know @rebrascora takes a little ACV daily, but I think more for flavour than any significant BG reasons.

There are a lot of claims made, but the quality of scientific evidence is pretty poor. Mostly small short-term studies. And many on animals, not people. (https://www.health.harvard.edu/stay...cider-vinegar-have-any-proven-health-benefits)

I would certainly be cautious of spending money on tablets. I use Cider Vinegar occasionally in cooking (no BG lowering effect noticed).

Diabetes UK does not support or recommend the use of any of these supplements marketed towards people living with diabetes, because there simply isn’t enough evidence that they are safe and effective for people with diabetes to use.

A case of ‘buyer beware’ I think?

Why do you want to reduce your insulin levels? Surely you need them to increase? I would personally be wary of any thing that claims to “ cure” or help diabetes. Sorry if that’s not what you want to hear.

I use raw apple cider vinegar with "the mother" in a glass of water with fibre (psyllium and chia) on a morning first thing as an aid to digestion. The ACV with "the mother" has probiotic properties and the acidity seems to be beneficial to my digestive system in general. I would not claim that it made any difference to the amount of insulin I need but I am reasonably convinced that the combination of ACV and fibre is beneficial to my gut as my digestive system has never been so good as it is now. I actually have balsamic vinegar with the ACV as I prefer the flavour of the balsamic.

I would be wary of a tablet form of ACV, but then I prefer minimally processed foods and making ACV into a tablet is totally unnecessary processing in my opinion. It smacks of "trendy supplement" marketing and no doubt has a price tag to go with it.

What modifications have you made to your diet to help control your diabetes and reduce the amount of insulin you need if that is what you are trying to do?

Dr. Jason Fung briefly mentioned the subject of vinegar in one of his books. Even he wasn't sure about the mechanism of action.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back