Status
Not open for further replies.

lordburnside

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi,
I have started to take apple cider vinegar before breakfast and my evening meal followed by something small and veggie before my meal.
It seems to work lowering my glucose spike but it taste pretty grim! Its ok while you are drinking it with water but the aftertaste is a little unpleasant. I am thinking of maybe chewing a pickled onion or some flavoursome item say blueberries to get rid of the taste.
I got this from the Glucose Goddess but it seems to work!

Anyone tried this?

Hello @lordburnside, I am currently trying the high fibre food before each meal to line one's colon, sometimes with the vinegar drink and I'm partway through her 2022 book the Glucose Revolution.

My goal is to reduce glucose spikes, but as an insulin dependent T3c my options are different to yourself. I've tried juggling my prebolus times and so far not found any consistency from that. What I am finding is that the high fibre pre-meal food is very intrusive. Not just because within our family of 5 I'm on my own doing this, but the time needed to prepare an interesting high fibre starter is significant. The jury is out for me right now on the merits of the Goddess's "Hacks" (ie her top tips).

Once I've reached a conclusion I'll report back. Incidentally I don't just use cider vinegar; the vinegar from pickled beetroot or cabbage jars are a bit sweeter and much more palatable.

Hello @lordburnside, I am currently trying the high fibre food before each meal to line one's colon, sometimes with the vinegar drink and I'm partway through her 2022 book the Glucose Revolution.

My goal is to reduce glucose spikes, but as an insulin dependent T3c my options are different to yourself. I've tried juggling my prebolus times and so far not found any consistency from that. What I am finding is that the high fibre pre-meal food is very intrusive. Not just because within our family of 5 I'm on my own doing this, but the time needed to prepare an interesting high fibre starter is significant. The jury is out for me right now on the merits of the Goddess's "Hacks" (ie her top tips).

Once I've reached a conclusion I'll report back. Incidentally I don't just use cider vinegar; the vinegar from pickled beetroot or cabbage jars are a bit sweeter and much more palatable.
Thanks for that. I hate raw beetroot but the stuff in the jar is nice because of the sugar! That maybe a good idea vinegarwise but not sugar wise.

I use a mixture of ACV and balsamic vinegar with chia seeds and psyllium husk in water with about an inch of diet cola. Sounds a disgusting combination I know but I like the flavour and the combination of acidity and fibre works well for my digestive system. Like @Proud to be erratic I use the vinegar/juice from pickled beetroot if I have it.

I often have pickled beetroot and despite it being a root veg which has a higher level of carbs than other veg and sugar often being used in the pickling process, I find it has no impact on my BG levels and I can eat it from the jar with a fork and see no rise on my Libre graph. I find the addition of pickled beetroot or pickled gherkins means simple extra veg on my plate and adds a bit of zing, flavour wise, to a meal. I almost always have a large jar of one or the other on the go any any one time.

Thanks for that. I hate raw beetroot but the stuff in the jar is nice because of the sugar! That maybe a good idea vinegarwise but not sugar wise.
I ought to do some further homework. I was under the impression that fresh beetroot when cooked is 9% carb content and our current jar of pickled beetroot is 9.5%. So effectively the same thing. Freshly cooked beetroot is pretty sweet and the vinegar from pickling makes for a sweet and sour mix, for me.

Or were you just concerned about the 9% from the raw starting point? Because the beetroot content in my salad mixes is very modest my overall net carb content never exceeds 3% overall, usually <2%. I am finding that many high fibre foodstuffs to go into a salad are carb heavy anyway. Definitely more homework and research needed by me; I've got a list of high fibre foods in approx order from high to low but need to put some carb content alongside in that list!

I use a vinegar and olive oil dressing on my salads which might be an easier option than trying to drink vinegar, even if diluted.

Vinegar is dilute acetic acid. You make it by making fruit alcohol by fermentation and then adding bacteria to turn the alcohol into acetic acid and the whole thing into vinegar. I'm sure it was first discovered many moons ago when people trying to make booze, sorry wine, cocked up and instead of finishing up with the nectar of the gods were left with something only suitable for putting on chips. Apple cider vinegar is something you can make when your batch of cider goes wrong or you can make from apples not suitable for cider making.

Point is that it is difficult to see why apple cider vinegar should be any different to any other vinegar in terms of magical medical benefits. The important thing is the acidity and not the source. As such using the vinegar from any picked stuff (onions, beetroot, eggs, gherkins or whatever) seems quite sensible to me. Better than throwing it down the sink or paying silly money for a cider batch that went wrong.

I use a mixture of ACV and balsamic vinegar with chia seeds and psyllium husk in water with about an inch of diet cola. Sounds a disgusting combination I know but I like the flavour and the combination of acidity and fibre works well for my digestive system. Like @Proud to be erratic I use the vinegar/juice from pickled beetroot if I have it.

I often have pickled beetroot and despite it being a root veg which has a higher level of carbs than other veg and sugar often being used in the pickling process, I find it has no impact on my BG levels and I can eat it from the jar with a fork and see no rise on my Libre graph. I find the addition of pickled beetroot or pickled gherkins means simple extra veg on my plate and adds a bit of zing, flavour wise, to a meal. I almost always have a large jar of one or the other on the go any any one time.

I think the beetroot is a great idea as I also have raised blood pressure and evidently beetroot is good for that!

So I will certainly give pickled beetroot a try. Trouble is I have a full bottle of apple cider vinegar to use too.

Its just the aftertaste need improving on!

I think the beetroot is a great idea as I also have raised blood pressure and evidently beetroot is good for that!

So I will certainly give pickled beetroot a try. Trouble is I have a full bottle of apple cider vinegar to use too.

Its just the aftertaste need improving on!
Mix the cider vinegar with some reasonable quality oil to make a dressing; experiment by adding some mustard or chopped coriander - really the list of additives is endless. If you need a bit of inspiration browse in a supermarket like Waitrose their array of dressings and the identifiable added ingredients. Ignore the undeterminable letters, words and numbers! Saw one recently with strawberries; didn't buy it then, but got it in my brain as an option!

I don't find there is an aftertaste but then I don't drink it on it's own and always have a mixture of ACV and balsamic with a little diet cola and perhaps some pickled beetroot juice. When I had a rum and coke, I used to add the pickled beetroot juice too if I had any but had to cut the rum altogether as alcohol has been really upsetting my system, even just a small amount. :( My body is determined to make me healthy....developing diabetes has made me deal with my sugar addiction, cut the carbs and now quit the alcohol. Really hoping it doesn't take against cheese or I am goosed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back