Anyone want to play pump roulette?

Status
Not open for further replies.

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My insulin pump comes in two parts: the base which contains the "brains" and is used again and again and the patch which contains the battery and insulin and is replaced every 3 days.

I recently went through a week of 3 patch failures so I contacted the manufacturer thinking it may be a batch problem as that was 3 out 5 from the same box that had failed. They were very helpful and replaced the box but said it could be a problem with the base "wearing out" instead so replaced that too.

Now I have a new base, the remainder of the box of "dubious" patches and the new patches.
I hate waste so I am currently trying out the new base with the old patches.

I am not going anywhere for the next 3 days and, if it fails, I can change the patch whilst working from home (I just turn the camera off on a zoom call and keep talking) so I thought it was a good time for the experiment.

If this works, I have saved the NHS money (the patches are not cheap).
If it fails, I have wasted the insulin in the patch because, unlike other pumps, I cannot get it out with a syringe.

Anyone want to take bets on whether this patch will fail and, if so, when?

The first 24 hours have passed without event.
Only 48 hours to go before I decree these dubious patches "safe for a trip out."

Last edited:
You use the Medtrum pump don't you Helli? I had a horrible time at the start of using that - went through 4 pump bases before I found one that seemed to work (actually on the 5th base now!). I get far more failures with the Medtrum (even now) than I ever did when using my old Medtronic pumps/infusion sets. My skin also reacts awfully to the adhesive used (but I seem to have conquered that through using an underpatch). Hopefully this new base works out for you.

One thing - have you not tried to suck the insulin out of the reservoir using the supplied needles? That's worked for me when the failure has happened soon after application.

@RichardS I have been using Medtrum pumps for two and a half years now.
The A6 was definitely more stable than the Nano although I had more occlusions than my previous pump. I think part of that was due to the size and location for me so the Nano has helped in that regard.

I too get a reaction from the glue they use in the Nano. The underpatch was mentioned but somehow the offer of sending me a sample was lost. But I have been using Hypafix tape for nearly a year (I was one of the first in the UK to use the Nano and am aware I have been a bit of a guinea pig because I like trying out new things). The pump does not stick as well to Hypafix but I just put a thin strip across the top of it to hold it in place and it has never come off.

I tried a few times to suck the insulin out of the pump and failed.
Thinking about it, I am not sure I have tried since starting the Nano. I asked when I had the A6 pump start because that is what I used to do with my last pump. Medtrum (and my DSN) had never heard of it.
I will try it again when I change my current pump.

Despite quality issues with the pump, I have a great relationship with Medtrum which I maintain to keep them on my side (in the past, I have got a few freebies from them). They are always willing to help and possibly more open than their HQ would like wrt problems.

I started out using Hypafix but unfortunately it didn't prevent a reaction altogether so I am experimenting with DuoDerm Hydrocolloid dressings which are showing some improvement. I also use an overpatch!

I definitely don't feel as confident with this Nano pump as I did with the Medtronic (in terms of each pump/infusion lasting for its expected time) but I like the patch format much better (I didn't realise how much I would enjoy not having a tube!).

My insulin pump comes in two parts: the base which contains the "brains" and is used again and again and the patch which contains the battery and insulin and is replaced every 3 days.

I recently went through a week of 3 patch failures so I contacted the manufacturer thinking it may be a batch problem as that was 3 out 5 from the same box that had failed. They were very helpful and replaced the box but said it could be a problem with the base "wearing out" instead so replaced that too.

Now I have a new base, the remainder of the box of "dubious" patches and the new patches.
I hate waste so I am currently trying out the new base with the old patches.

I am not going anywhere for the next 3 days and, if it fails, I can change the patch whilst working from home (I just turn the camera off on a zoom call and keep talking) so I thought it was a good time for the experiment.

If this works, I have saved the NHS money (the patches are not cheap).
If it fails, I have wasted the insulin in the patch because, unlike other pumps, I cannot get it out with a syringe.

Anyone want to take bets on whether this patch will fail and, if so, when?
Glad it is not just me I carry loads of the patches with me in case it fails

Glad it is not just me I carry loads of the patches with me in case it fails
I only carry one patch with me when I am out for a day.
I carry extra if I am away overnight.
If I am out for a few hours, I just carry a syringe.

I have now got the Omnipod DASH at the weekend I was in a lovely Chinese Restaurant and it came up patch error shortly after the bolus I had a few carb bits to eat not alot so then stuck to veg which I like anyway went to Macdonalds for a coffee and changed patch on the cruise I changed it three days running hopefully DASH will be better had Omnipod before chose Medtrum to save NHS money but I think it has worked out dearer for them due to the constant replacement of the pump and an excessive amount of patches

I have now got the Omnipod DASH at the weekend I was in a lovely Chinese Restaurant and it came up patch error shortly after the bolus I had a few carb bits to eat not alot so then stuck to veg which I like anyway went to Macdonalds for a coffee and changed patch on the cruise I changed it three days running hopefully DASH will be better had Omnipod before chose Medtrum to save NHS money but I think it has worked out dearer for them due to the constant replacement of the pump and an excessive amount of patches
I find Medtrum will replace faulty patches so it is not costing the NHS extra.

Basically pods are near enough same except Dash handset connects via Bluetooth & doesnt have integrated bg meter included unlike old handset..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back