Anyone tried Pomegranates ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubamanandy01

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Very positive study appeared in the news in past couple of weeks for Diabetics. I've been trying 100% Pomegranate in past week and seems initially to be beneficial for me. Tested blood at same time for several mornings then again 2hrs later after eating and drinking exactly the same (same piece of toast & same tea). Did same tests after same food but this time after drinking 8oz of 100% Pomegranate juice straight after my food (toast) and 2hr test generally showing a good drop. Here was 1 day (I'm T2D by the way for about 5yrs - meds taken all at same time each day) 9.15am 8.3 then tea/toast, 2hrs later 11.6. Same test next day 9.15am 9.3 then tea/toast/juice, 2hrs later 9.2. This has happened a few times now, have I got something wildly wrong ?

Seems to be confirmed on the internet. Might try it as it has quite a few benefits it seems

Thaks for the info

Pomegranates are double-plus-yummy but I would be really skeptical about diabetes-busting claims for any individual food.

If it's from one of the clickbait health sites like Healthline or VeryWellHealth or a tabloid, be extra skeptical.

If they cite some study, check it to make sure that it's not eg like a study of 8 people funded by the Pomegranate Growers Association which anyway reported something statistically insignificant.

I couldn't get any pure pomegranate juice so I have bought some fruits and will extract the juice myself. Probably cheaper to do this as juice is so expensive.

I’d be cautious of fruit juice myself - i generally use that for hypo treatment!

But all power to you if you find it helps 🙂

Oh, I am cautious but also curious

I smiled a bit - pomegranate juice after toast. I wonder what a continuous monitoring device would show rather than a single post meal test.

Ok bought some pomegranates. They're quite expensive at 95p each. Even from Aldi.

Just experimented with one having looked up how to extract the juice in a video on utube.

The process took forever. BUT the result (at just 125ml per pomegranate) was excellent. Really very tasty, full and just plain great.

I will test my Blood Glucose in 2 hours time to see if it causes any spike of its own and I will post up the result here.

My conclusion for now is that it IS worth all the bother and mess.

As for helping T2 diabetes I will probably never know, besides no one really knows what I am...

Ok bought some pomegranates. They're quite expensive at 95p each. Even from Aldi.

Just experimented with one having looked up how to extract the juice in a video on utube.

The process took forever. BUT the result (at just 125ml per pomegranate) was excellent. Really very tasty, full and just plain great.

I will test my Blood Glucose in 2 hours time to see if it causes any spike of its own and I will post up the result here.

My conclusion for now is that it IS worth all the bother and mess.

As for helping T2 diabetes I will probably never know, besides no one really knows what I am...
Shame that you wasted half of the fruit by extracting the juice and discarding the fibre which is as likely, if not more so, to reduce your BG levels and improve gut health than just the juice. In this age of not wasting food/the planet's resources, it doesn't make sense. I think the same about these recipes that tell you to peel tomatoes and cucumber etc when the skins are a valuable source of nutrients and fibre. I try to leave skins on whenever possible these days to improve the fibre content of my diet.

Shame that you wasted half of the fruit by extracting the juice and discarding the fibre which is as likely, if not more so, to reduce your BG levels and improve gut health than just the juice.
That's always the case with fruit, I think. Which is why nobody recommends fruit juice over the fruit itself. (In general.) Maybe pomegranates are different somehow but I doubt it.

I often eat half a pomegranate as an afternoon snack. Doesn’t have more than a 1 point increase in BG, I think because of the fibre. Next plan is to extract the juice and make pomegranate ice cream or sorbet. That, I will have to bolus for!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back