Anyone planning any time away?

Flutterby

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I think it’s intended as a jokey reference to the current perils of UK travel - excessive crowds on Bournemouth beach, the possible continuing of restrictions in Leicester because of raised infection rates, and the quarantine requirements for those flying in?
Thank you. I don't think I can face going after fretting all afternoon. It feels too much risk and I probably would live off shop bought sandwiches as I don't fancy eating out.

Bloden

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hubby’s going to Spain, to tackle the jungle that will no doubt have grown around (and in?!) our house. :eek: I really don’t fancy going abroad this summer so I’m staying put.:cool:

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thank you. I don't think I can face going after fretting all afternoon. It feels too much risk and I probably would live off shop bought sandwiches as I don't fancy eating out.
It’s completely understandable. Perhaps you would be a bit
more tempted if it was a cosy cottage or something, and perhaps if it was more self-contained with a garden it might be a nice change of scene? But it doesn’t sound like the right trip for you at the moment.

You have to make the right decision for you.

Flutterby

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It’s completely understandable. Perhaps you would be a bit
more tempted if it was a cosy cottage or something, and perhaps if it was more self-contained with a garden it might be a nice change of scene? But it doesn’t sound like the right trip for you at the moment.

You have to make the right decision for you.
Thank you Mike, yes that would be a better option.

mikeyB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
We had considered a couple of weeks on the Isle of Mull with the family and meeting some old mates, but Scotland is still off limits. I honestly haven’t the strength to get me and my wheelchair on to a flight, and a cruise has become sailing in a Petre dish. If it’s not Norovirus, Rotavirus, or Lostthewilltolive virus, it’s coronavirus and becoming a statistic. Not for me, thanks.

Sally W

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I’m very lucky that I know folk who rent out a cottage in N Yorkshire that has been empty all year. It’s very tired & needs refurb but simply being able to get away in a relatively safe environment after months of being indoors is so welcome. ( Not quite New York to visit my US pal but I do feel extremely lucky to get away)

Stitch147

Relationship to Diabetes
MODY
After the Great Dorset steam fair was postponed we were just gonna spend some time at home. But after my nephew popped by the other Saturday we've decided to go up to Norfolk for a few days. We found a nice looking caravan site in Haddiscoe and will tow the caravan up there. It's right near where my nephew lives and only 30 minutes away from Great Yarmouth. So we're looking forward to a few days away at the end of August.

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
We’re in East Yorkshire at the moment in a cottage in a very remote village. We’ve brought all our own food, breakfasts, lunch and tea. We are planning on getting take away fish and chips one day, we’re not ready for restaurants yet. I do feel bad that we won’t be injecting much into the economy, except car park fees, RSPB reserve entrance, chippy and petrol station. Better than nothing though.

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Might look at pootling around somewhere on a boat in September.
All other plans are off but may have the chance to respond to the fast changing nature of the pandemic and lockdowns and get a few days in Ireland maybe or even further afield. If Israel slacken their quarantine rules it’d be lovely to get over there and see family.

nonethewiser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Off to Herriot country next week then Merseyside come Sept, looking forward to both, possible trip on Seattle line later.

Schrodinger

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Did not have plans to go abroad this year but North Wales and Lake District in September hopefully the pubs and restaurants will be all fully open.

C&E Guy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
We came back on Saturday from 2 weeks in 'Scarbados' self-catering. Didn't know until the last minute whether or not we would be able to go but as restrictions were eased we decided it would be manageable.

We were able to meet with a few friends at the proper distance. We also ate out a few times and that was fine too.

It was great to have a change of scenery after being "a prisoner" at home for so long.

HenryBennett

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
We’re going for a few nights to Co Fermanagh, Lough Erne etc. We’ve a favourite hotel in Fivemiletown, a charming family run business.

If you ask anyone where the town is fives miles from their standard answer is “Five Irish miles”. :D

Co Fermanagh is beautifully green, but that’s because it rains so much!

atoll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A round trip to the Helford river,Mousehole and Sicilly islands are on the horizon once we have given the bottom a lick of antifouling

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Blimey - couple of you splitting your hols between UK and abroad, None the wiser to America and Atoll to islands off the toe of Italy.

@atoll - does that stop the boat getting diarrhoea?

(I do know LOL)

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
We are approaching the date when a final decision is made on our forthcoming trip that is booked to Sweden. Booked in Nov2019 so still insured. It is still on the list for only essential travel, so we are expecting it to be cancelled.

I think I will be quite relieved as I have no great desire to travel at present and would certainly not book a trip now, apart to self catering in UK. No flying and as self contained as we want to be. We will see. Our travel agent is keen for us to move the trip to 2021 but we have no idea what will be happening then with regard Covid or post Brexit.

There is plenty to discover in UK so not worried as we are happy with this climate and there is plenty of the SW coastal path we still have to do, and then there is Yorkshire, the Lakes, Wales, ....

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Im a bit of a spelin pednat sory.