Anyone planning any time away?

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Don’t go into specifics, obviously, but I was just wondering if any forum members were planning to take advantage of the lifting of restrictions and beginning to think about taking a break away, or whether people were still feeling that caution was a better option and were staying at home over the rest of the Summer?

Robin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
We haven’t booked anywhere during July and August, for the same reason we never do in normal years, we avoid school holidays.
I have booked a cottage for a week in September in Suffolk, though, on flexible booking terms. We go there every year, and all we want to do is long walks, away from other people, so no change there! If we can have some meals that I don’t have to cook, that’s a bonus, so if the local pubs are open, good, if they're doing takeaways, which they are at present, that’s fine too.

LucyDUK

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
We had something booked for end of July that we are rescheduling for end of August in the hope of feeling a little less like guinea pigs straight after they re-open. It is all quite outdoorsy and self contained too so easier to distance. Drive-able distance as well, I don't think I would be up for the confines of a plane/train.

Gruers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
We were thinking of the Canaries in January but our annual travel insurance due inJuly has a Covid/SARS exclusion so we are put off going anywhere
I’m not sure we will travel abroad without insurance cover in place although Turkey provides some State promoted cover but a maximum of €7000

HenryBennett

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
We’re itching to get away and hope sometime before the end of the year to go to Madeira.

zuludog

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
We are by no means free from The Pestilence yet

I had planned on going to various museums and events like steam gatherings and air shows, but of course they've all been closed and cancelled
Even if things start to re - open I'll still be very reluctant to go to anything till well towards the end of this year, and probably not till next

The pubs will be open soon, but having seen TV reports on the palaver needed to get a pint, and the subsequent clinical atmosphere to drink it in, I don't think I'll bother

Last edited by a moderator:

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
We are by no means free from The Pestilence yet

I had planned on going to various museums and events like steam gatherings and air shows, but of course they've all been closed and cancelled
Even if things start to re - open I'll still be very reluctant to go to anything till well towards the end of this year, and probably not till next

The pubs will be open soon, but having seen TV reports on the palaver needed to get a pint, and the subsequent clinical atmosphere to drink it in, I don't think I'll bother
I saw on my Facebook feed yesterday discussion between a Pub and customers they are limiting the time to 2 hours per visit.
I also saw this morning again on Facebook a local cafe/restaurant are taking your contact details and keeping for 21 days. They were only requiring 1 person in a group to do this, normally I have meals out with folks I don't have phone numbers or addresses for everyone present.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Daughter is due back to work (chef in a pub!) on Saturday - person booking table's name and contact details. Should Covid appear, the one who books will be contacted to provide everyone in their group's contact details. You will always get a table since unless you've pre-booked it, they won't let you in! There is a limit on no. of people they can reserve a table for. Can't speak for other establishments but theirs will not do a table for 6. Public NOT allowed to go up to the bar.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Looks like we can go (caravan etc, with own sanitary/hygiene facilities only) rallying from 1st Aug s/to whatever occurs during July, so may have a go at that in Aug. Haven't decided yet.

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
We still have a holiday booked for the start of September.
It is already paid for and we are insured for Covid as it was booked in 2019 before all this started. We wait to see what will happen.

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Like @Robin we never go away July or August. I thought about booking the Arran cottage we were supposed to go to in April, for September, but all booked up, earliest we can get is mid October but I’m not sure I want to go as late as that, much shorter days and possibly a rough ferry ride! We definitely won’t be going abroad this year. Going to hang on I think and see how things go. It’s our Ruby Wedding anniversary end of next month and for a micro second we thought of staying in a posh Lake District hotel for the weekend, then we said “ nah!” The Lakes in July isn’t my favourite place even without a pandemic and the thought of mixing with strangers in a closed environment fills me with horror at the moment. We’ll open a bottle of bubbly and have a nice home cooked meal instead. :)

Flutterby

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have the opportunity to go away in July staying at a premier inn. It doesn't really feel safe to me but I am struggling with all sorts of issues and dont know what I will decide.

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Nothing is certain at present. We would not have booked a holiday for September now, but as it is already in place we have decided to wait and see. If we still can’t travel then we will happily move it on to 2021, as we have with our June holiday already.

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I suppose I am lucky enough to have picked out a house where I would be happy enough to stay all the time, and we have done since the early 1980s. Since then it has got rather warmer, so I bought fans.
We can just see the Purbecks and the harbour from the back window upstairs, so we are not affected when people invade the beach but can go down there when we feel like it. There is a fairly main road at the end of our cul de sac, so shopping and busses are easily accessible, there are some small parks not too far away, the surgery and dentist are in walking distance along a level road.
I do go off to folk music related events, but almost all of them are within daily driving distance. The New Forest is in easy reach if I fancy an outing.
I would have liked a bigger garden, but the choice of this house meant we paid off the mortgage about ten years early. With our situation here, and the good weather there is really very little reason to travel anywhere except to see family.

Podgypig

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Vulnerable In-laws intending visiting us in their motor home so they are self contained and have only their own germs to contend with. Husband suggested pub meal but I nixed this so we will have socially distanced takeaway instead.

KARNAK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
We were thinking of the Canaries in January but our annual travel insurance due inJuly has a Covid/SARS exclusion so we are put off going anywhere
I’m not sure we will travel abroad without insurance cover in place although Turkey provides some State promoted cover but a maximum of €7000
I have the opportunity to go away in July staying at a premier inn. It doesn't really feel safe to me but I am struggling with all sorts of issues and dont know what I will decide.

We’re itching to get away and hope sometime before the end of the year to go to Madeira.
Go to Leicester, cheap as chips, mushy peas optional, Bournmouth is up for it, crap happens.
Welcome to England just don`t bring it down here.

Flutterby

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Go to Leicester, cheap as chips, mushy peas optional, Bournmouth is up for it, crap happens.
Welcome to England just don`t bring it down here.
What is your point Karnak? I don't understand what you are saying in response to my post .

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
What is your point Karnak? I don't understand what you are saying in response to my post .
I think it’s intended as a jokey reference to the current perils of UK travel - excessive crowds on Bournemouth beach, the possible continuing of restrictions in Leicester because of raised infection rates, and the quarantine requirements for those flying in?

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
We were not planning to go away (last year‘s summer holiday was quite difficult for us all at times) but having just been through this extended period of restricted movement, I have a slight longing for a beach. Nothing like being told you can’t do something, to make you want it all the more!

My SiL is going away to the coast in August, so we may pop over and join them (at a suitable distance, outside) for a day trip.