Anyone know London?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Morning all,

Does anyone live around the london area or know much about driving through London?
We have to go to Kent at lunchtime for the DUK weekend - we live in Swindon, but from what i cant tell there is a 'choice' of either the m25 north or the m25 south? Anyone know which is the easiest route? Thanks. :D Bev

Haven't a clue bev, as I don't drive, but just wanted to say I hope you all have a wonderful time!🙂

Morning all,

Does anyone live around the london area or know much about driving through London?
We have to go to Kent at lunchtime for the DUK weekend - we live in Swindon, but from what i cant tell there is a 'choice' of either the m25 north or the m25 south? Anyone know which is the easiest route? Thanks. :D Bev

Hi Bev

I'd be tempted to go North if the distance looks roughly the same as I think you would encounter less traffic. M25 south (which I think is the bottom bit) is generally busy at all times of the day.

hi bev,

when i need to go down that way i tend to use the southbound side.

We're in Kent Bev -- from Swindon you really want to go M25 South in my opinion, then use the M23/M20 into Kent, depending on where you're going. (We have relatives in Oxford, and always go south to each other's houses.) What tangles things up is the Dartford Crossing, and you have to take that to get to Kent if you go North on M25. If you are heading Sittingbourne, Maidstone or Chatham/Rochester way, you can swing north quite easily from the M20, then take the M/A2 for a while if needs be. For Folkestone/Dover etc head along M20. It's just Dartford I'd avoid, esp on a Friday, unless you want to stop by Lakeside or Bluewater to shop!

Bev, we live between Swindon and Oxford and if off to Kent we would always head south even off peak

I live in London, but always use public transport. If you are comming through London try to avoid the congestion charge zone in the centre.

Do you have a good road map? Failing that the RAC and AA do a route finder service.

Thanks all - your brilliant!

We are going to Ashford International Hotel - i think the south route sounds better as we are leaving at 12 so hopefully will miss the peak time! The other route looks a bit shorter - but sounds more congested etc.

I hope you all have a lovely weekend and will report back with the events on Monday!:D

p.s. Please keep an eye on Northerner for me - he is under a lot of strain at the moment - still looking for dumbo - and he cant even drive to her when he finds her! If you have any worries tell admin - she normally puts him back in his cage on a friday night. Please keep a list of how often he mentions elephants whilst i am away - it will be good for his mentor to read. Thanks. Bevster:D

pps (Northerner - elephants are not just for christmas) x

The AA has a route planner on www.theaa.com which is fairly good for suggesting routes and gives a total distance and time, which is useful for claiming expenses. But worth checking on traffic conditions on the day before setting out eg http://www.highways.gov.uk/traffic/traffic.aspx (Highways Agency - England only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back