Anyone have side effects on bloop pressure meds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spangle0581

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I think I am doing well with my diet and fitness . Have only been diagnosed with type 2 recently . I am also on ramipril 10mg which don’t make me feel great . Anyone else on these and have side effects . On metformin and statins to

Hi
I think I am doing well with my diet and fitness . Have only been diagnosed with type 2 recently . I am also on ramipril 10mg which don’t make me feel great . Anyone else on these and have side effects . On metformin and statins to
People do seem to react to blood pressure medication in different ways and there are such a variety of types which act on your system in a different way to manage high blood pressure.
I was on amlodipine at 5mg but when the dose was increased I felt dreadful, dizzy and swollen ankles and my OH couldn't tolerate them at all , he had palpitations so was given 2 other ones instead.
It is worth asking for something different if you are getting side effects

Do you check your BP at home? If you have cut your carbs and perhaps lost a bit of weight (often water initially) your BP can drop naturally meaning you need a lower dose or possibly no BP meds, so doing some home testing might be wise. But definitely discuss any problems or suspected side effects from meds with your GP or possibly pharmacist.

What are the symptoms you are experiencing @Spangle0581 ?

get a bit light headed and tingles in my fingers

Might be worth asking your pharmacist about this, or booking an e-consult with your GP to make sure this is nothing to worry about.

Might be your dose needs adjusting? Or there may be an alternative BP med that would suit you better?

What are the symptoms you are experiencing @Spangle0581 ?
get a bit light headed and tingles in my fingers
Might be worth asking your pharmacist about this, or booking an e-consult with your GP to make sure this is nothing to worry about.

Might be your dose needs adjusting? Or there may be an alternative BP med that would suit you better?
Thanks so much for your reply . I have an appointment booked for a weeks time. I suffer from anxiety as well which does not help . Anyway am going to enjoy the blue skies today

Do you check your BP at home? If you have cut your carbs and perhaps lost a bit of weight (often water initially) your BP can drop naturally meaning you need a lower dose or possibly no BP meds, so doing some home testing might be wise. But definitely discuss any problems or suspected side effects from meds with your GP or possibly pharmacist.
i would love not to be on the meds for BP - maybe one day i can come off them. I do check my BP at home - am a bit obsessed with it 🙂 i have an appointment next week so will talk through it then. Thanks for your advice x

I had been on Losartan for a while, but it made me feel like I didn't have any energy and motivation all day. I didn't really like that so I switched to Valsartan.I guess it's better, but the problem is that it makes me feel like I could fall asleep at any given time. If I'm occupied and active, walking, driving, then there's no problem. But if I'm just sitting there doing nothing, I can just sleep so, so easily. Also, I don't know if eye pain could be a side effect, but after taking these I've felt discomfort while moving my eyes. I've been taking marigold extract for eyes to relieve it a bit.

Last edited:
I had been on Losartan for a while, but it made me feel like I didn't have any energy and motivation all day.
I have taken amlodipine for a long time but the doctor added losartan 25mg and I didn't feel well, dizzy, swollen ankles, weird, tickly cough, so I went down to half a tablet which seemed OK but when I told the doctor she said it was not an appropriate dose and changed me onto candesartan 2mg which other than the tickly cough are OK.
People seem to suit different blood pressure meds without side effects so you should ask for something different.

Very unusual to get a tickly cough with an ARB (the ~sartans) - that's usually associated with ACE inhibitors (the ~prils)!

The ACE inhibitors are normally the first choice for anyone with anything else already like us lot with diabetes, or eg COPD, or any other common condition, the blanket reason being they are reckoned to be cardiac and kidney protective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back