Anyone had a carotid artery scan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJLang

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Stroke consultant has said today that I need one because of possible TIA’s

Looking on the net it shows a simple ultra sound ie slap a bit of gel on the area and run the probe over it.

Thank you Sue

In which case, that would be the same type of scan they do for the aorta, to check whether you have an abdominal aortic aneurism or if you already have an AAA, to see if it has grown and if so, by how much.

Stroke consultant has said today that I need one because of possible TIA’s
OH had one after a retinal artery occlusion, which was treated the same as a TIA. He had an ultrasound, and they were able to assess how blocked his carotid arteries were, in terms of percentage. Unless they are very blocked, (80%+, I think) they tend not to advise unblocking them surgically, because of the risk of causing a clot to move, and a resultant stroke.

OH had one after a retinal artery occlusion, which was treated the same as a TIA. He had an ultrasound, and they were able to assess how blocked his carotid arteries were, in terms of percentage. Unless they are very blocked, (80%+, I think) they tend not to advise unblocking them surgically, because of the risk of causing a clot to move, and a resultant stroke.
Thank you Robin that is really helpful and reassuring about at what stage surgery is considered. I had a hemi retinal vein occlusion 12 years ago but tests like this weren’t done. This time because the problems have affected my vision the stroke and eye teams are liaising with each other.

Thank you Robin that is really helpful and reassuring about at what stage surgery is considered. I had a hemi retinal vein occlusion 12 years ago but tests like this weren’t done. This time because the problems have affected my vision the stroke and eye teams are liaising with each other.
One of OH's was 60% blocked, and the TIA clinic spoke to the surgical team, but the answer came back that no way would they consider it at that point. He has taken statins (to protect bits of artery wall plaques breaking off) and a blood thinner ever since.

T
One of OH's was 60% blocked, and the TIA clinic spoke to the surgical team, but the answer came back that no way would they consider it at that point. He has taken statins (to protect bits of artery wall plaques breaking off) and a blood thinner ever since.
Thank you Robin. It’s good to know about someone about the process and the outcome. I’ve been on daily aspirin and statins for many years so hopefully that will work in my favour. They’ve put me on an increased dose of aspirin 300mg - for the next two weeks and then back down to 75mg.

FWIW, I talked my doc into referring me for a carotid ultrasound a while back, when I was trying to track down reasons for brain fog etc. Reasoning: I have a completely blocked femoral artery in my leg, so why not atherosclerosis in the carotids also?

My doc's position was that even if there were some narrowing probably nobody would consider an intervention unless it was absolutely life threatening, like Robin says. But I just wanted to know and he obliged with a referral. A really fast procedure. (They were all clear.)

FWIW, I talked my doc into referring me for a carotid ultrasound a while back, when I was trying to track down reasons for brain fog etc. Reasoning: I have a completely blocked femoral artery in my leg, so why not atherosclerosis in the carotids also?

My doc's position was that even if there were some narrowing probably nobody would consider an intervention unless it was absolutely life threatening, like Robin says. But I just wanted to know and he obliged with a referral. A really fast procedure. (They were all clear.)
Thank you Eddy that’s helpful.
the hospital has just phoned and I’ve got my scan at 8.30 on Tuesday. It would have been sooner if it wasn’t for the Bank Holiday.

Thank you Eddy that’s helpful.
the hospital has just phoned and I’ve got my scan at 8.30 on Tuesday. It would have been sooner if it wasn’t for the Bank Holiday.
Good luck! If it's anything like mine it will be really quick & straightforward.

Hope it goes well @AJLang and that you have found the responses from folks who have been through it reassuring.

Lovely to see you posting again 🙂 Let us know what the results are when you get them 🙂

Thank you @Eddy @grovesy and Mike. I will post the results on Tuesday.
I’m also planning to celebrate my 51st Diaversary on Wednesday and whatever the results of the scan I’ve booked a credit card busting few days away - so credit card busting that it’s a sea view room with a balcony at the Grand Hotel in Brighton. Don’t have a clue how I’m going to pay for it but my focus at the moment is on enjoying life in style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back