Anyone experienced stomach upset with a different brand of metformin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilLady

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in June this year and prescribed 500mg metformin which I currently take twice a day.
So my first couple of prescriptions I was given the brand name 'Crescent' (red box).
I had some gastro side effects to start as to be expected, but adjusted well to the point where I didn't have any side effects other than an occasional rumbly/noisy stomach, without discomfort though.
My last prescription I was given a different brand name of metformin, I don't recall the manufacturer, anyway I felt pretty crap throughout the 4 week course. My stomach was awful, I work from home and it's a good job, I couldn't have gone into work, I was scared to leave the house.
Anyway, I suspected it was down to this different brand, so I told my pharmacist Friday when I went to get my new script. She gave me the Crescent brand again and "dada" my stomach problems are resolved, literally overnight.
So, is this actually thing? Or a coincidence?
I am interested to know if anyone has experienced anything similar?
I understand that the key ingredients must be the same, but is there some variation that could cause these side effects?
Also I don't know how to go about ensuring I am given this brand in future. My pharmacist says it's a case of they order metformin and are sent what they have, so I am a bit anxious about prescriptions to come. Thanks

This is actually a thing and I’ve often seen it reported. As to how you get a specific brand, I’m not sure if there is a way to specify the crescent brand, i just get a different brand each month too. If you often get brands you don’t get on with then you may be able to switch to slow release, but it seems a shame when you get on fine with the first brand you tried!

I have also read quite a few reports here on the forum of similar issues, where people have found a brand that really suited them and then haven't been able to get it and other brands caused problems. It is thought to be something to do with the binding agents or tablet coating which causes problems for some people.

I think your best bet would be to get an actual prescription each time you need a repeat rather than it being sent to a particular pharmacy and then ring round your local pharmacies to see which have the "Crescent" brand in stock and take the prescription to them for dispensing. You might need to organize a paper prescription through your GP or Diabetes trained nurse at the practice to achieve this.

So not just me then, I've had 3 different brands so far and 2 I get along fine with bur one in a blue box causes some gut ache and upsets.

I had a problem with a particular brand of Metformin which have me a horrible taste in my mouth .My local pharmacist put a note on my records not to give me these particular tablets and I have been fine
Carol

Hi. If some brands cause stomach upset then my advice would be to ask the GP to change the script to Metformin SR (Slow Release) and then virtually any brand will be OK.

I have the slow release and don’t really have stomach problems anymore. But yes it is a thing. I am having some issues with the slow release at the moment as my blood sugar levels are high and the metformin does not seem to be bringing them down at all, if I’d had a splurge before they would work but at the minute I’m not even splurging and yet the levels are still up there.

I have the slow release and don’t really have stomach problems anymore. But yes it is a thing. I am having some issues with the slow release at the moment as my blood sugar levels are high and the metformin does not seem to be bringing them down at all, if I’d had a splurge before they would work but at the minute I’m not even splurging and yet the levels are still up there.
Metformin of any kind never has that much effect on BS but it can help a bit. If you are still having BS control problems there are other tablets that can be prescribed to help. If you have any excess weight then controlling the carbs in the diet will help.

So not just me then, I've had 3 different brands so far and 2 I get along fine with bur one in a blue box causes some gut ache and upsets.
Yes!! It was the blue box. My stomach was just awful.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I can confidently say now that, judging from others experience, it was this other brand causing the stomach upsets. Il discuss it with my nurse and may be a case of ringing round pharmacies every new script.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back