anyone else :).(just a light hearted post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray119

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
I get so focused on making sure. I have made sure I have everything diabetes-related on me whenever I go anywhere(blood sugar monitor hypo treatments snacks) that I forget things like my keys and purse. please tell me I'm not alone 🙂

I have a little back pack handbag and everything stays in that bad, diabetes stuff, money, credit cards, phone, face mask for shopping etc. It goes everywhere with me.... by the bed, next to the shower, out running/walking/shopping, feeding and mucking out horses and riding them, socially.... that bag goes with me. When it wears out I always have a replacement on hand. The only time I change things over is if I need a smarter handbag for a more dressy occasion, but otherwise no thought involved. It leaves my hands free to work, exercise etc but my stuff is there when I need it without having to think. It now feels like my seat belt in the car. If for any reason I forget it, I am immediately conscious of something not feeling right or being vulnerable and I realise and go back and get it. Furthest I have gone without it since adopting this approach is about 100yards from the house before realizing. I just feel semi naked without it, but saves me having to think about all the gear I need to carry because it is all just in there and as I leave the house the keys go in there too. Saves a lot of thought and anxiety for me. Just have to remember to top up my hypo treatments when I have hit them (Iusually have enough to treat about 10 hypos but top them up at the end of the day) and replace my pot of test strips when it gets low and change insulin needles.

You’re not alone @rayray119 🙂 Quite simply, there’s too much to remember! I swear I remember one thing and another thing falls out of my memory! Usually it will be something obvious. Same happens when I go shopping too. Mind like a sieve:D

You’re not alone @rayray119 🙂 Quite simply, there’s too much to remember! I swear I remember one thing and another thing falls out of my memory! Usually it will be something obvious. Same happens when I go shopping too. Mind like a sieve:D
the first time I went to a concert after being dingsosnoed I completely forgot that they would want a lft done. This was two weeks after

I never take my purse anywhere really. I can pay with contactless on my phone. My keys are on a hook by the door so I don’t forget them, but if I do forget I have a keysafe. It’s intended to be there in case anything happens diabetes wise but more useful for when i lock myself out!

All I need to remember is my phone. (Now I use the Dexcom). That needs to be around my person for my watch to show my BG. I can pay contactless with the phone if I’m out of the flat on my mobility scooter. Don’t need keys, I can use the door security code to get into the flats. Of course I need the starter key for the scooter, but I couldn’t get out if I didn’t have that.

All I need to remember is my phone. (Now I use the Dexcom). That needs to be around my person for my watch to show my BG. I can pay contactless with the phone if I’m out of the flat on my mobility scooter. Don’t need keys, I can use the door security code to get into the flats. Of course I need the starter key for the scooter, but I couldn’t get out if I didn’t have that.
What about those times Dexcom might fail though. do you not carry strips and monitor as a backup?

I`m with @rebrascora cross shoulder bag with all medication in it.

@mikeyB is someone to learn from take note of what he says.

Agreed, you are not alone @rayray119 .

Last week I drove all day, without my finger pricker or meter, and so in breach of the DVLA rules. This morning I took the spare meter and pricker (feeling slightly smug that my process of having them in the same drawer as my car keys worked) but had no test strips! Too much to remember. I do have a "man bag", akin to @rebrascora , but I just don't seem to get that right, in terms of what it contains and where it is at any moment in the day. Carrying a bag around is somehow alien to me , must be getting old and less adaptable!

Last week I drove all day, without my finger pricker or meter, and so in breach of the DVLA rules. This morning I took the spare meter and pricker (feeling slightly smug that my process of having them in the same drawer as my car keys worked) but had no test strips! Too much to remember. I do have a "man bag", akin to @rebrascora , but I just don't seem to get that right, in terms of what it contains and where it is at any moment in the day. Carrying a bag around is somehow alien to me , must be getting old and less adaptable!
yes they been situtuons where i forgot test strips or a metter but relised close to home si was able to go back a get them

On travels most goes in wifes handbag, keep phone on me for obvious reasons & to scan libre,, glucotabs just stick in pocket.

Dont mind this time of year as walking jacket has enough pockets for everything, even for snack if go low on long walks.

The only way I can remember things now days is to talk to my smartwatch and google puts it in my calendar so I get a reminder, that is if I remember to wear my watch 🙂

That’s scary (not to mention illegal!) that there are people driving all day without testing! I’d have stopped at the nearest pharmacy and bought a meter if I was out all day and not able to get mine from home. You really need a system that works for making sure your meter is with you so that you can drive legally and safely. Do you not test immediately before driving and so know then whether you have your meter and strips? I think you use libre, but you still have to have the meter with you at all times when driving.

That’s scary (not to mention illegal!) that there are people driving all day without testing! I’d have stopped at the nearest pharmacy and bought a meter if I was out all day and not able to get mine from home. You really need a system that works for making sure your meter is with you so that you can drive legally and safely. Do you not test immediately before driving and so know then whether you have your meter and strips? I think you use libre, but you still have to have the meter with you at all times when driving.
It's not quite as bad as it sounds, @Lucyr, but thanks for your concern.
While I was driving all day I was never far from home. Also, as well as having Libre 2, I have the Diabox app providing me with CGM which is an added bonus to Libre. Because my DM is so very brittle I am quite a slave to Diabox and watch it like a hawk as well as having alarms on the phone and my watch. On more than one occasion Diabox has told me I've gone hypo while driving from a journey start in the 8s; and I've pulled over accordingly. But that is truly scary, when on a very busy M42 which no longer has hard shoulders.
Yes, it was illegal, but not intentionally; just a human error! And I'm still refining my "man-bag" strategy, in fact I bought a new and different bag today.
And no I don't finger prick before driving, I rely on Libre and Diabox to keep me informed before I set out, in full accord with the rules. Because of my brittleness I never start a journey below 7; I need the buffer to reassure myself.
I'll stop, I'm starting to regret joining in the light-hearted post.

And no I don't finger prick before driving, I rely on Libre and Diabox to keep me informed before I set out, in full accord with the rules.
Are you sure it’s in accordance with the rules if using Diabox? Do the DVLA rules not just cover using the official app? I think if you place the libre anywhere other than the back of your arm then you aren’t covered to use it for driving, so guessing it’s the same with 3rd party apps potentially? If you were never far from home it’s best to just stop by home and pick up your meter really.

Again, thank you @Lucyr . I have a daughter older than you and I'm content to let her lecture me, albeit to humour her - but not you.

I’m not sure how your daughters age is relevant to whether you’re driving illegally, I was only asking questions. I’m sure if anything happened you’d regret not prioritising carrying your meter.

Since a problem with 3 Libres while on holiday(1 didn’t stick,1didnt work,1hit a doorway) I keep a complete set of everything in the car - a Libre, finger prick set, Dextrose, spare Nova Rapid and Lantus pens plus repeat
I’m not sure how your daughters age is relevant to whether you’re driving illegally, I was only asking questions. I’m sure if anything happened you’d regret not prioritising carrying your meter.
prescription

I think they already said it wasn't intentional not to have it on them 🙂 I don't agree with breaking the law either but it sounds like it was a mistake. And this was meant to be a light hearted Post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back