Anyone else experienced this after Covid...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peely66

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Two weeks ago I had my first dose of covid. I was ill for about a week or so and recovered and went back to work on the 20th. I work in Adult Social Care in the community and so we still test twice a week. Also some of the individuals we support have tested positive and are symptomatic so I've been mixing with them. Yesterday I (very suddenly) experienced most of the symptoms I'd had whilst ill, namely headache, achy joints and nausea and sickness. I had to go home early and spent most of the next 24 hours in bed with a temperature of 38.4 (well it was at one point). I've tested twice now and both times negative.

I have a theory that, since I've had covid, my immune system mounted a very aggressive response to the virus and that is what I was experiencing. Or maybe I caught it again but why the negative LFTs? (unless they are false negatives but 2 in a row?)

I know there are a lot of people on here with far more medical and scientific knowledge than me and wondered if this is a phenomenon that has been reported.

Starting to feel a bit better thankfully.

Absolutely I’m sure this is a thing, my husband had covid twice, the first time nobody else in the house got it, the second time he gave it to everyone. Then the rest of us caught it again but he didn’t, in total all household have had covid twice. The funny thing was the last time when hubby didn’t catch it he had all the symptoms and was convinced he would test positive but never did…. Unless he was just playing up lol. Also it’s not unusual for the feelings of covid to linger a good while after testing negative

I am sorry you are feeling unwell again.
I am not a doctor but I noticed when I caught covid, I tested negative the day my symptoms started and didn't get a positive result until a few days later. I did not test every day because I have a limited supply of tests and do not want to waste them. Therefore, I just stayed at home and felt sorry for myself until I needed to justify my absence.

Based on my experience (a very small sample of one), I would not be convinced you are negative on the first day or two of symptoms just because the test says so.

Last edited:
I have a theory that, since I've had covid, my immune system mounted a very aggressive response to the virus and that is what I was experiencing.
As I understand it after being infected (or being vaccinated) you can expect antibodies (less so, on average, for mild infections) in your bloodstream (which gradually disappear over a few months), so your theory feels plausible to me.

(Presumably there's also an effect on the immune system in the nose and lungs from infection (but much less from the current vaccines).)

Based on my experience (a very small sample of one), I would not be convinced you are negative on the first day or two of symptoms just because the test says so.
That's true. The first time I had symptoms I tested negative and two days later tested positive so I could still test positive. Thankfully as I work in Social care I can still access free tests although I'm always mindful of using too many. Symptoms have lessened though apart from the headache. We'll see. I'll test again.

Two weeks ago I had my first dose of covid. I was ill for about a week or so and recovered and went back to work on the 20th. I work in Adult Social Care in the community and so we still test twice a week. Also some of the individuals we support have tested positive and are symptomatic so I've been mixing with them. Yesterday I (very suddenly) experienced most of the symptoms I'd had whilst ill, namely headache, achy joints and nausea and sickness. I had to go home early and spent most of the next 24 hours in bed with a temperature of 38.4 (well it was at one point). I've tested twice now and both times negative.

I have a theory that, since I've had covid, my immune system mounted a very aggressive response to the virus and that is what I was experiencing. Or maybe I caught it again but why the negative LFTs? (unless they are false negatives but 2 in a row?)

I know there are a lot of people on here with far more medical and scientific knowledge than me and wondered if this is a phenomenon that has been reported.

Starting to feel a bit better thankfully.
A few of my friends have had Covid twice even after having all the vaccinations and boosters and lots of them took three or four days and multiple negative tests before they eventually tested positive. I think it can take longer for different strains to show up on the tests.

My son recently had Covid he tested 3 days before testing positive.

I also had `3 days of cold-like symptoms before testing positive last month. Seems pretty common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back