• People with diabetes are currently being contacted to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Should you have any questions about how this might affect your blood sugar levels, then call our Helpline for support and information on managing your diabetes at this time.Updates: Coronavirus and diabetes
  • Are you currently doing less than 30 mins physical activity per week and would like support to help you move more? Get in touch with our Physical Activity Helpline here

Anyone else annoyed by BJ's 7pm broadcast? I do not understand why he is going to relax restrictions when us in group 6 have not yet been vaccinated.

Cazzacaz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
And why open up all of society to mingle indoors by May when, all adults have not been vaccinated? Have they forgotton about new variants? It feels like the vulnerable don't matter - they expect people to continue to die - just like the flu apparently!

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I went over to the shop and walked along to my flat to water the plants and lots of people were about and there weren't any masks that I could see. It's all gone very relaxed now and complacent. :rolleyes:

edit/
I had to go out in case anybody is thinking pot/kettle, I found £8 in my PayPal from selling a tree so went to buy victuals. Couldn't face starving to deaths. :D

grainger

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My understanding is all groups 1-9 should be vaccinated by end of may. So in theory group 6 will be done before April.

Cazzacaz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
But if we are not done done how can you send kids back to school as it takes 3 weeks after vaccine to get immunity? The government have not introduced new measures in schools to stop the spread except masks temporarily and inaccurate lateral flow tests. This government is disgusting.

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The relaxation is not just based on how many people have been vaccinated.
There are other factors such as current rates of infection, hospital admissions and the affect on the mental health of children.

Cazzacaz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
That might be true but, if you are vulnerable or more than and, have not yet been vaccinated or acquired immunity then, you are playing Russian roulette with your life. The clinically vulnerable clearly do not matter re school return or, kids who don't yet have the option for a vaccine who are under 16 and have vulnerabilities. Not ok!

Bruce Stephens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
And why open up all of society to mingle indoors by May when, all adults have not been vaccinated?
The idea is that groups 1-9 comprise almost all the deaths so far and they'll all have been vaccinated (or have had at least a single dose, anyway) by mid April.

Cazzacaz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Yes but kids go back on March 8th so 1-9 have not yet been vaccinated have they as it is not mid April by March 8th!

Bruce Stephens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Yes but kids go back on March 8th so 1-9 have not yet been vaccinated have they as it is not mid April by March 8th!
Yes, though groups 1-4 (the most vulnerable) will have had at least one dose. I think the judgement is that getting children back into schools is worth that extra risk to the rest of us. (Presuming that schools going back is a risk. I've seen people argue that both ways, though it seems our experts think it is.)

(I'd be a lot more convinced they cared about education if they'd actually put some serious money into making schools safer. They had all last summer so they could have improved ventilation by installing air filtering systems, etc. Which would also have improved things regardless of the pandemic.)

Or you might just pretend that March 8 is three weeks after mid April,

Cazzacaz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Yes agreed. They need to spend more money on education- spring is nearly here so why not have socially distanced outside undercover desks to educate? Or, vaccinate kids and staff? They will cause a new variant by allowing kids to mix in year group bubbles and will cause many more deaths. It is disgusting.

Sally71

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
@Cazzacaz better make sure you’re shielding then if you’re that upset about it. My daughter is 14 and type 1, don’t know if she’ll actually get a vaccine as they aren’t currently licensed for under 16s (although I believe they might be working on it). She’s also having massive problems with anxiety, tics including verbal/swearing ones which she gets really upset about, OCD (hand washing/germs, her hands look like they belong to someone aged 114 not 14) and undiagnosed autism, all which only blew up after the first lockdown. She NEEDS to be at school, has been attending as a vulnerable child for this term, and would be much better if her friends were there too. She has threatened to end her life a couple of times and we are getting nowhere with childrens mental health services. We can’t keep her stuck at home, she’s doomed if we do and doomed if we don’t. School have been brilliant with bubbles and distancing and masks and ventilation and everything they can possibly do to minimise the covid risk. I think a staggered return to normality is the right thing to do and schools should definitely have priority because young peoples’ lives and futures are being seriously compromised. I hope it isn’t too soon but we can’t stay prisoners in our homes forever either, done carefully maybe it will work!

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
They will cause a new variant by allowing kids to mix in year group bubbles and will cause many more deaths
I haven’t read that allowing children to mix in a bubble causes new variants. That’s interesting. Do you have more information on this?

Cazzacaz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
We currently have 10k plus cases per day in a 2 month plus lockdown and we are about to allow kids to mingle inside This will increase the R rate above 1 which will then increase the likelihood of new variants due to mixing. It could make a new variant that is immune to the current vaccines and allowing schools to go back will kill more people - fact!

Cazzacaz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Cazzacaz better make sure you’re shielding then if you’re that upset about it. My daughter is 14 and type 1, don’t know if she’ll actually get a vaccine as they aren’t currently licensed for under 16s (although I believe they might be working on it). She’s also having massive problems with anxiety, tics including verbal/swearing ones which she gets really upset about, OCD (hand washing/germs, her hands look like they belong to someone aged 114 not 14) and undiagnosed autism, all which only blew up after the first lockdown. She NEEDS to be at school, has been attending as a vulnerable child for this term, and would be much better if her friends were there too. She has threatened to end her life a couple of times and we are getting nowhere with childrens mental health services. We can’t keep her stuck at home, she’s doomed if we do and doomed if we don’t. School have been brilliant with bubbles and distancing and masks and ventilation and everything they can possibly do to minimise the covid risk. I think a staggered return to normality is the right thing to do and schools should definitely have priority because young peoples’ lives and futures are being seriously compromised. I hope it isn’t too soon but we can’t stay prisoners in our homes forever either, done carefully maybe it will work!
I am not upset - I need a vaccine in order to not die of covid. I am sorry to hear about your daughter but, this is common. It is not acceptable however, your daughter should be receiving mental health support from CAHMS. I do appreciate that this support is however like gold dust Try to ensure she regularly moisturisers her hands inbetween the hand washing and, talk to her about bactetia and germs to normalise her emotions on it. Make her feelings feel normal. I hope that helps and that you get the help you need asap.

Pumper_Sue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am not upset - I need a vaccine in order to not die of covid.
Nope, you need to get a grip on life. As long as you look after yourself i.e., keep your blood sugars under the best control you can and keep your weight in a normal range and make sure you follow the rules then there's no need to panic.

In the state you are getting in there's no chance of you getting the virus because you would have died from a heart attack :(

Calm down.

My DSN has type1 diabetes and she has worked all through the pandemic.

The bottom line is no matter what any government does it's going to be wrong in someone's eyes.
Oddly enough they don't actually have any better ideas or solutions to counter their arguments either.

Be thankful you haven't been classed as extremely vulnerable because you would have something to worry about then.
Send your kids straight in for a shower as soon as they get home and wash their clothes if you are so worried about the spread.

Last edited:

Sally71

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Thank you @Pumper_Sue you have said many of the things I wanted to say but couldn’t put into words and didn’t want to argue about. It's all about assessing the risks, if you are frightened of stepping outside your front door until you’ve been vaccinated and are lucky enough not to have to work then of course keep yourself safe. I personally think the risk to my daughter at the moment is far greater if we keep her at home than if we don’t. Hubby and I won’t get a vaccine until right at the end as we are neither over 60 nor classed as vulnerable, but we have been sensible and followed the rules and have managed to avoid it so far (even though I work in a school) so hopefully that will continue. And most people who catch covid don’t die, but you never hear about the ones who get better again. Yes some people have been very unlucky, but that happens with everything in life, you can’t protect yourself from everything. Thousands of people die of flu each year but nobody makes a big fuss about that.

Freddie1966

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I thoroughly agree with you . It’s got to work we can’t carry on like this . I really feel for all the parents trying to home school and hold down a job it must be a nightmare.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Sally71 I have issues with certain creams seemingly not helping but 2 that seem to do good are Lidl's own brand SOS cream and O'Keefe's working hands if you haven't tried them, by no means do my hands look perfect but being in the same situation as your daughter (as you know) these do make them look and feel much better xx