anyone done this

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all,

http://www.bioeden.co.uk/TheProcess.aspx

A mum off the other forum i am on is using this process in order to obtain stem cells for the purpose of potential use in the future. They keep them for as long as you want (at a cost) and hopefully they can be used at some stage in the future.

JDRF are adamant that the future of diabetes lies in stem cells - and they think something will happen soon - or within the next 10 years anyway!

I am seriously thinking about sending A's last few milk teeth off - but just wanted to ask has anyone done this? I know your all adults, but you can use molars aswell.🙂Bev

H Bev

This was something we really looked into and at the time we could afford to do it, think it was about ?1000 to start of and then i think you have annual fees (could be wrong!). However, with one thing and another and thinking it through we decided not to do it. Unfortunately in the time we were making our minds up we were pestered quite frequently from them and offered reductions if we 'bought' into it within a certain time etc. I know it's a business but it really put me off.

Only you can make the decision for your family and there is no right or wrong, it is still the only one in Europe?

Hi Becca!

I honestly dont know an awful lot about it - its just that someone one the 'list' mentioned it as her sons tooth is about to fall out! I hadnt heard of them before today. I did ring them before and they were really nice - not pushy at all - just told me about the process. I am still 'thinking' about it. Its 900 pounds initially and then 90 pounds a year for storage.🙂Bev

Hi all,

http://www.bioeden.co.uk/TheProcess.aspx

A mum off the other forum i am on is using this process in order to obtain stem cells for the purpose of potential use in the future. They keep them for as long as you want (at a cost) and hopefully they can be used at some stage in the future.

JDRF are adamant that the future of diabetes lies in stem cells - and they think something will happen soon - or within the next 10 years anyway!

I am seriously thinking about sending A's last few milk teeth off - but just wanted to ask has anyone done this? I know your all adults, but you can use molars aswell.🙂Bev

Hi Bev...

I must say I agree with JDRF here..I personally think the future lies with stem cells.
As becca says " There is no right or wrong here"
You must do what you feel right for A..and your family
Unfortunately I am not in a financial position to do this for Nathan....I would personally do it without hesitation though. I still have all Nathan's milk teeth.

Heidi
🙂

Hi Bev 🙂

We got sent the forms and it all looked very impressive and made complete sense to do. I'm still not 100% sure that we have done the right thing by not doing it. It makes so much sense to preserve something that could help our children later in life. Which is completely contradicitng myself lol! Sorry not much help :(

I think we looked at the whole stem cells thing and thought that by the time a cure was found or scientists discovered something they wouldn't be able to use the stem cells from the teeth anyway. (At least that's what i think we thought lol!) my brain is so frazzled tonight - too much party planning; sleepless nights; reduction of insulin and chasing hypos is taking its toll - i know i'm sleep deprived - i tried to iron the kids uniforms with the kettle the other day 🙂

Hi Bev 🙂

We got sent the forms and it all looked very impressive and made complete sense to do. I'm still not 100% sure that we have done the right thing by not doing it. It makes so much sense to preserve something that could help our children later in life. Which is completely contradicitng myself lol! Sorry not much help :(

I think we looked at the whole stem cells thing and thought that by the time a cure was found or scientists discovered something they wouldn't be able to use the stem cells from the teeth anyway. (At least that's what i think we thought lol!) my brain is so frazzled tonight - too much party planning; sleepless nights; reduction of insulin and chasing hypos is taking its toll - i know i'm sleep deprived - i tried to iron the kids uniforms with the kettle the other day 🙂

Whats wrong with using a kettle?:DBev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back