Any tips on reminding yourself that youve already injected before a meal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sololite

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
If I'm busy in the kitchen preparing a meal or get distracted I sometimes find it hard to remember if I've already injected ahead of my meal and then worry if I am doubling up.

It's only happened a few times but as I get older and more forgetful, wondered if anyone has any tips that work for them that I could try please.

Thanks for any advice

Get a memory pen and just check it if you’re not sure? If you take novorapid then you can get a memory pen.

Just shout out every time IM TAKING MY INSULIN !!! As long as you don’t live alone, then someone can confirm

Get a memory pen and just check it if you’re not sure? If you take novorapid then you can get a memory pen.
Thank you I do use novorapid pens. I've never heard of a memory pen. Do you have a link please or tell me what to Google.

Thank you I do use novorapid pens. I've never heard of a memory pen. Do you have a link please or tell me what to Google.
Google novorapid memory pen

I only put four needles with my insulin pens, one for each bolus and one for my basal which gives me an easy visual way of checking.

I only put four needles with my insulin pens, one for each bolus and one for my basal which gives me an easy visual way of checking.
Do you never do any corrections between meals? Never have a snack and bolus for it?

Just shout out every time IM TAKING MY INSULIN !!! As long as you don’t live alone, then someone can confirm
I like this low tech approach but don't think it fits my lifestyle. Thanks for the tip though

Do you never do any corrections between meals? Never have a snack and bolus for it?
Not really, if I have a snack it is usually low carb so no bolus needed if I did need to do a correction I would just get an additional needle from the box. I was just highlighting a cheaper way than having the extra expense of buying a memory pen. It works for me, but may not be for everyone.

I’ve taken to setting a timer on my phone when I take a bolus so it goes off when I can have my meal. Just getting into the habit of setting the timer means I don’t forget a bolus.

Reusable pens are environmentally friendly and cost effective. If it is for NovoRapid then you are looking at the Novopen 6 or the NovoPen Echo. Your GP can prescribe it and you would also need yopur insulin prescription changing from Flex pens to Penfil cartridges. They take up much less space in the fridge too. The Echo also has half unit option so if you are on low ish doses you can fine tune things a little better. The pen cap tells you how many units you injected and how long ago in hours. It is really helpful for those "Did I?" or Didn't I?" moments.

You can also get them for basal insulin. I have a blue Novopen Echo for my Levemir (basal) and a red one for my Fiasp (bolus).

Novopen 6 and Novopen Echo Plus. (The previous versions also give the basic info, but the latest ones can be scanned with a suitable phone app. Reading the info on the tiny screen on the end of the pen isn't always easy.) Both come in two different colours so you can have different colours for bolus and basal insulins (presuming you use Novo Nordisk insulins for both).

I've love my Novo echo pens for this reason. I've had many moments where I been half though my meal thinking dud I injecct my insulin(I've always had it just becomes so second necture you forget doing it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back