Any thoughts about this ferritin test result please

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJLang

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I had this test five weeks ago but unfortunately the rheumatology consultant I saw - who was very thorough - for some reason hasn’t written a follow up letter or report from the appointment. I have no follow up appointments and the consultant is currently on holiday. My GP has said that the as the rheumatologist ordered the test it must be her who discusses it with me so I’m currently in limbo until the rheumatologist respnonds. The info below, including the questions, is directly copied from the lab report on my GP online record.

Blood haematinic levels
Serum vitamin B12 level 550 ng/L [197.0 - 771.0]
Serum folate level > 20.0 ug/L [3.0 - 20.0]
Above high reference limit
Serum ferritin level 173 ug/L [13.0 - 150.0]
Raised Ferritin - ? liver problem ? reactive.
If no known cause, repeat and if persists request
fasting TIBC/serum Fe if not previously done.

Blood haematinic levels
Serum vitamin B12 level 550 ng/L [197.0 - 771.0]
Serum folate level > 20.0 ug/L [3.0 - 20.0]
Serum ferritin level 173 ug/L [13.0 - 150.0]
Raised Ferritin - ? liver problem ? reactive.
If no known cause, repeat and if persists request
fasting TIBC/serum Fe if not previously done.

Your folate is also at the top end, suggests to me this is a dietary thing. Are you eating a lot of leafy greens?

Your folate is also at the top end, suggests to me this is a dietary thing. Are you eating a lot of leafy greens?
Thanks Emma, no very rarely eat leafy vegetables. My diet has to be focused on low fibre because of the gastroparesis.

I've just remembered that I had the same tests in January 2019 and just checked the results. They were all very comfortably in the normal range and nothing that I eat or drink has changed much at all in that time. So the change has happened within the last three years.

Do you use a vitamin supplement? Changes can happen at any time 1 month ago my folate levels were high now back to normal.

Do you use a vitamin supplement? Changes can happen at any time 1 month ago my folate levels were high now back to normal.
Thanks Sue. I sometimes have a B12 supplement but not very often due to problems with digesting tablets. I agree that the B12 could affect the folate level - not too worried about that it's the ferritin level that has me more concerned. I guess I just want them to repeat the test with the hope that the ferritin level has gone back down but GP won't do anything without rheumatologist advice.

Thanks Sue. I sometimes have a B12 supplement but not very often due to problems with digesting tablets. I agree that the B12 could affect the folate level - not too worried about that it's the ferritin level that has me more concerned. I guess I just want them to repeat the test with the hope that the ferritin level has gone back down but GP won't do anything without rheumatologist advice.
I would ask you not to stress about these things.

Your metabolic situation is very complex, so we might as well have a lottery on causes or reasons for concern at this point (not that any of us can make a diagnosis or give meaningful guidance). As I understand it, concerns started to be raised into the 200s and certainly if heading for 300.

I would ask you not to stress about these things.

Your metabolic situation is very complex, so we might as well have a lottery on causes or reasons for concern at this point (not that any of us can make a diagnosis or give meaningful guidance). As I understand it, concerns started to be raised into the 200s and certainly if heading for 300.
Thank you and that's helpful about the 200s figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back