• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.

Any new Drugs out for Type 2

Sandra Harris

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hello all

please can anyone tell me if their is any new drugs for type2, I dont like needles and at the moment are taking drugs that is having an adverse effect on me:(

sandra maybe you could help us out by saying what you are on at the moment and if you've tried anything previously.

Hi sofa ,

I am on Medformin- but stop due to the fact that it was having an adverse effect , whereby it was effecting my blood cells made me weak and frail.
Ever since i stopped i feel stronger ,my appetite is much better and i dont have the tendency to feel tired and lathigic

I am now on Glatize at the moment

I have a very horrible doctor who has been no support at all.. Infact i find a lot of doctors that i have come across to be very unhelpful , they are so quick to get me onto the inhaler or the injection without knowing what the true side effects are,

I use to work in the nursing profession and so have some experience and a lot of doctors finds this to be a threat

couldn't find glatize from a google search, is it maybe gliclazide?

How are your blood sugars on no medication? have you tried to adjust your diet and cut down on carbohydrates?

What is your reluctance about insulin? Is it just the dislike of needles? I think you will find that most of us weren't too fond until we found we didn't have a chpice. A few days and it becomes very easya nd not much of an issue at all. The needles generally don't hurt at all.

have you tried seeing a different GP? Doesn't sound like yours is that great

Metformin is known for causing stomach upsets, althought this usually only last for the first few weeks of taking it. There is another longer acting form that is better tolerated. (Can't remember it's name at the moment)

There are also two other drugs used to help control diabetes. These are sulfonylurea and Rosiglitazone. Take a look on Goole to find out a bit more about these.

I know that sulfonylureas (such as Gliclazide) are more prone to causing hypos, but can give good control. I don't know much about Rosiglitazone myself but have heard some people get on well with it.

As to your doctors, I find that if you do a little reasearch and know what you are talking about they tend to be a bit more open and prepared to discuss things with you. I think a lot of doctors tend to avoid giving too much information as they don't want to scare their patients.

At the end of the day, it is you who has the responsibility and knowledge of your own condition. The doctors are there to help, and should listen to what you say and want.

Back