Any LADA diabetics experienced weight loss some years after their initial diagnosis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sololite

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
I was diagnosed LADA diabetic 5 years ago and am treated as insulin dependent Type 1. I am 62.

Prior to diagnosis my weight dropped by nearly 1 stone to just over 12 stone and that's pretty much what I've mainained since then.

Since Christmas I've noticed my weight slowly dropping and am now about half a stone lighter.

My GP has booked me in for blood tests and a scan but I was wondering if any other LADA people had experienced this and could shed any light on what's going on?

Unless your blood sugar has been running high or you’ve radically reduced your calories, it doesn’t sound like it’s related to the diabetes to me. Have you had a recent coeliac screen and thyroid check?

Unless your blood sugar has been running high or you’ve radically reduced your calories, it doesn’t sound like it’s related to the diabetes to me. Have you had a recent coeliac screen and thyroid check?
Thanks Inka. No screening. No thyroid check unless part of wider set of blood tests. Three months ago a new diabetes nurse recommended I increase my basal insulin by about 20% to combat a small rise in hb1ac and which seems to have improved my control but I haven't found anything on the Internet to say basal insulin can cause weight loss

Basal insulin wouldn’t cause weight loss, no. Weight does go up and down a little, but it’s sensible to have some basic tests to rule out any underlying cause. It might be worth keeping a food diary for a week too or using MyFitnessPal just to check you’re not inadvertently under-eating or eating less because of a change to your routine, etc, etc. I’m slim and sometimes my weight will drop. When I think about it, it’s usually because I’ve been busy and haven’t been having my usual meals and snacks.

Thanks Inka. They took my precious blood today and I will hear in a few days. I think it could be lifestyle changes related. We have been hosting a Ukranian family for the past month and the build up and subsequent activities have meant I don't get a chance to focus on my favourite subject FOOD!

The story continues. I continue to lose weight. My bloods and bowel cancer tests are normal apart from low calcium. I am having a CT scan next week. My diabetes dietician says it could be a food absorption problem caused by pancreas not producing necessary enzymes. Does anyone have any experience and advice in this area please as its a little perturbing to say the least.

Thanks everyone

It’s good those tests were normal @sololite I hope you’re reassured. There is something called PEI - pancreatic insufficiency. It’s more common in Type 1/LADA and means you need to take enzymes to help your digestion. I don’t have it myself but a few people here do, including @nonethewiser

You could well be joining the Creonistas if that's the case.

I was diagnosed LADA diabetic 5 years ago and am treated as insulin dependent Type 1. I am 62.

Prior to diagnosis my weight dropped by nearly 1 stone to just over 12 stone and that's pretty much what I've mainained since then.

Since Christmas I've noticed my weight slowly dropping and am now about half a stone lighter.

My GP has booked me in for blood tests and a scan but I was wondering if any other LADA people had experienced this and could shed any light on what's going on?
I was diagnosed in January this happened to me . Doctor said as my sugars were to high I had to take this other tablet so my sugar would come out in my wee . I lost a stone in weight

It’s good those tests were normal @sololite I hope you’re reassured. There is something called PEI - pancreatic insufficiency. It’s more common in Type 1/LADA and means you need to take enzymes to help your digestion. I don’t have it myself but a few people here do, including @nonethewiser

Do have EPI, diagnosed around 4 years ago & take Creon with meals.

Thanks. I have the Faecal Elastase test on Monday and a CT scan on Thursday so hopefully will find out soon. How lucky are we to live in a country with the NHS.

Very lucky, so much to be grateful for mate.

FE test confirmed own EPI diagnosis, it was relief tbh so could start on treatment.

Very lucky, so much to be grateful for mate.

FE test confirmed own EPI diagnosis, it was relief tbh so could start on treatment.
I agree and this forum is an excellent place to get support and information. Can I ask if you tried any natural alternatives or did you go straight onto Creon?

The internet is the wild west of medical and Dietary information but was interested to read that

Pineapple, Mango, Avo, bananna, Sauerkraut, Kefir amongst others were proposed.

Thanks for taking an interest.

Chris

I agree and this forum is an excellent place to get support and information. Can I ask if you tried any natural alternatives or did you go straight onto Creon?

The internet is the wild west of medical and Dietary information but was interested to read that

Pineapple, Mango, Avo, bananna, Sauerkraut, Kefir amongst others were proposed.

Thanks for taking an interest.

Chris

There's no alternative just Creon, it replaces digestive enzymes that are lost or lacking in own pancreas.

Wow I've been on a bit of a journey since I last posted on this subject. Blood tests, CT scans, MRI scan, Fecal Elastase and Sigmoidoscopy. They have found a collection of Cysts in pancreas that are restricting flow through the duct. They have put me on Creon and will do an Endoscopy to get closer and take a sample. The NHS leapt into action and I have nothing but praise. Naturally I am a little scared, as are my kids and family but thankful I reacted once I started to lose weight and guts became a little explosive. I post this in the hope that others will not let things rumble on before going to your GP. Thank you for all your support. Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back