Any Humalin I users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirsc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Do we have any Humalin I users here?

I’m just wondering if anyone can advise how long it is until they feel that it is starting to be out of your system?

used to be able to go from my morning dose until 9.30pm, but I’m now battling high levels earlier than this. Bolus insulin doesn’t seem to be able to bring them down either. I can’t increase the amount of insulin given for my basal dose as I end up hypo. I’ve always had this problem in the morning, but not in the evening.

Do we have any Humalin I users here?

I’m just wondering if anyone can advise how long it is until they feel that it is starting to be out of your system?

used to be able to go from my morning dose until 9.30pm, but I’m now battling high levels earlier than this. Bolus insulin doesn’t seem to be able to bring them down either. I can’t increase the amount of insulin given for my basal dose as I end up hypo. I’ve always had this problem in the morning, but not in the evening.
The profile of Humalin 1 is it starts to work after 1-2 hours and lasts 16-24 hours but likely it will vary in different people.

There are a number of people here who use Humulin i @kirsc I use a similar isophane when I have a pump break. I find mine lasts between 9 and 11 hours. What bolus insulin do you use?

The profile of Humalin 1 is it starts to work after 1-2 hours and lasts 16-24 hours but likely it will vary in different people.

Humulin i is usually given twice daily because it isn’t a long-acting basal. And it’s Humulin i not Humulin 1.

Last edited:
Thank you. I would have said that 15-16 was accurate until now. I would say at around 13-14hrs now I’m now starting to fight highs. Think I’m going to arrange an appointment with Consultant at the hospital to discuss a change of basal insulin.

Thank you. I would have said that 15-16 was accurate until now. I would say at around 13-14hrs now I’m now starting to fight highs. Think I’m going to arrange an appointment with Consultant at the hospital to discuss a change of basal insulin.

The advice is usually to have the two doses roughly 12hrs apart. Sometimes I’d delay my morning dose slightly and cover that time with half a unit or so of bolus. I’ve also experimented with 3 doses of isophane (the middle dose being tiny just to tide me over). That meant I could take my evening dose later.

There are a number of people here who use Humulin i @kirsc I use a similar isophane when I have a pump break. I find mine lasts between 9 and 11 hours. What bolus insulin do you use?
Thank you. I use Fiasp -which is why I’m really noticing the lack of change to the levels. I used to be able to get to 9.30pm, but I really feel that I’m going to need to make it much earlier. But then that causes issues in the morning, as I’m already fighting a losing battle in the morning.

The Libre 2 shows me that my levels start to rise every morning at around 3am - so by the time I’m waking at 6am they are already doing their own thing!

The advice is usually to have the two doses roughly 12hrs apart. Sometimes I’d delay my morning dose slightly and cover that time with half a unit or so of bolus. I’ve also experimented with 3 doses of isophane (the middle dose being tiny just to tide me over). That meant I could take my evening dose later.
My DSN always said that my evening timing was fine as it meant my levels were still manageable in the morning. Now I feel neither are manageable!! I can see why 3 doses might be better!

Could that 3am rise be Dawn Phenomenon @kirsc ? Have you always taken Fiasp? You might find another bolus insulin is better.

My DSN always said that my evening timing was fine as it meant my levels were still manageable in the morning. Now I feel neither are manageable!! I can see why 3 doses might be better!

Yes, I did the extra dose to allow me to take my evening dose later (usually 9.30/10pm) and it worked well. If I didn’t do that middle dose, I’d find I needed to take my evening dose more like 8.30pm. I juggled doses as suited me, depending on whether I was out for the day (I didn’t bother with a middle dose then) or getting up early, etc.

IMO, isophane and other twice daily basals are most flexible. I was/am happy to put up with their shorter action because of the flexibility.

Could that 3am rise be Dawn Phenomenon @kirsc ? Have you always taken Fiasp? You might find another bolus insulin is better.
I think it possibly is Dawn Phenomenon but I can never keep my levels within range in the morning. Some days my toast comes with me in the car until my levels reduce enough to eat.
I used Novorapid before the Fiasp. Fiasp works well at other times.

I think it possibly is Dawn Phenomenon but I can never keep my levels within range in the morning. Some days my toast comes with me in the car until my levels reduce enough to eat.
I used Novorapid before the Fiasp. Fiasp works well at other times.

How’s your control the rest of the time? I resigned myself to waking with a blood sugar of 9 and just did a correction dose as soon as I woke. Despite those daily 9s, my TIR was still excellent, so I decided to put up with them. My pump deals with my Dawn Phenomenon very well but I don’t think any injected basal insulin could do so. Why I liked injecting my isophane later in the evening was that then the peak of action was closer to when my DP started so it controlled it better.

Remember that a pump might be an option for you if you’re interested 🙂

Yes, I did the extra dose to allow me to take my evening dose later (usually 9.30/10pm) and it worked well. If I didn’t do that middle dose, I’d find I needed to take my evening dose more like 8.30pm. I juggled doses as suited me, depending on whether I was out for the day (I didn’t bother with a middle dose then) or getting up early, etc.

IMO, isophane and other twice daily basals are most flexible. I was/am happy to put up with their shorter action because of the flexibility.

How’s your control the rest of the time? I resigned myself to waking with a blood sugar of 9 and just did a correction dose as soon as I woke. Despite those daily 9s, my TIR was still excellent, so I decided to put up with them. My pump deals with my Dawn Phenomenon very well but I don’t think any injected basal insulin could do so. Why I liked injecting my isophane later in the evening was that then the peak of action was closer to when my DP started so it controlled it better.

Remember that a pump might be an option for you if you’re interested 🙂
Control during day is good (and it was in the evening also until recently). The reason why we (team and myself) were giving the basal as late was to try and reduce the morning rise. It just doesn’t seem to be working any more.
On Friday I woke at 3.30 and corrected then, but by the time I got up at 6am I was back up above 9. I took basal, and bolus for my toast (incl correction) but it was after 8.30am before it had dropped to mid 7’s. I’d taken my toast in car so I could eat it en-route but I was actually started work before I dared eat it. If I eat breakfast if I’m above 7 I spike massively!
I definitely think I’m going to phone my hospital to arrange an appointment with consultant again. She’d previously added me to list for pump for other reasons but I think we need to discuss this as a reason too. I’m exhausted with it currently.

I definitely think I’m going to phone my hospital to arrange an appointment with consultant again. She’d previously added me to list for pump for other reasons but I think we need to discuss this as a reason too. I’m exhausted with it currently.

Sorry to hear your diabetes has been messing you about @kirsc :(

Hope you have a fruitful conversation with your consultant, and get some actionable suggestions to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back