Any Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindsey 23

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I’ve recently been diagnosed as type 2.My blood sugar was coming down but on my latest test it’s gone back up!

I’ve only had 1 appointment with a diabetic nurse before Christmas and feel like I’ve just been left to get on with it and I’ve no idea what I’m doing.I had my latest blood test this week but still haven’t seen the nurse again

I’m feeling abit overwhelmed by it all and just looking for some support

Thanks for reading x

Hi
I’ve recently been diagnosed as type 2.My blood sugar was coming down but on my latest test it’s gone back up!

I’ve only had 1 appointment with a diabetic nurse before Christmas and feel like I’ve just been left to get on with it and I’ve no idea what I’m doing.I had my latest blood test this week but still haven’t seen the nurse again

I’m feeling abit overwhelmed by it all and just looking for some support

Thanks for reading x
Welcome to the forum, you will find lots of support here so do ask any questions you have.
Waiting for appointments seems to be more and more typical at the moment as there are many more people being diagnosed as both Type 1 and Type 2 as a result of Covid not that that should be an excuse for such slow response but many surgeries do not have a diabetic nurse but it does mean people have to take a proactive part in managing their condition and educate themselves.
As everybody is different and therefore have to find an approach with they enjoy and is sustainable, some find a kick start with a shakes based dietary approach, some low calorie and some low carbohydrate but as it is carbohydrates that convert to glucose reducing those in your dietary regime is important regardless of whether you are on medication or not.
While waiting until you get your appointment there is still plenty you can be doing to improve your blood glucose.
You may of may not be given a blood glucose monitor, most GPs will not unless you are on medication that could cause low blood glucose so many self fund, inexpensive monitors can be bought on line the GlucoNavii or TEE2 have the cheapest test strips.
But getting a monitor allows you to take control over your diabetes.
I am a fan of a low carb regime and found this link has all the principals which encompass that approach. There are some do's and don'ts and some meal ideas. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
People have the idea they have to cut all carbs but that is NOT the truth but the standard NHS advice suggests rather more carbs than many can tolerate.so it is a losing battle to reduce their blood glucose and more and more meds get prescribed. That is not to say some people will need help from medication.
A maximum of 130g TOTAL carbs per day is a suggested starting point but some people will need to go even lower than that.
Unless people need to have low fat for other medical reasons then normal healthy fats and protein, meat, fish, eggs, should be forming the main part of your meals with vegetables and salads and fruits like berries.
How much work you need to do depends on your HbA1C and if you are on any diabetic medications.
You still need to be proactive and press for your appointments.

A good place to look is the Learning Zone (orange tab at the top) as there are also information and links.

Welcome to the forum, you will find lots of support here so do ask any questions you have.
Waiting for appointments seems to be more and more typical at the moment as there are many more people being diagnosed as both Type 1 and Type 2 as a result of Covid not that that should be an excuse for such slow response but many surgeries do not have a diabetic nurse but it does mean people have to take a proactive part in managing their condition and educate themselves.
As everybody is different and therefore have to find an approach with they enjoy and is sustainable, some find a kick start with a shakes based dietary approach, some low calorie and some low carbohydrate but as it is carbohydrates that convert to glucose reducing those in your dietary regime is important regardless of whether you are on medication or not.
While waiting until you get your appointment there is still plenty you can be doing to improve your blood glucose.
You may of may not be given a blood glucose monitor, most GPs will not unless you are on medication that could cause low blood glucose so many self fund, inexpensive monitors can be bought on line the GlucoNavii or TEE2 have the cheapest test strips.
But getting a monitor allows you to take control over your diabetes.
I am a fan of a low carb regime and found this link has all the principals which encompass that approach. There are some do's and don'ts and some meal ideas. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
People have the idea they have to cut all carbs but that is NOT the truth but the standard NHS advice suggests rather more carbs than many can tolerate.so it is a losing battle to reduce their blood glucose and more and more meds get prescribed. That is not to say some people will need help from medication.
A maximum of 130g TOTAL carbs per day is a suggested starting point but some people will need to go even lower than that.
Unless people need to have low fat for other medical reasons then normal healthy fats and protein, meat, fish, eggs, should be forming the main part of your meals with vegetables and salads and fruits like berries.
How much work you need to do depends on your HbA1C and if you are on any diabetic medications.
You still need to be proactive and press for your appointments.

A good place to look is the Learning Zone (orange tab at the top) as there are also information and links.
Hi
Thank you for the response.I’ve tried to reduce carbs but find it very hard especially eating out but will battle on.

I’ve changed to brown bread rice pasta and started to weigh portions out so it’s a start.I don’t want to lose any weight so not keen to try shakes ect

I’m was under the impression when you first get diagnosed that you get 3 month checks?Mine will be 8month if I get an appointment in August

I really appreciated your reply x

Hi
Thank you for the response.I’ve tried to reduce carbs but find it very hard especially eating out but will battle on.

I’ve changed to brown bread rice pasta and started to weigh portions out so it’s a start.I don’t want to lose any weight so not keen to try shakes ect

I’m was under the impression when you first get diagnosed that you get 3 month checks?Mine will be 8month if I get an appointment in August

I really appreciated your reply x
It is usually a good idea to get a HbA1C check after 3 months then you can see if the dietary changes are being effective and whether you would need to reduce carbs more or even take medication.
Don't forget it is ALL carbohydrates which convert to glucose, there is little difference in the carbs in the brown version of the high carb foods and most people find they need to restrict those and make substitutions for lower carb foods. Bread, rice, pasta, potatoes are the big hitters when it comes to carbs.
Eating out making some good choices, like steak and salad, fish (not battered) and ask for extra veg of coleslaw instead of chips, Caesar salad with chicken are all not too bad, roast meat but going easy on the potatoes and Yorkshire puds and gravy can be very carb heavy. Red or dry wines are lower carb than beer or cider or spirits with diet mixers are OK.
Making sure you have protein and healthy fats will help you maintain weight.

The book or app Carbs and Cals is a good resource for giving the carb values for various portion sizes so may help you make better food choices.

Morning

Thank you for all the info.I’ve downloaded the app it’s very good.

I need to find some alternatives for bread and potatoes as these are a staple food in my house.

I’m sure i’ll get there in time

Thanks x

Morning

Thank you for all the info.I’ve downloaded the app it’s very good.

I need to find some alternatives for bread and potatoes as these are a staple food in my house.

I’m sure i’ll get there in time

Thanks x
There are a few breads around which are lower carb per slice, sometimes that is because the slice is smaller but people find Burgen soy and linseed or Livlife or a Hovis one are OK, but still restrict to 1 slice and not with every meal.
Alternatives for potatoes can be butternut squash, swede, celeriac, or just have extra other veg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back