Anxious Times But Finally Started

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So what was meant to be started on the 22nd October was finally started yesterday, it was a complete nightmare with water going down the stairs etc, hadn't been to the loo from about 7:20am until after 4pm when they left, they are supposed to finish at half 1 on a Friday but had to stay until they could fix the "issues"

Here's how it looks so far
20201127_172634.jpg20201127_172642.jpg20201127_172643.jpg20201127_172650.jpg
Have lost a fair amount of space even more so when the shower screen goes up etc, basin and shower screen are currently in mums room, I'm hoping the basin goes in and is usable come Monday but might be Tuesday and I'm feeling very uncomfortable about washing my hands in the kitchen basin, just hope it's all over with soon!

Will update with more pics as more things are done
xx

Bloden

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Gawd, plumbers ALWAYS cause leaks and mayhem! We’ve never had a plumber in the house without a great big leak happening o_O - coincidence? Hmmm, I think not. Fingers crossed they finish ASAP @Kaylz. And no more leaks!

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Bloden we've had problems in the bathroom for at least 14 years! They kept putting sealant round the bath and saying job done until the next time, guys yesterday now say it was a pipe under the floor all along and with 4/5 of them on it at once it started it big style! :oops: Last time we flooded downstairs badly was when we got our new heating, guy hadn't sealed the old pipe off properly, waterfall out of the cupboard and everything!

Bruce's dad used to do the jobs for the council when I was a kid and there were never issues then, only since they've been using big contractors :rolleyes:

xx

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
@Bloden we've had problems in the bathroom for at least 14 years! They kept putting sealant round the bath and saying job done until the next time, guys yesterday now say it was a pipe under the floor all along and with 4/5 of them on it at once it started it big style! :oops: Last time we flooded downstairs badly was when we got our new heating, guy hadn't sealed the old pipe off properly, waterfall out of the cupboard and everything!

Bruce's dad used to do the jobs for the council when I was a kid and there were never issues then, only since they've been using big contractors :rolleyes:

xx
Where I grew up the council employed their workman, doubt 5hey do these days. I suspect your right about the contractors.

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Kaylz, think about how it will look when its all finished. How is the OCD coping with all the upheaval?x

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Inka it absolutely stinks of new wood and has seeped into my bedroom as its 2 steps (if that) from the bathroom lol, its also still freezing through that side of the flat as window and front door were wide open most of the day and there isn't a radiator on the bathroom wall at the moment but yes a little closer xx

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Having just had ours done I know what it's like but it's worth it when you see it finished.

Martin

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@freesia I'm trying to, it will be a surprise to us as it was over a year ago we picked colours etc so neither of us can remember what was chosen! :oops:

The OCD isn't as bas as I thought it might be, I didn't run round cleaning when they were done, I asked the lad if he'd wiped down which he hadn't but would if I wanted him to so he went out and got the spray that you just leave to sit and i was fine with that, also kind of reassured me when he told me they were all tested every week anyway

I'm really trying with it and think I did quite well yesterday, washed my hands at the back of 7 for the last time until after 4pm, used hand sanitizer gel before I ate then an antiseptic wipe to get the grease from the butter off my hands then gelled again, didn't clean the kitchen as vigorously as I've been doing the bathroom sink when Bruce came in etc so I think I'm doing ok just now, just an inconvenience cause mum is stood hovering over me as I wash my hands after every time I eat and at tea time she's wanting to get on with the dishes so a little more understanding from her would be nice seen as it is the only place to wash my hands, I want a proper wash though (shower) :( xx

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Having just had ours done I know what it's like but it's worth it when you see it finished.

Martin
as I've just said to freesia it will be a complete surprise as can't remember what we chose lol, I envy you though as at least you had access to another loo, we don't have that luxury lol xx

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@freesia I'm trying to, it will be a surprise to us as it was over a year ago we picked colours etc so neither of us can remember what was chosen! :oops:

The OCD isn't as bas as I thought it might be, I didn't run round cleaning when they were done, I asked the lad if he'd wiped down which he hadn't but would if I wanted him to so he went out and got the spray that you just leave to sit and i was fine with that, also kind of reassured me when he told me they were all tested every week anyway

I'm really trying with it and think I did quite well yesterday, washed my hands at the back of 7 for the last time until after 4pm, used hand sanitizer gel before I ate then an antiseptic wipe to get the grease from the butter off my hands then gelled again, didn't clean the kitchen as vigorously as I've been doing the bathroom sink when Bruce came in etc so I think I'm doing ok just now, just an inconvenience cause mum is stood hovering over me as I wash my hands after every time I eat and at tea time she's wanting to get on with the dishes so a little more understanding from her would be nice seen as it is the only place to wash my hands, I want a proper wash though (shower) :( xx
@Kaylz thats good to hear. You're doing well and i'm pleased to hear the workers are having weekly tests, that must be reassuring.
I love the idea of a surprise and hope you still like the colours you chose!! X

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Kaylz thats good to hear. You're doing well and i'm pleased to hear the workers are having weekly tests, that must be reassuring.
I love the idea of a surprise and hope you still like the colours you chose!! X
It is reassuring but still nervy as they are running between 2-3 houses a day, it would be finished so much quicker for folk if they concentrated on one place at a time, I guess I'd feel better if we were in a place with only our front door but with the entry door being touched by loads of others it freaks me out more, I'm going to try and catch them at the end of every day to ask if they have sprayed or wiped down as it would make it easier on me, may sound selfish I know but its a lot for me to deal with but I don't think its much to ask seen as they are invading my home and the letter said they would wipe down, if I'd known about this leave on spray I'd have bought some myself but too late now for delivery etc, I was tempted to ask mum if she'd ask her boss if I could buy a bottle from them but not sure whether to or not xx

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It is reassuring but still nervy as they are running between 2-3 houses a day, it would be finished so much quicker for folk if they concentrated on one place at a time, I guess I'd feel better if we were in a place with only our front door but with the entry door being touched by loads of others it freaks me out more, I'm going to try and catch them at the end of every day to ask if they have sprayed or wiped down as it would make it easier on me, may sound selfish I know but its a lot for me to deal with but I don't think its much to ask seen as they are invading my home and the letter said they would wipe down, if I'd known about this leave on spray I'd have bought some myself but too late now for delivery etc, I was tempted to ask mum if she'd ask her boss if I could buy a bottle from them but not sure whether to or not xx
Might be worth ordering some. Sounds a handy thing to keep in

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Might be worth ordering some. Sounds a handy thing to keep in
It does but sadly I couldn't find much when I tried to google it last night, plus not really affordable at the moment with Christmas coming up, phone and interner bills etc, I have some 75% alcohol surface wipes to do me just now and antibacterial wipes but I'll be trying to ask them everyday if they've wiped or sprayed down as it takes me ages to do myself and time isn't on my side at the moment with having to have dinner prepared for the next day etc, honestly would just feel much better if they installed the bathroom basin tomorrow and I could start using it as using the kitchen is a right faff :rolleyes: , was hoping they would get on faster than expected and finish it before the Friday but can't see it even though our bathroom is tiny and even smaller now, I just want to feel slightly comfortable in my own home again xx

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It does but sadly I couldn't find much when I tried to google it last night, plus not really affordable at the moment with Christmas coming up, phone and interner bills etc, I have some 75% alcohol surface wipes to do me just now and antibacterial wipes but I'll be trying to ask them everyday if they've wiped or sprayed down as it takes me ages to do myself and time isn't on my side at the moment with having to have dinner prepared for the next day etc, honestly would just feel much better if they installed the bathroom basin tomorrow and I could start using it as using the kitchen is a right faff :rolleyes: , was hoping they would get on faster than expected and finish it before the Friday but can't see it even though our bathroom is tiny and even smaller now, I just want to feel slightly comfortable in my own home again xx
You're doing everything you can for now, fingers crossed it won't be for much longerx

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Wet walls done, bath fully installed, windowsill and that in, starting to look quite nice, guy finished at 1:30 saying labourers would be later to clean up etc, must have gotten lost en route as never seen them! :mad: wiped touch points myself which I wasn't wanting the responsibility of doing as I freak out etc and the letter states they will do it!
20201130_162846.jpg20201130_162853.jpg

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Ooohh starting to look good :D x

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Good progress @Kaylz

Big hugs to you during the works. You are coping brilliantly. It’ll be so gorgeous when it’s done!

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Think the basin and shower are in and the flooring is down, bath panel is up against lobby wall and the workmen left an hour ago without saying anything! Goodness knows what's happening then! xx