Anxiety and frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalfpipMarathon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Today my blood glucose levels have been up and down like a roller coaster

I checked a reading with a finger prick this evening and it was 3 mmols lower than the reading on my Dexcom One receiver. I know Dexcom One, Libre 2 etc are not infallible but is it normal for there to be this much difference?

I'm wondering if I have made a mistake. Obviously because I bought a starter pack of a transmitter and sensor plus receiver I will see the sensor to it's expiry. However not sure if I want to purchase another sensor (I have a spare sensor and transmitter which I am waiting to hear from Dexcom what to do with ie pay for them or send them back)

It would be better if the transmitter didn't last that long (90 days) just the duration of the sensor although I can see why it doesn't as one might choose to carry on but what if one felt it wasn't for them it's an expensive mistake.

I'm not sure what to do. Whilst I like the fact that I don't have to scan I am not sure if I feel comfortable anymore with the continuous readings. With Libre 2 unless I scanned I wouldn't know what was happening to my blood glucose in-between.

What worries me is not knowing what and how long my levels should be to need to consult a GP. Is it making me paranoid knowing what my levels are all the time?

Is it normal to feel this way? I'm seriously considering cutting my losses and stopping the sensor a day or two early. If I am able to pay for the extra transmitter and sensor I can keep it with the receiver and maybe try it again another time.

I

The "acceptable" difference is a percentage. Knowing it is 3mmol/l may be important if your levels are in the 5s and 6s but , if they are 15mmol/l , this is less significant.
Furthermore, CGMs tend to be calibrated to be most accurate at "normal" levels. This is why those of us using insulin, are advised to test highs and lows before correcting.
Does the Dexcom ONE allow you to calibrate your sensor?.
I calibrate my CGM every morning to give myself confidence is n it's readings. I chose the morning because, for me, my levels are flat and at "normal" levels.

You can’t calibrate the dexcom one no

The "acceptable" difference is a percentage. Knowing it is 3mmol/l may be important if your levels are in the 5s and 6s but , if they are 15mmol/l , this is less significant.
Furthermore, CGMs tend to be calibrated to be most accurate at "normal" levels. This is why those of us using insulin, are advised to test highs and lows before correcting.
Does the Dexcom ONE allow you to calibrate your sensor?.
I calibrate my CGM every morning to give myself confidence is n it's readings. I chose the morning because, for me, my levels are flat and at "normal" levels.
Don't want to sound dim but people talk about calibrating what exactly does it mean?

Don't want to sound dim but people talk about calibrating what exactly does it mean?
As is often said, we are all different and one way is the way our BG is derived from our interstitial fluid. There is a mathematical algorithm which converts the interstitial fluid reading that the CGM sensor receives into a BG reading. Some CGMs incorporate the difference between a finger prick and the equivalent CGM reading into that algorithm. This allows the reader to take into consideration the differences in the way our bodies react.
So, the act of calibration is as simple as doing a finger prick and entering this value into the CGM reader.
Due to the limitations of CGMs, it is important to calibrate when the impact of these limitations is minimal. This is when levels are "normal" (between about 4 and 9 mmol/l) and reasonable flat.

Unfortunately, as @Lucyr says, it is not possible to calibrate Dexcom ONE and, from my experience, I know it is not possible to calibrate the Libre unless you use unofficial apps.

As is often said, we are all different and one way is the way our BG is derived from our interstitial fluid. There is a mathematical algorithm which converts the interstitial fluid reading that the CGM sensor receives into a BG reading. Some CGMs incorporate the difference between a finger prick and the equivalent CGM reading into that algorithm. This allows the reader to take into consideration the differences in the way our bodies react.
So, the act of calibration is as simple as doing a finger prick and entering this value into the CGM reader.
Due to the limitations of CGMs, it is important to calibrate when the impact of these limitations is minimal. This is when levels are "normal" (between about 4 and 9 mmol/l) and reasonable flat.

Unfortunately, as @Lucyr says, it is not possible to calibrate Dexcom ONE and, from my experience, I know it is not possible to calibrate the Libre unless you use unofficial apps.
Thank you for explaining. I'm aware that blood glucose levels rise and fall even for non diabetics but my levels with Dexcom One have been higher than when I used Libre 2. Not sure if it's where I am wearing the Dexcom One (on abdomen) or whether the Dexcom One is more attuned to my body than the Libre.

I know I need to not let my anxiety get the better of me but I am finding it hard and I am starting to realise why they tell type 2 diabetics not to test!

As I said I am seriously considering removing the sensor early (it ends on Sunday 20/11). What should I do with the sensor as it will have 60 days of use left?
I

Thank you for explaining. I'm aware that blood glucose levels rise and fall even for non diabetics but my levels with Dexcom One have been higher than when I used Libre 2. Not sure if it's where I am wearing the Dexcom One (on abdomen) or whether the Dexcom One is more attuned to my body than the Libre.

I know I need to not let my anxiety get the better of me but I am finding it hard and I am starting to realise why they tell type 2 diabetics not to test!

As I said I am seriously considering removing the sensor early (it ends on Sunday 20/11). What should I do with the sensor as it will have 60 days of use left?
I
How Does Self-Starting a Continuous Glucose Monitor Work?

This has some good tips, so I thought it might be helpful to pass it along. I have learned from experience that there are a myriad of reasons why a finger-prick test will not match exactly to what my CGM (Libre 1 in my case) is telling me. For me, the benefit of the Libre is that I can see daily trends and try to maintain a good 'Time in Range'. Plus, at meal-times it helps me pace how quickly I eat and how far in advance of eating I bolus so as to minimise peaks and avoid troughs.

Best of luck with this and hang in there...

This has some good tips, so I thought it might be helpful to pass it along. I have learned from experience that there are a myriad of reasons why a finger-prick test will not match exactly to what my CGM (Libre 1 in my case) is telling me. For me, the benefit of the Libre is that I can see daily trends and try to maintain a good 'Time in Range'. Plus, at meal-times it helps me pace how quickly I eat and how far in advance of eating I bolus so as to minimise peaks and avoid troughs.

Best of luck with this and hang in there...
Thank you. I like to maintain Time in Range main reason I started using a Libre but I prefer not having to scan but lately according to the 3-day report on my Dexcom receiver there has been a TIR of 65% this is the worse I have ever had. With Libre 2 the lowest was 84%.

I'm concerned that I have been having readings over 10 the highest reading I I've ever had of 16 (only one) These are not lasting long but I am still finding it hard especially when I didn't have readings like this on Libre only occasionally

What should I do with the sensor as it will have 60 days of use left?

Do you mean the transmitter?

Well… you could just draw a line under the experiment, and decide continuous data is not for you?

Or you can wait, and try again in a few weeks.

You seem to be caught in an unfortunate cycle of really wanting to have access to information about your levels, but finding ‘wobbly’ days very difficult to handle.

You aren’t on medication that offers a way to respond to those numbers… but that doesn’t mean you can’t do anything about them. Or that they have no value.

You might consider keeping a food/activity/event diary alongside your sensor readings to try to give you some clues as to why some days are wobblier than others. Did you eat something different? Did you get out less because it was raining? Was something stressful happening that day? Even something seemingly inconsequential like going to the supermarket…

Sometimes there simply are no patterns… But the more information you have, the more likely it is you might be able to spot them? Especially if it’s something that happens the day after something else.

Do you see a reduction in high BGs if you go for a brisk walk?

I'm concerned that I have been having readings over 10 the highest reading I I've ever had of 16 (only one) These are not lasting long but I am still finding it hard especially when I didn't have readings like this on Libre only occasionally

Were you cross-checking either or both sensor systems with fingersticks?

It might be that one or other sensor system suits your body better and offers readings more in line with fingersticks?

Some people find certain sensors generally read a bit ‘out’ for them, but that the trend and ‘direction of travel’ indications are still helpful. If this is the case for you, you may be able to adjust the range used to show ‘time in range’ to compensate?

Do you mean the transmitter?

Well… you could just draw a line under the experiment, and decide continuous data is not for you?

Or you can wait, and try again in a few weeks.

You seem to be caught in an unfortunate cycle of really wanting to have access to information about your levels, but finding ‘wobbly’ days very difficult to handle.

You aren’t on medication that offers a way to respond to those numbers… but that doesn’t mean you can’t do anything about them. Or that they have no value.

You might consider keeping a food/activity/event diary alongside your sensor readings to try to give you some clues as to why some days are wobblier than others. Did you eat something different? Did you get out less because it was raining? Was something stressful happening that day? Even something seemingly inconsequential like going to the supermarket…

Sometimes there simply are no patterns… But the more information you have, the more likely it is you might be able to spot them? Especially if it’s something that happens the day after something else.

Do you see a reduction in high BGs if you go for a brisk walk?
Sorry yes meant the transmitter. I'm expecting a call from Dexcom this morning to update me as to the situation regarding the extra transmitter and sensor sent in error.

If I have had something high in carbs etc I expect to have a high reading but yesterday was good apart from lunch (McDonald's - not an everyday occurrence).

I'm wondering if the stress over wobbly days is counter productive ie making my readings worse. Catch 22.

Today I won't be doing much as it's likely to be raining all day where I am.

Were you cross-checking either or both sensor systems with fingersticks?

It might be that one or other sensor system suits your body better and offers readings more in line with fingersticks?

Some people find certain sensors generally read a bit ‘out’ for them, but that the trend and ‘direction of travel’ indications are still helpful. If this is the case for you, you may be able to adjust the range used to show ‘time in range’ to compensate?
I occasionally did a finger stick with Libre but not often as the point of these sensor systems is that you don't have to finger prick and because I don't take medicine that night cause hypos or am on insulin it's not as important.

I used Libre 2 mainly to keep an eye on my Time in Range and aimed to keep above 70% which I managed with Libre but feel I am failing with Dexcom One although Dexcom One only gives me TIR over 3 days not on a daily basis which is not helpful.

I

Seriously, I’d take the sensor off and forget it. You don’t need it and it seems to be greatly adding to your anxiety. That in itself (anxiety) can mess with your blood sugar as well as affecting your body in other ways.

Seriously, I’d take the sensor off and forget it. You don’t need it and it seems to be greatly adding to your anxiety. That in itself (anxiety) can mess with your blood sugar as well as affecting your body in other ways.
That's what I have been thinking however I have a transmitter that will still have 80+ days left.

Fortunately I bought a special deal of 1 transmitter and 1 sensor but they sent me two sensors and 2 transmitters plus the receiver ( the spare transmitter and sensor I am waiting for Dexcom to say what to do with them).

If I am able to keep the second transmitter and sensor I can perhaps have a break then try again using the first transmitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back