Antidepressants

Status
Not open for further replies.

angeladalton

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I have been type 2 diabetic for 20 years. Recently, under medical supervision I have stopped taking escitalopram, antidepressants. I am now finding it hard to get my BS above 5. Is this normal. I need it above 5 to legally drive. Any advice? Thanks

Are you on any medication for your diabetes @angeladalton ? Sometimes drugs like anti-depressants can cause higher sugars requiring more meds and then when you stop the drugs your blood sugar lowers because your meds are too high now.

Hi, I have been type 2 diabetic for 20 years. Recently, under medical supervision I have stopped taking escitalopram, antidepressants. I am now finding it hard to get my BS above 5. Is this normal. I need it above 5 to legally drive. Any advice? Thanks
I noticed your last post appeared to have been in 2010 so I wondered if you were on the same diabetes medications as you were then. If so that mat be something that need adjusting.
Ideas have changed in that time about managing blood glucose levels where diet can play a bigger part for some people so it may be that some adjustments could be made to better balance meds and diet.

I noticed your last post appeared to have been in 2010 so I wondered if you were on the same diabetes medications as you were then. If so that mat be something that need adjusting.
Ideas have changed in that time about managing blood glucose levels where diet can play a bigger part for some people so it may be that some adjustments could be made to better balance meds and diet.
My medication for diabetes and antidepressants has been altered over the years as needed. Up u til discontinuing the antidepressants my sugar levels have been stable. Now there in in the 3's and I am finding itso difficult to raise them.

Are you on any medication for your diabetes @angeladalton ? Sometimes drugs like anti-depressants can cause higher sugars requiring more meds and then when you stop the drugs your blood sugar lowers because your meds are too high now.
This is exactly what has happened. I am on novomix 30, metformin and dabigliflozin.

So you probably now need to reduce your Novomix - presumably the antidepressants were increasing your BG levels. Get in touch with your nurse/GP asap to discuss this!

This is exactly what has happened. I am on novomix 30, metformin and dabigliflozin.

@angeladalton Ok, so your Novomix needs reducing pretty urgently. If you’re in the 3s and struggling to raise your blood sugar, I would make a reduction yourself. I wouldn’t wait till next week to speak to a nurse. You don’t want a nasty hypo - and they can be very nasty.

@angeladalton Ok, so your Novomix needs reducing pretty urgently. If you’re in the 3s and struggling to raise your blood sugar, I would make a reduction yourself. I wouldn’t wait till next week to speak to a nurse. You don’t want a nasty hypo - and they can be very nasty.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have reduced it today and keeping a close eye on my BS. Highest BS today has been 10.3

Sorry to hear you have been struggling with such low glucose levels @angeladalton

Hope the reduction in your insulin dose has helped. It does sound like your meds need an urgent review, and you may no longer need all of them.

Keep yourself safe in the meantime, and consider making further adjustments if the low BG levels persist.

You may want to call NHS111 or the Diabetes UK Helpline (number at the top of the page) if you can’t get an appointment early next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back