Antibiotics

Status
Not open for further replies.

juneclare

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
My husband is on Antibiotics for Two weeks. He’s just had a minor op on his leg and his readings have spiked, could it be with him on the Antibiotics?

My husband is on Antibiotics for Two weeks. He’s just had a minor op on his leg and his readings have spiked, could it be with him on the Antibiotics?
Some antibiotics are known to raise BG so if he's on one of them, fluoroquinolone for example, it's possible. Have you checked the information leaflet for possible side effects?

It is possible the surgery has raised his BG rather than (or as well as) the antibiotics.
When we have any medical procedure (even have a vaccination or taking blood), our body undergoes a bit of stress which will cause our liver to release glucose to help fight it.
I would expect a rise if I was to have a minor op on my leg regardless of any drugs.

It is possible the surgery has raised his BG rather than (or as well as) the antibiotics.
When we have any medical procedure (even have a vaccination or taking blood), our body undergoes a bit of stress which will cause our liver to release glucose to help fight it.
I would expect a rise if I was to have a minor op on my leg regardless of any drugs.
Thanks for that. His bloods were normal until the day before his op. Today it’s starting to do down again. Due to him losing weight and no Carbs his bloods are below 6 so it was a bit of a shock to see the readings now.

@helli is absolutely right. Whatever the surgery, the body sets about repairing itself, and that takes energy, and that energy is provided by the liver dumping glucose so the cells that do the repairing can do their job.

It's nothing to do with antibiotics, unless a bacterial infection is present, and certainly not to do with specific antibiotics. You can get a spike in BG when antibiotics start killing the bacteria. The dead bacteria release bits of rubdish and some toxins which have to be dealt with by the routine cells that do that job. So the liver dumps glucose for those cells to work. That effect actually has a name - the Herxheimer death reaction.

@helli is absolutely right. Whatever the surgery, the body sets about repairing itself, and that takes energy, and that energy is provided by the liver dumping glucose so the cells that do the repairing can do their job.

It's nothing to do with antibiotics, unless a bacterial infection is present, and certainly not to do with specific antibiotics. You can get a spike in BG when antibiotics start killing the bacteria. The dead bacteria release bits of rubdish and some toxins which have to be dealt with by the routine cells that do that job. So the liver dumps glucose for those cells to work. That effect actually has a name - the Herxheimer death reaction.
Thank you so much for your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back