Antibiotics Type 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimmoUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Has anybody got some advice have been prescribed 2 weeks doxycycline, have never used antibiotics since being Type 1 bit worried about side effects.

Has anybody got some advice have been prescribed 2 weeks doxycycline, have never used antibiotics since being Type 1 bit worried about side effects.
Looking at the potential side effects it would be wise to keep a good eye on your blood glucose levels, more testing as one of the side effects mentioned is low blood glucose.
If you are concerned have a talk with the pharmacist. I assume they were the most appropriate for the condition you have and whoever prescribed them knew you are Type 1

Looking at the potential side effects it would be wise to keep a good eye on your blood glucose levels, more testing as one of the side effects mentioned is low blood glucose.
If you are concerned have a talk with the pharmacist. I assume they were the most appropriate for the condition you have and whoever prescribed them knew you are Type 1
Thanks, Will test more doctors said if any nausea/vomiting to stop taking them.

My experience with antibiotics (although I couldn't tell you which ones) is not distinguishable from the reason I was taking them.
Whenever I am unwell, I keep a closer eye on my BG which is usual advice.
We are all different, have different lifestyles, different illnesses and different bodies so the effect of certain drugs and illnesses can be different on each of us.

As others have said @SimmoUK just keep a watch on your levels.

I know any infection raises my BG and once the antibiotics kick in things levels start to come down. There is no obvious pattern and it is just checking, correcting as necessary. One thing to think about is that I find both my basal and bolus insulin needs adjusting when I am ill. i often forget to adjust the bolus doses. My understanding is that the illness causes insulin resistance due to cortisol released (but happy to be corrected by more knowledgeable members)

As others have said @SimmoUK just keep a watch on your levels.

I know any infection raises my BG and once the antibiotics kick in things levels start to come down. There is no obvious pattern and it is just checking, correcting as necessary. One thing to think about is that I find both my basal and bolus insulin needs adjusting when I am ill. i often forget to adjust the bolus doses. My understanding is that the illness causes insulin resistance due to cortisol released (but happy to be corrected by more knowledgeable members)
Will keep checking and adjusting as needed it's the possibility of vomiting i'am not too keen on.🙄

The important thing to remember with vomiting is that glucose can absorb through the cells inside the mouth more quickly than by swallowing it, so if you are going hypo, perhaps because you injected for a meal and then vomited, swilling something high sugar around in your mouth should help if you don't feel like you can manage to keep anything down. Honey or golden syrup or maple syrup etc can work well or chew Glucose tablets like Lift. You want it to be as concentrated as possible in that situation to get maximum impact, so you don't need a lot for it to work.... or Glucogel if you have it, although I have heard that it tastes vile which is not great if you are already nauseous!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back