antibiotics and levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all,
Has anyone found that taking antibiotics raises levels? Alex has an infection from the sensors on his bottom and started antibiotics last night and he woke on 14!!!!!!!!!!😱🙂Bev

Infections raise blood glucose levels. Antibiotics treat infections, so should, in time, help his levels to return to normal.

Unless the antibiotics have anything sugary or syruppy in them, they should not affect the levels. I always find it helps to read the list of ingredients. and if necessary see doctor again.

I hope Alex is feeling better and the levels come down soon. Infections of any kind at the best of times are not brilliant!

Antibiotics do tend to be sugary/syrups, this is because they taste vile.Not sure if it helps, they still smell pretty vile. Anyway, If you want to see, look at the Patient Information Leaflet. There's a trend to cut out sugar in most liquid medication, to save kid's teeth as much as anything, but i'm guessing that antibiotics are pretty low priority since few people are on them for a long length of time (some people are, if Alex is ask your pharmacist to check it out). Copepod's right (as usual 🙂) it might be the infection that's causing the high and if so, that should improve.

Rachel

I agree, it's most likely the infection causing the high sugar level. Doctors rarely prescribe medicines to diabetics that are high in sugar. The chemist should be able to advise about this but i think it's unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back