Another step forward....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy HB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well, I've just had my review and the numbers look quite good! 🙂

New HbA1c = 6.2
Total Cholesterol = 4.7 (down from 6.23 - I forgot to ask about HDL and LDL values, but HDL should be up from the last reading of 0.71 given that I'm eating more oily fish each week and LDL should be down given that I've heavily reduced my red meat consumption etc).
Triglycerides = 0.92 (down from 2.65 and then 1.37)

The only downer is that I'll be up for some more tests on my fatty liver (at least they'll be non-invasive to start with).

Also, they were very keen to get me on to the statins and back on to the metformin to offset my risk of heart attack in the future. I can understand the logic for doing so, but I dislike the idea of taking pills for their additional benefits rather than their 'primary' function!

Ho hum! I'm going to talk it through with my GP when I next see him.

Andy

Well done great numbers Andy thats good going so keep up the good work.

There is a fatty liver diet. I don't know what is involved but I have it on good authority that some liver surgeons recommend it before surgery as it can really shrink the size of the liver. Have a word with your Dr and see if they know anything ?

Great numbers, you've worked hard to achieve them. I hope everything else works out for you too.

Great numbers Andy - well done! You seem to be bringing down your cholesterol very well without statins. I was on statins but stopped taking them when my total chol fell to 2.4 - how low do they want it to go? At those sorts of levels there is a very small statistical improvement in my chances of avoiding heart attacks, but potentially an increased chance of strokes and side-effects. I decided they wern't worth it, but will see what my levels are at my next test.

Great numbers Andy - well done! You seem to be bringing down your cholesterol very well without statins. I was on statins but stopped taking them when my total chol fell to 2.4 - how low do they want it to go? At those sorts of levels there is a very small statistical improvement in my chances of avoiding heart attacks, but potentially an increased chance of strokes and side-effects. I decided they wern't worth it, but will see what my levels are at my next test.

I think that's the rub with me. If I take a pill, I want to see an immediate measurable benefit. This other stuff is just a statistical benefit! I won't ever know whether it was worth taking or not! Well, I suppose if I don't take it and then have a heart attack, I might get a doctor tut-tutting over me!! 🙄

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their comments.

Andy

I think that's the rub with me. If I take a pill, I want to see an immediate measurable benefit. This other stuff is just a statistical benefit! I won't ever know whether it was worth taking or not! Well, I suppose if I don't take it and then have a heart attack, I might get a doctor tut-tutting over me!! 🙄

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their comments.

Andy

We had a big debate about statins a while back. It's a controversial topic!

http://www.diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=4115

You might also like to read this about the statistical improvements conveyed by statins:

http://www.nntonline.net/ebm/newsletter/2003/06/diabetes_and_statins.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back