Another question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proudspirit

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Guys,
I asked a question about ketones which was kindly answered but some said that i should ask my support team..

Question is.. what is a support team? I see my GP, at the moment once a month, will be every 3 months but he is a bit useless anyway!, although he is the diabetic dr at the surgery. I went over the first gp's head and saw a nurse who told me that i would be called in to see them and they would check my weight and have a chat once a year. I have seen optician and have been refered for diet and feet but haven't heard anything yet.

I have no support apart from you guys, have lost all interest at the moment, only test if i feel strange or doing/eating something that i don't normally do/eat.

Feeling quite well physically at the moment but maybe a bit down.

Who is in a support team?

Julie x

PS sorry the question turned into a moan!

For most people there is a Dr, either a GP or a consultant, a nurse which would either be a DSN or a practice nurse. Possibly a podiatrist, it depends on your area, everyone might be seen or you might only be seen by them if you have foot problems or are high risk. A dietician, everyone should get to see one. And the eye screening service- however that works on your area. There should be access to some form of psychological support, either a psychologist or a counsellor that can be arranged by your GP.

Seems like you have got everyone needed or have been refered and awaiting an appointment. If you need to ask things of professionals then it would be your GP or nurse. Maybe you could ask to be referred to counselling if you are feeling a bit down.

Although all these people make up your team, you have to be about 90% of that team.

For most people there is a Dr, either a GP or a consultant, a nurse which would either be a DSN or a practice nurse. Possibly a podiatrist, it depends on your area, everyone might be seen or you might only be seen by them if you have foot problems or are high risk. A dietician, everyone should get to see one. And the eye screening service- however that works on your area. There should be access to some form of psychological support, either a psychologist or a counsellor that can be arranged by your GP.

Seems like you have got everyone needed or have been refered and awaiting an appointment. If you need to ask things of professionals then it would be your GP or nurse. Maybe you could ask to be referred to counselling if you are feeling a bit down.

Although all these people make up your team, you have to be about 90% of that team.

Sounds a pretty accurate description of the care I get, although I prefer to see the nurse as I get more information and help from her. My GP has me down as one of those capable sorts who knows everything or will find out, which isn't always helpfull!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back