Another one of those...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well, currently hypoing happily away at 3.2 (stuffing down jelly babies, don't worry!) Today I have been battling the lows. Woke to 4.5, then 4.4 pre-lunch, 2.7 pre-tea, 4.6 pre-bed, and now 3.2 as I'm sat at the computer.

The 2.7 was the worst, as I had no notion whatsoever that I was low! I'm feeling this 3.2 though, so not lost awareness. The thing is though, that I shouldn't be having this 3.2 - when I saw te 4.6 pre-bed level I had a slice of bread and peanut butter. That was about an hour ago, so it should be hitting my system with some glucose, my novorapid should be exhausted and my lantus isn't supposed to send me hypo within an hour of injecting it!

Grrrr!!!

Well, currently hypoing happily away at 3.2 (stuffing down jelly babies, don't worry!) Today I have been battling the lows. Woke to 4.5, then 4.4 pre-lunch, 2.7 pre-tea, 4.6 pre-bed, and now 3.2 as I'm sat at the computer.

The 2.7 was the worst, as I had no notion whatsoever that I was low! I'm feeling this 3.2 though, so not lost awareness. The thing is though, that I shouldn't be having this 3.2 - when I saw te 4.6 pre-bed level I had a slice of bread and peanut butter. That was about an hour ago, so it should be hitting my system with some glucose, my novorapid should be exhausted and my lantus isn't supposed to send me hypo within an hour of injecting it!

Grrrr!!!

Uh oh. Poor you.

I had a similar thing, had a 2.4 which i had no idea about and was convinced id lost my hypo awareness. Few days later had a 3.9 and felt horrendous but id also felt it dropping about an hour before at about 4.3.

Hypos are annoying little buggers!!!

Hope you feel back to normal soon 🙂

diabetes is so random, you probably just needed less insulin yesterday than you did today. hope you feel better x

hi northener sorry to hear of your hypo, how are you feeling this morning ? xx

Hope you are feeling better. I wish there was a level platau the way there is with dieting when no more weight will come off, get to 4.5 for example and it can't go any lower...

Grrrr!!!

Northie, as you may remember I was scared stiff of going onto insulin and have so far staved it off but realise it's not for long. Where I was frightened of the injections (OK - don't go on at me that they are not THAT bad, in my head they still are !) but reading the posts of others on the Forum I now know that getting the levels OK and under control with insulin is tricky (to say the least) and you seem to be forever correcting. How much guidance do you get with these corrections from your team or is it something you get to adjust yourself ? How soon do you get to be good at it ?

re loosing hypo awareness - I'm currently at 2.7...fo feeling whatsoever other than a bit of a numb face. I get that most times when i'm low especially in the mornings. Very rarely do I notice anymore, but then that one at work the other day i noticed horrifically, and sometimes the 3.x ones are the worst. I'm very worried i'm loosing any form of hypo awareness and want to get some back. It probably comes from all those waking up lows thanks to my stupid lantus (which btw is happening again grrrrrrrr)

hope you're feeling better northe

Northie, as you may remember I was scared stiff of going onto insulin and have so far staved it off but realise it's not for long. Where I was frightened of the injections (OK - don't go on at me that they are not THAT bad, in my head they still are !) but reading the posts of others on the Forum I now know that getting the levels OK and under control with insulin is tricky (to say the least) and you seem to be forever correcting. How much guidance do you get with these corrections from your team or is it something you get to adjust yourself ? How soon do you get to be good at it ?

Hi Faith, as you have probably gathered the 'penalty' for getting good, tight control is that it may result in more hypos. I do think though, that those who have not experienced them have a fear of them that is largely unfounded, as with needles and injections. Technically, 3.9 is a hypo, but wouldn't be considered so in a non-diabetic, who could function quite happlily at this level - even down to 3.3 which is supposed to be the lower limit for non-D's. The danger with us, of course, is that it can go lower, so we have a lower limit of 4.0 below which we have to act. I have had about 5 hypos that rally disturbed me, which is a tiny fraction of the total number of hypos I've had over the past year.

As you may also have realised, hypos are a disparate breed and you can have all sorts of reactions (or non-reactions) to them. A slow-falling hypo will only register with you slowly - which is probably why I didn't really notice the 2.7. The 3.2 I had, however, was falling faster and generated the responses to make me feel it more keenly. For a parent or a partner seeing those levels can be frightening, because you can't know what 'type' the hypo is. Some people, it seems, experience the fast-dropping ones much more than me.

I probably give the wrong impression, because I tend to post only when there is something unusual about my levels - how my insulin requirements have taken a dip, for example. Most of the time I get it about right and my levels are between about 4.5 and 6.5. I hade some rudimentary advice when first diagnosed, but mostly it has been trial and error. I think the fact that I have been a distance runner for ovr 25 years also helps me to 'know' my body and this helps in some undefinable way when it comes to estimating increased or decreased insulin doses.

I realise that my situation is very different from many others, and that I am more than likely benefitting from some residual beta cell function which helps keep the upper limits in check. We are, indeed, all different!😱🙂

p.s. feeling fine this morning - woke to 4.1. I tested again before bd and had gone up to 7.5, so was happy enough to slep on that.

Glad you are feeling better this morning, northener, 🙂

So the cure is still on the Northener! If it becomes a pattern that you are getting what appears to be these lows soon after your lantus then you might want to consider again switching it to the morning, as you've said you need more insulin then. But will be interesting to see if it really is a pattern or not.

To answer faith's question. When I started on insulin I spoke to my DSN at least every other day for the first couple of weeks and she advised me on adjusting my doses based on my blood sugar readings. I was taking set doses at that point. Then after maybe 3-4 weeks I spoke much less frequently and started adjusting my doses myself, by a unit or two either way. So for example at lunch my dose might have been 4 units, and I would adjust around that based on what I was eating.

I had a meeting with my dietician and DSN and they could see that I was 'getting it' and doing well with my doses and was left to get on with it. If I had needed more support then they would have been happy to give it.

Within 6 months I had taught myself how to carb count, by using the internet and reading books.

What you need to remember faith is that when you start on insulin you will have a great deal of knowledge already, having diabetes for a while before starting on insulin is different from being a newly diagnosed type 1 straight on insulin. You will already have good ideas about carbs, portion sizes, which things spike you.

On dafne they told us that Levemir is generally much more suitable for people who excercise a lot/athletic types than lantus.

Lantus generrally can take up to 3 days to have an effect if you make changes and the levemir can effect almost immediately,

For example we had a young football player on our course, trained many hours most days. He was told to drop levemir dose if he knew he would be training excessively the following day, and increase if he knew he would have a rest day the following day. Just a thought Northener, wondered if you have considered Levemir? The lantus seems to increasingly be giving you problems.

Last edited:
or Humalin I

I'd not heard that comparison of Lantus and Levemir (both clear analogue long acting insulins) before, so thanks Tracey.
There's at least one other option - Humalin I, which I've been using for over 14 years, since starting on a basal bolus regime. It has one advantage of being opaque, so it looks different to my Humalog (short acting), and I find it very responsive (particularly as I take 2 doses each 24 hours) to my varying activity levels, ranging from moderately to very active, generally for long periods of time, rather than short sharp bursts.

I'd not heard that comparison of Lantus and Levemir (both clear analogue long acting insulins) before, so thanks Tracey.
There's at least one other option - Humalin I, which I've been using for over 14 years, since starting on a basal bolus regime. It has one advantage of being opaque, so it looks different to my Humalog (short acting), and I find it very responsive (particularly as I take 2 doses each 24 hours) to my varying activity levels, ranging from moderately to very active, generally for long periods of time, rather than short sharp bursts.

And do you change the doses according to your activity then Copepod? If so I think this could be a good alternative for Northener,

Yes, definitely I adjust my Humalin I doses (as well as Humalog) - before activity if I know it's going to happen, but certainly afterwards whether it's been expected or unexpected.

Hi Faith, as you have probably gathered the 'penalty' for getting good, tight control is that it may result in more hypos. I do think though, that those who have not experienced them have a fear of them that is largely unfounded, as with needles and injections........

Glad to hear you were feeling better today - hope it continued during the day.
I do experience hypos, largely if I haven't eaten for some time or now that i've been exercising more vigorously than I have in the past. I hit a 2.7 after gym the other day and munched jelly babies quickly and today I came down to a 3 after gym so got into the jbs again. Mostly I don't let myself go too low as I feel it coming on and can counter it quickly but I'm still learning. Do you get really hungry after exercise too - I seem to get ravenous ?

I only asked my original question about insulin control as I was given to understand (not by anyone on here I add quickly) that once I was put onto insulin (when/if I am) all would be under control and it seems that this is not the case. Oh well, I guess I'll learn with experience as and when I have to and I'll ask the relevant questions then (& not try to cross bridges before I need to eh ?).

All the best (By the way - happy birthday for Sunday !)

That's interesting to hear about the Levemir/Lantus comparison, I'd never heard of that before.

Northerner, I imagine you're doing lots of training for your run now? I found in the month before the GNR, I was training about 3 times a week, and it seemed like my insulin requirements really went down. I suppose it takes up to a day after a run for your muscles to stop gobbling up glucose, and by then you're gearing up for your next training session, so it starts all over again. On the advice of my consultant, I ended up reducing my lantus from 9 to 6 in this period, a 33% decrease! But it worked, and it was great to have a few weeks without daily hypos! Now I'm having a couch potato month after the run I'm back up to 8 or 9 units (I haven't quite decided which is best yet!)

That's interesting to hear about the Levemir/Lantus comparison, I'd never heard of that before.

In the dafne handbook it states, that when taken once a day (Lantus), it can reduce flexibility around insulin adjustment for excercise, therefore alternative background insulins may be recommended for people who excercise.

Then we got into the discussion re levemir being more flexible due the nature that it was taken twice daily and the adjustments were quicker acting than lantus which may (not necessarily), take up to 3 days for the effect to show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back