Another nitemare with boots and sugery

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Went to collect my monthly script, on monday, which i order on the first of every month, they said it wont be ready to today,

So go in today to collect they said it not ready blaiming the sugery saying that they have sent them 3 faxes (whatever happend to phones) i thought to myself, and they havent replyed, they said i will have to go the sugery, went the surgery, and they then said the chemist has got it? so getting annoyed now had to go back to chemist, they still didint have it? went back sugery realley annoyed this time, were is my script i need this stuff to live they then found it but said they havent recieved any fax,? so they blaming each other, then waited 25 mins for only half of my script .GRRRR!

Why does it take them 30 days to get my script together, how do i change my chemist and how do i complain please people? 😡

How would ederley people cope with this nitemare

Last edited:
The favourite subject in this forum ...it does seem totally crazy especially as you do this every month forunately for me scotty I have an excellent pharmacy and GP so i can't really give you any advice, but Northerner and salmonpuff have the same problems and im sure they'll come on and advise you !

Sorry to hear this has happened AGAIN scotty it is not on this is basic stuff and it aint like your'e script hardly changes , i aint a member of facebook but i reckon a group should be set up to raise awareness of boots .At the end of the day we put our trust in these places they provide us with stuff that sometimes is keeping us alive fgs! someone should try and collate all the threads on here where they has been grievences with the place and add them into a letter to boots .id like to see them answer every one one by one.

Last edited:
Is the chemist part of a chain? Write to the branch manager AND head office. Also write to the practice manager at the doctors surgery and see what they have to say. One place keeps blaming the other and it has to be someones fault

boots are awful, I'm strill trying to get a hold of my lost prescription. They never have what I need either. As for complaining, mention it to the pharmacist next time you're there, see if that gives him a kick up the backside

I think there are a couple of problems. Its hard to complain if its unclear where the problem is.

Your Drs surgery should have a complaints procedure that the practice manager should be able to let you see - if they have a web-site it might be on there.

The following is a link that explains how you go about complaining about a particular pharmacy

http://www.rpsgb.org.uk/protectingthepublic/complaints/

Reading between the lines it looks like the chemist requests the prescription by Fax - which would imply the Drs had received a Fax as the Drs did have a prescription for you. If you could ask the chemist how they request the prescription from the Dr that would at least pin that down.

The waiting time in some chemists is ridiculous I was told 1 1/2 hours the other day.

Hope you get the rest of the items soon

What I do is always put the repeat in to my Dr's surgery myself and then go collect it 2-3 days later. I can then check it before leaving to make sure all I asked for is there and correct. If it isn't then they can sort it out (usually a case of receptionist printing it out and grabbing a GP to sign it). Then i can take it to the chemist of my choice, and go back then next day to collect my items as they often don't have all of it in stock. I know it's me going between them and takes 3 trips to get each prescription but I know it's all going to be right.

I put my repeat script into my surgery, then Lloyds come and pick it up and I pick it up 2 - 3 days after at the chemist.. had problems with Boots, so just went into lloyds and joined their script pick up service.. I like Lloyds and have never had a problem with them.

Boots are rubbish....

Here we go again

Not much i do to help except justify a couple of points (not losing your prescription, that's inexcusable. Happens sometimes, but really shouldn't.)

1) Faxing: Sorry, it's that or send somebody to run round to your surgery and get it. You can't give a signature over the phone and that's what makes the prescription legal. Every prescription has to have a signature from a real doctor, nurse prescriber, dentist, physio. chiropodist etc etc. That's the law.

2) Complaining: Boots are rubbish, it's a fact. presumably they have a complaints proceedure. Go ahead and use it. Alternatively go over thier head like Margie says and complain to the Royal Pharmaceutical Society. They're the governing body of all Pharmacists, Pharmacies and soon Pharmacy Technicians, they are God. That should get you noticed. Do try and get the name of the "Responsible Pharmacist", that will add more weight. He or she is the Pharmacist who is legally in charge of the pharmacy at that time. There has to be one, it's another law.

3) Changing Pharmacies: Do it. Walk out the door and pick another, you can be registered for repeat prescriptions in as many as you like. You might struggle if you pick a hospital though, most won't dispense prescriptions written by GPs. This isn't them being awkward, it's just that the workload would get too big for them to cope.

4) Waiting times: Sorry, i may get a little ranty on this one....I'm a hospital pharmacy technician, and if i had a quid for every time somebody said "What! 45minutes to put some pills in a box! Why does it take so long!!!???" i wouldn't have to work at all. Your prescription has to go thorugh quite a complicated process.... i think i'll start another post for that....see you in a mo.

Rachel

Part 2...

ok, the dispensing process
1) You hand your prescription to the person behind the counter. This could be anybody from the receptionist/saturday staff to the chief pharmacist. They'll look it over to make sure it's signed, dated and doesn't look forged. They may show it to another person who will know if it's a medication that is kept in stock and weather they have enough. You will probably have signed it, unless it was a repeat and payed or ticked the appropriate exemption box on the back. You're usually given an approximate time for completion. In our hospital, that's usually 45 minutes, but we tend to handle bigger, more complicated prescriptions than community pharmacies do, and have to deal with requests coming in from wards and things like that.
2)Your prescription is given to a pharmacist, he or she is probably the one in charge. He or she has a 4 year degree and a year's pre-registration training behind them, at least. They check to make sure that you've been precribed the right medication, at the right dose, for the right duration and that it won't clash with anything else you might be taking. This has to be cleared up before the medication is dispensed. It gets signed, when the pharmacist takes legal responsibilty for it.
3) It gets handed over to another person, either a pharmacist, a technician or a dispenser. A technician will have done a BTEC in pharmacy services (or equivalent) and may also hold an NVQ level 3 or 4. A dispenser will hold, or be working towards an NVQ lvl 2 (or equivalent in house training). This person will then interpret what the doctor and the pharmacist have written (and sometimes this is easier than others) and will dispense the prescription. This usually involves booking out the appropriate ammount of drugs on a computer system and printing out a label with instructions on, and your name. Then they assemble the medication.
4)The medication and the prescription are handed over to another person, either a)the orginal pharmacist or b) a third party checker, this will be another pharmacist or a suitably qualified technician. They will check that what's been dispensed agrees with the prescription, and is suitable for use (ie in date, stored correctly, packaged to the patient can take it etc etc).
5)Then somebody(pharmacist or technician probably) will give the medication back to you, hopefully checking who you are before they do so...They really also aught to check that you know what you're doing with the drugs, but my local superdrugs doesn't. And not all patients want you explain for the fiftiest time how to take paracetamol. But that's what your BTEC/NVQ is for.
That's if it all goes smoothly, not allowing for massive presciptions, contacting prescribers, stock discrepancies, stuff actually being in stock, computer problems and the like. It takes us about 45 minutes, and we could have two pharmacists, five or more dispensers and three or four checkers on the team. I've never seen more than three people in the pharmacy i use at Superdrugs (annoyingly i can't dispense or check my own medication....or order cost price test strips...). I've never worked in community but from experience, i don't think Superdrugs have ever managed the 10 minute turn around they boast in the window. If anybody here has worked in community pharmacy, feel free to correct me.

Hope that helps, it's not supposed to excuse shoddy service though, least of all losing prescriptions, it has happened where i've worked in the past, but in the last two and a half years, it's yet to happen in my current job...fingers crossed it won't.

Rachel

What I do is always put the repeat in to my Dr's surgery myself and then go collect it 2-3 days later. I can then check it before leaving to make sure all I asked for is there and correct. If it isn't then they can sort it out (usually a case of receptionist printing it out and grabbing a GP to sign it). Then i can take it to the chemist of my choice, and go back then next day to collect my items as they often don't have all of it in stock. I know it's me going between them and takes 3 trips to get each prescription but I know it's all going to be right.

I always do the same, put the repeat into tthe docotrs, go collect the prescription in 2 or 3 days, go tot he chemist and most of the time they have all I need.

My advice would be to do what others have said and put in your own prescription request with the surgery and collect it yourself.
I would then find a different pharmacy (possibly smaller independent) and start using them on a regular basis.
My local pharmacy offers a collect and deliver service, so after you have ordered your prescription, they will collect from the surgery, prepare it and deliver it to your home address at no cost.
As I use the same local pharmacy for every presecription, they now know my face and nearly always have in what I need. In some cases they have even heloed me out when i have forgotten to order a prescription by 'loaning' me items in advance of my prescription being ready.

One of the advantages of using a local independent pharmacy is they get to know you. I have one who will let me have enough to last me a weekend and I can then get another prescription on Monday, but he will only do it for his regulars

Thankyou everyone, especially rachael, i have just complained to boots head office, got a complaint ref number, they agreed this is not acceptable, she is going to ring me back, i am going to take the script direct to docs myself and change chemist but which one, i dont no we dont have loyds, maybe tesco or superdrug? defo not boots tho

Last edited:
Thankyou everyone, especially rachael, i have just complained to boots head office, got a complaint ref number, they agreed this is not acceptable, she is going to ring me back, i am going to take the script direct to docs myself and change chemist but which one, i dont no we dont have loyds, maybe tesco or superdrug? defo not boots tho

Good luck with it all Scotty.

Thanks Rachel for your detailed reply. I just want to say that I hope you prioritise those coming from the wards before members of the public. There is one receptionist at work who doesn't and it makes me furious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back