Another Newbie

Nearlyretired

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Pronouns
She/Her
Good morning all, just wanted to say hello. I’ve been told I have pre diabetes following an elevated Hba1c blood test.
It was a real kick up the bum and I am very keen to try and stave off type2 diabetes if possible. I hope this forum might help with advice. Many thanks. Will have a bride of topics. Particularly interested in intermittent fasting and carb restriction in diet.

Hello there @Nearlyretired and welcome to the forum.Sad to read you've been told you are risk of developing diabetes.I have been there too and it's a real shock when you're told this.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum @Nearlyretired

Sorry to hear you’ve been told you are at risk of developing diabetes.

Were you told the result of your HbA1c? For ‘at risk’ it would generally be a number somewhere between 42 and 47mmol/mol.

Knowing where you are within that range can help you understand the extent to which your metabolism has been struggling, and whether some fairly modest tweaks, or a more substantial overhaul might be more appropriate.

We’ve had lots of members over the years who have successfully steered away from a diabetes diagnosis, or been able to put their T2 diabetes into remission by making sustainable changes to their menu and lifestyle.

The two main options seem to be

1. Significant weight loss. Approx 10-15kg. Especially visceral fat around the organs (often suggested by weight carried around the abdomen). Any method can work, but people often try a short, intense intervention like the NHS ‘path to remission’ soup and shake / 800 calorie/ Newcastle diet. then transition to a sustainable weight-maintaining menu afterwards.

2. A lower carb menu. Typically less than 130g a day of total carbohydrates, sometimes a bit lower than that. Not just cutting back on sweet and sugary things, but reducing portion sizes of rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, pastry, grains, cereals and many fruits - or finding lower carb swaps such as celeriac for potatoes, and cauli ‘rice’.

There’s a meal plan and extra info here which might help

Welcome to the forum @Nearlyretired

Sorry to hear you’ve been told you are at risk of developing diabetes.

Were you told the result of your HbA1c? For ‘at risk’ it would generally be a number somewhere between 42 and 47mmol/mol.

Knowing where you are within that range can help you understand the extent to which your metabolism has been struggling, and whether some fairly modest tweaks, or a more substantial overhaul might be more appropriate.

We’ve had lots of members over the years who have successfully steered away from a diabetes diagnosis, or been able to put their T2 diabetes into remission by making sustainable changes to their menu and lifestyle.

The two main options seem to be

1. Significant weight loss. Approx 10-15kg. Especially visceral fat around the organs (often suggested by weight carried around the abdomen). Any method can work, but people often try a short, intense intervention like the NHS ‘path to remission’ soup and shake / 800 calorie/ Newcastle diet. then transition to a sustainable weight-maintaining menu afterwards.

2. A lower carb menu. Typically less than 130g a day of total carbohydrates, sometimes a bit lower than that. Not just cutting back on sweet and sugary things, but reducing portion sizes of rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, pastry, grains, cereals and many fruits - or finding lower carb swaps such as celeriac for potatoes, and cauli ‘rice’.

There’s a meal plan and extra info here which might help
My Hba1c was 43.

I’ve lost nearly 1 stone in 4 weeks since diagnosis.

I do carry excess weight around my tummy.
Also have a younger brother with Tyoe 2, he has been struggling with this for years.

I’ve just started an NHS funded education programme- Living Well, Taking Control. Abit confused by dietary advice in their booklet which seems to show a plate with quite a lot of carbs.

I’ve cut right back on carbs.

My Hba1c was 43.

I’ve lost nearly 1 stone in 4 weeks since diagnosis.

I do carry excess weight around my tummy.
Also have a younger brother with Tyoe 2, he has been struggling with this for years.

I’ve just started an NHS funded education programme- Living Well, Taking Control. Abit confused by dietary advice in their booklet which seems to show a plate with quite a lot of carbs.

I’ve cut right back on carbs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 4
Many who are Type 2 find the NHS advise based on the EatWell Plate is too high in carbs for those trying to reduce HbA1C by diet which is why the GP practice developed the Freshwell Program to support their diabetic patients. They explain their reasoning in the introduction.

Many who are Type 2 find the NHS advise based on the EatWell Plate is too high in carbs for those trying to reduce HbA1C by diet which is why the GP practice developed the Freshwell Program to support their diabetic patients. They explain their reasoning in the introduction.
Thanks, I’ll have a look at that.

Back