Another New Experience.

Chris Hobson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I think it is important to keep trying new things, even at the age of sixty six. This time it's nothing too outrageous or spectacular but, until last weekend, I had never taken a coach trip to London to see a show. I remember school buses that used to bear the legend "Luxury Travel" on the back. As a kid I knew someone who had a Mk10 Jaguar, the opulent interior stuffed with leather, walnut and deep pile carpets was my definition of luxury travel so the school bus had, in my opinion delusions of grandeur. Fast forward to the twenty first century and the coaches are much more impressive, air-con, seat belts, adjustable armrests, picnic trays with cup holders, and a toilet so old gits don't have to suffer the anguish of a full bladder while longing for the next stop. No leather or walnut though. There are several pick up points to get around before the journey to London begins properly, Hull, Hessle, Goole and Ferrybridge. We got on at Hessle. The coach had numbered seats and you book specific seats when you sign up for the trip.

It is such a big plus to have everything organised for you and to have professionals do the driving, I have no idea where the hotel was as I didn't have to worry about it, it overlooked a dock of some kind. We got there early in the afternoon, the show started at six, so we had an few hours to get spruced up before we had to head for the coach again.The hotel was very nice, rather more ornate than the chain hotels that we usually frequent with a bit of an art deco vibe. This kind of trip has a bit more of an itinerary than we would have had if we had been organising it for ourselves. So we go to see our show, a review in a separate post is pending, and then we are shipped off to the O2 Arena, formerly known as the Millennium Dome, as there are numerous food outlets in the perimeter of the dome. This short journey was accompanied by a certain amount of drunk singing so that was nice. The combination of East Yorkshire accents and waitstaff who spoke English as a second language caused one or two communication difficulties so there was a certain amount of pointing at the menu. We had pizza and I also had the most expensive beer ever, nearly a fiver for 330ml. I wouldn't normally have paid such an exorbitant price but all the other drinks were similarly priced too. We had a slight detour on the ride back to the hotel as the Blackwall Tunnel was closed. The singing was a bit more subdued, I think that everyone was a little tired.

After a good night's sleep we got down nice and early for the buffet breakfast. I really love those, I can stuff myself with cereals, toast and a build it yourself English breakfast so I'm a happy man.

Next we are bundled off to Covent Garden and let out for a few hours to please ourselves. We went to the National Portrait Gallery. There I tried to stake my claim to being a polymath by being able to name lots of the people in the paintings no matter what they were famous for. In front of the wall of rock and pop stars, a young woman gave a talk on David Bowie. She had been a lifelong fan and during the covid lockdown, had decided to listen to all of his albums in chronological order. She mentioned a list of other artists that Bowie had collaborated with and asked us to come and chat and the end if we knew any others. She had omitted Lulu and Peter Frampton. I also mentioned that I took a girl to see Tin Machine in 1991, she asked how it went, we've been married just over 30 years I said.

It was nice to see bits of London that I normally only see on the telly or on the monopoly board. The mix of old and new buildings, Nelson's Column, Baker Street, Lords cricket ground to name a few. Finally we have our journey home with stops at Watford Gap and Ferrybridge. Altogether a fun adventure.

Last edited:
Finally we have our journey home with stops at Watford Gap and Ferrybridge. Altogether a fun adventure.
Ferrybridge, now there's exotic! :D :rofl:

I too have never been on a coach trip to see a show, but it sounds like quite good fun! I turn 66 next year...perhaps an item for my bucket list! x

I’ve always thought coach trips were for old folks and avoided them like the plague! But as I am now less than two years from claiming my state pension, I suppose I fall into that category. You made it sound like quite good fun. Now how to sell it to Mr Eggy?:confused:

Link to the show in question here:

That sounds great. I’ve started going back to the theatre after years of being without childcare and then illness making it impossible. I’m lucky enough to be an hour in the train into London and half an hour drive to Stratford upon Avon for the RSC. Theatre has the benefit of matinees whereas gigs and late nights leave me very fatigued (I still do them for acts I love). And yes unfortunately drinks do cost that much in London The ABBA experience sounds like a lot of fun. In our family my husband is more of a fan than I am. Maybe I should book it for his birthday.

I remember coach trips.to.shows when I was a kid. I remember Evita, The King and I and Sound of Music.
Apparently, I also.went to.a pantomime at the Palladium starring Frankie Howard. But he was too scary so I spent the show facing the back of my seat.
I lived closer to London so.always returned that night. But it was late which added to the fun.
I think the trips were arranged by my Dad's work.

I forgot to mention that the trip worked out cheaper than we could have done it by organising it ourselves and taking the car. The car in question being a diesel SUV that consistently acheives 45 MPG. All the planning, booking navigating and parking that we would have had to do was taken care of. So definitely good value for money.

My new experience is a broken arm. Never broken any bones before.
I wouldn’t recommend it. A coach to a show sounds far more fun.

As a teenager I broke a small bone in my wrist falling off a motorbike. I had to wear a cast for a few weeks and for years afterwards the joint would get very sore in cold damp weather.

On the subject of coach trips, the next one is possibly going to be to the Bach museum in Leibzig. I would prefer to fly but wifey would prefer not to so we'll see. Either way it will make for an exciting adventure that will be worth writing about.

We have an excellent local coach company. Two coaches up to London and back each day.
I can use the (Very) early coach to go up and visit an exhibition/matinee/The Globe/… have a good meal and then the late bus back. Drinks and snacks served. An exhausting day but so easy.

As a teenager I broke a small bone in my wrist falling off a motorbike. I had to wear a cast for a few weeks and for years afterwards the joint would get very sore in cold damp weather.
My arm has been in a cast for six days and I am bored with it.
Most of the time, there is no pain but involuntary movements, like trying to catch something my good hand dropped or rebalancing from the tiniest slip which I would not notice normally, can result in a temporary shooting pain.
The biggest problem for me is not being able to do simple things like cook and dress because I am very independent and hate asking for help.
Sorry, I didn’t mean my self pity to send your thread on a tangent.

Sounds like a perfect date and a lovely mini-break. Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to your next post like this. Good to read someone having a good time. I am still not retiring age but as a child coach day trip with my gran was special. So this sounds like something I would really enjoy at any age.

My daughter is currently in Pasadena with her partner who is attending a conference there. She is sending us lots of exciting photos including several of the Hollywood sign. So they are certainly having a good time.

Back